Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Flipping the axle

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  peter83 
#1 ·
Is it possible to flip the rear axle on a gen 4? I was messing with it today, and couldn't seem to get it. It looks like the axle could possibly be smaller on the left side. Just curious if anybody has done this, and is it possible?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 ·
I've always flipped mine so the nut is on the right side. I find it easier to get everything lined up when coming in from the left side. And the wheel doesn't step out when torquing the nut down - it just pushes against the alignment bolt and stays right where you set it.

This was a trick I picked up on the 6r forums from an old road racer. I've never had any ill effects from running it this way, my best guess would be that if the bearings ceased to the axle somehow, forward rotation on the wheel could potentially spin the axle and loosen the nut? The same scenario on the left side would just spin/tighten the nut and lock the wheel. But hey, I'm not an engineer so maybe there's some other reason they do this.

#4 ·
I've always flipped mine so the nut is on the right side. I find it easier to get everything lined up when coming in from the left side. And the wheel doesn't step out when torquing the nut down - it just pushes against the alignment bolt and stays right where you set it.
:+1:

I'm on a Gen 2, so not sure about a Gen 4, but I've always flip mine
as well, nut to right side on all my bikes (if it wasn't already).

#6 ·
Try putting the bike on a rear stand, and putting a couple wood blocks under the tires so it only drops a tiny bit. This will help you get used to getting it through that side. You can also get it halfway through and let go of the wheel, the axle will support the weight of the wheel while you line up the caliper carrier.

#13 · (Edited)
Yes, I go in from the left and way easier. I do NOT use the cotter pin. 100 lbs of torque wrench keeps the nut on perfectly. Also, I barely get 2k miles on tires. I have over 48k miles on g4. The axle has been installed from the left since 800 miles. dots connected. :)

two 2x10's, stacked, under rear help. Also, when you pull the sprocket out, watch for the bushing on the inside of the sprocket as that likes to fall out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.