Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody i'm changing the idle gear cover and starter cover and two of the bottom bolt from the idle gear cover were grinded off sorry i know that not a real word i was wondering whats the best way to get the bolt out being it has no head sorry the pic has alot of glar on it

Attachments

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
you need to drill a small hole in the center and use an easy-out... go to your local hardware store they can help ya out with what to buy

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
whats a easy out ? something to basiclly take striped screws
A easyout looks like a reveresed twisted thread tap well .....kinda.Once you drill the small whole into the broken bolt to get it started you turn it to the LEFT and it pulls itself tight(with the reversed flutes) as you turn it and will hopefully cause the broke off bolt to back out with it.Try to use a center punch to get your drill started as well centered as you can. Hope this helps ya out.The main thing is to be very careful with the drill not to drill through one side or the other try to keep it as straight and through the center as possible!Good luck.:wink:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Hey man after lookin at your pics again if i know what im lookin at you might be able to grind the chewed up heads kinda lfush with the cover take the rest of them out get the cover off then get some small visegrips on whats left sticking up and turn them out without drillin them????Just a idea:idea:.

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
I also think there is locktite on these threads,........so ya might wanna take a micro torch or something similar to heat up that bolt a lil before ya attempt to take it out.......just a thought.............a propane torch would work too........just dont destroy anything in and around it(wires clips etc).........and ya aint gotta get it cherry red,.............just warmed up a lil to loosen that locktite material!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also think there is locktite on these threads,........so ya might wanna take a micro torch or something similar to heat up that bolt a lil before ya attempt to take it out.......just a thought.............a propane torch would work too........just dont destroy anything in and around it(wires clips etc).........and ya aint gotta get it cherry red,.............just warmed up a lil to loosen that locktite material!
Thanks for that info about the locktite thats important to know before starting the job

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everybody i got a good set of idea's to go with and now know were to start i'm use the easyout tool first and see were its goes from there thanks again everybody

1 - 8 of 8 Posts