Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I got a 2018 zx10r and just recently popped on a graves cat eliminator exhaust and flashed on a woolich map in the mapshare called "DaemonTools" or something along those lines.
During throttle off scenarios above 5k or so my bike will shoot out a blue flame and sometimes it's pretty damn excessive, lol. I understand the main reason these flames are happening are because of the air pump injecting fresh air through the exhaust that should have been detonating into the now non-existent cat but is this actually harming anything besides my passenger's legs?
I know there's the block off plates that I can install but if it's just an annoyance and not really affecting anything else I figured i'd just keep sending it until I have my airbox out however my buddy is telling me that it's probably harming my valves/heads which I'm a bit skeptical of, but i'm by no means an expert!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,973 Posts
Well, yeah you're hurting it blowing flames out!

You aren't hurting the motor itself, but the exhaust packing is getting damaged from that. The fuel mapping is overly rich which is putting the unburned fuel out the exhaust valve and into the pipe. Add some fresh air and you get a flame out the tailpipe. The valves aren't affected from it since the flame happens well downstream with the air moving away from the valves. I wouldn't be worried about the engine itself, but I would be worried about the exhaust packing (and ultimately the canister) being damaged. And I'd be concerned a bit about the tune being so rich. So flames are normal without the cat and the air injection system. A few pops on decel is one thing. But longer, more consistent flame propagation in the exhaust is something else. Block off plates or plugging the KLEEN system will take care of the flames themselves, but they won't lean out the mixture any.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, yeah you're hurting it blowing flames out!

You aren't hurting the motor itself, but the exhaust packing is getting damaged from that. The fuel mapping is overly rich which is putting the unburned fuel out the exhaust valve and into the pipe. Add some fresh air and you get a flame out the tailpipe. The valves aren't affected from it since the flame happens well downstream with the air moving away from the valves. I wouldn't be worried about the engine itself, but I would be worried about the exhaust packing (and ultimately the canister) being damaged. And I'd be concerned a bit about the tune being so rich. So flames are normal without the cat and the air injection system. A few pops on decel is one thing. But longer, more consistent flame propagation in the exhaust is something else. Block off plates or plugging the KLEEN system will take care of the flames themselves, but they won't lean out the mixture any.
Awesome, appreciate the response! Block off plates it is, lol
Not as concerned about the canister as I am damaging the motor.. but I'd still rather not have to replace that ;)

Dyno tune is in the works too.. hopefully next season!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Don't worry, exhaust packing only costs about $20-40 and is pretty easy to re-do assuming you have a rivet gun. My bike shoots quite a bit of sweet flame and so I re-packed after 2 years and 30,000km. Surprisingly the original packing was totally fine and so I re-did it for nothing.

Reactions: tjg312
1 - 5 of 5 Posts