Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help understanding something about the gen 4 with all the different mapping and everything I have heard people say they are doing.

the ecu flash removes the restrictions set on the bike (I understand that part). But with that if I had a PC5 that would allow a custom map. but the autotune/ custom dyno I'm failing to see how this all goes together as far as which is better.

Ive seen people say they just going to go the flash rout where they don't need a PC5 (does that mean they can add a custom map to the ecu or something?). Then I hear people doing both flash and PC5. then I hear people doing flash, PC5, and custom but not auto tune (will autotune be better or equal or less to the custom map?). And I've heard people doing everything.

I'm just confused on what rout I want to take and the difference in these choices on the gen 4 with the flash, PC5, auto tune, and custom map. Basically educate me, a member of the :shortbus: on this one. Thank you for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
306 Posts
the reflash will alter your bikes character in many ways electronically including the map refinements, it will not be a "custom" map but it will be optimized for your mods. But also many things are changed that the power commander has no ability to do. These include timing advance fuel cut and secondary throttle manipulation. the PCV adjust only fueling trims. All an auto tune does is monitor the a/f mixture via O2 sensor and bias the trims that the PCV uses.
My recommendation as someone who did this in the WRONG order is get the flash. You will be satisfied. I wasnt going to put the PCV and auto tune back in but I decided to try it to see how it felt and just left them in. the PCV and auto tune have smoothed the fueling a tiny bit they now add no power ....its there already!
I would have been happy with the flash only.

·
Street Villan
72 Posts
I went the Flash PCV and Dyno route, Flash gave me the power the PCV gave me the A/F ratio and the dyno perfected it. granted its the most expensive way to go but it runs at 100 percent. I have no experience with auto tune, but it is 200+ dollars and a dyno isnt that much more. theres no reason to get a PCV unless your going to tune it. i rather a dyno. IMO

·
Newfie Bullet
2,342 Posts
Here is my simple suggestion...
Get the full flash(software/ecu flash/pc cable)
Buy the wego 3 set up..
Study what you want out of the bike and make changes as you see fit..Getting a full flash leaves the ability to make adjustments with added parts later down the rd..Partial flash,your stuck with what you got unless you send it back to have an updated flash that matches your new mods..Plus all the stuff thats been posted above me..
heres a link to the wego..
http://www.daytona-sensors.com/WEGO3.html

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is my simple suggestion...
Get the full flash(software/ecu flash/pc cable)
Buy the wego 3 set up..
Study what you want out of the bike and make changes as you see fit..Getting a full flash leaves the ability to make adjustments with added parts later down the rd..Partial flash,your stuck with what you got unless you send it back to have an updated flash that matches your new mods..Plus all the stuff thats been posted above me..
heres a link to the wego..
http://www.daytona-sensors.com/WEGO3.html
isnt wego 3 just a PC5 but different brand?

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
It's my understanding that a WEGO is used for data logging and then you take that information to customize your map

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Man that pipe is sick , how's it sound ?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
What zed ex said, flash, custom dyno tune, then u know the afr the bike likes, not what u think it likes. Cant tell your engine what afr is best for it, it has to tell u being tuned, otherwise u will lose hp and not tune, but detune shooting for a specific afr.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Im doing the PC and reflash on the 14

·
Registered
836 Posts
Still confused

Did a complete reflash give you accss to the entire parameters of the ecu, with the cable I mean....??

So if you have complete access to the ecu you can modify, a/f and fire advance ???

So if I'm right you got you full reflash ecu, and some kind of other device and you can go on a dyno and modified your parameters until everything is correctly set, so no needs for a PC V ???

If the logic are there you can do whatever you can if you have complete access to the ecu, with a reflash and the cable and everything, but need to go to dyno each time you modifiy the bike.

O"k if I don't understand well tell me. A full reflash give you access to all modification you need.

Need someone who have better understanding of all this thing. And not a salesman of PC V Bazazz or other....

·
Registered
585 Posts
Do competition racers use PC or BAzzaz units? Don't know for sure, but I think they just use a RACE ECU. From what I understand, which I believe is correct. You have access and control of EVERYTHING with a RACE ECU. No need for anything else. Period.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do competition racers use PC or BAzzaz units? Don't know for sure, but I think they just use a RACE ECU. From what I understand, which I believe is correct. You have access and control of EVERYTHING with a RACE ECU. No need for anything else. Period.
but does a (reflashed ecu = race ecu) is the real question then with what you are saying.

Im glad im not the only one confused on this though with what ninja_12r2000 is saying

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I think a lot of people are confused in thinking with the reflash they don't need a power commandee any more

·
Registered
585 Posts
I think a lot of people are confused in thinking with the reflash they don't need a power commandee any more
Can you explain why that isn't the case? A PCV may be necessary to SUPER fine tune the bike, but 99% of the people on this forum won't be able to tell the difference IMHO

·
Registered
410 Posts
Can you explain why that isn't the case? A PCV may be necessary to SUPER fine tune the bike, but 99% of the people on this forum won't be able to tell the difference IMHO
I can only speak from the perspective of a gen 3 owner, but when you get a flash, they will ask you what mods you have and do a map based on that. It may not be perfect, but unless you are a pro racer i cant imagine you would notice the diff in performance between a programmed flash and a pcv map. Not to mention, when you get a flash you gain considerable performance compared to a nonflashed bike

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
The bike can, and that is what matters. And who is to say the average rider won't notice an extra 5hp and smooth powerband? Id still do it to maximize the potential. I mean what's another $200 for a PC after thousands spent in parts and labor?

Just my thoughts though

·
Registered
585 Posts
The bike can, and that is what matters. And who is to say the average rider won't notice an extra 5hp and smooth powerband? Id still do it to maximize the potential. I mean what's another $200 for a PC after thousands spent in parts and labor?

Just my thoughts though
Again, just my opinion.. But because it's not just $200. It's $265 for the PCV & another $250 for the auto tune or $300/min for each dyno. You just bought yourself an unnoticable 5HP max for $500. I understand your point, and if that's what you gotta do, go for it. I just don't think it's a necessity for many on this forum. Myself included.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Not to mention that extra 5HP will be WAY up top

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
My pc was 200. If you have to justify not doing it to make yourself feel better then don't do it by all means. No one is forcing you but just bc you got one doesn't mean you don't need the other.

Even if you use the 500 number still well worth it in my book, obviously not in yours.

·
Registered
585 Posts
My pc was 200. If you have to justify not doing it to make yourself feel better then don't do it by all means. No one is forcing you but just bc you got one doesn't mean you don't need the other.

Even if you use the 500 number still well worth it in my book, obviously not in yours.
Yea, I get where your coming from. I would like my bike to run at 100% all the time, the pocket book just dosent allow it. If i had the money, I would have the flash, PCV, autotune, custom dyno. The works! I deff see where your coming from, don't get me wrong.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts