Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys just wondering if u can offer some advice!
My Bike is a 2005 zx10r track bike with kit Ecu and kit loom and was wondering if it's possible to fit a gear indicator to the bike.
The reason I ask is that I think u require a rpm and speed signal for it to work. The rev counter still works on the bike so that takes care of the rpm signal but I have no working speedo or speed sensor? I think!!
The bike was club raced before I got it so all the work was done previous to me hence why I'm not 100% sure on what has been done.
I've seen the cheap gear indicators that work of magnets instead of wire signals, but concerned that they might b crap and unreliable. But I suppose it would get round the speedo/sensor problem.
I hope this makes sense, ur input much appreciated.
Tim.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,542 Posts
Of course you can. The Gen 1 has a gear position indicator built into it. The info goes to the ECU for per gear changes and just never gets displayed on the cluster. The healtech GIPro should tie directly to that. You don't need the speed/rpm signals.

Looks here for some reference and search. Lots of information for the gear indicators on the Gen 1. Bluedevil even built his own!

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f23/gen-1-gipro-ds-series-212234.html

FYI, I'm running one of the older magnet based indicators on my ZX-7R. Works great, although the indications are slower since it has to sample the data for a bit longer. But certainly not crap or unreliable once programmed.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
the DS series prob won't work for his bike, since that has to plugged into the Diagnostic port, unless his kit loom still has that on it. If it doesn't the others versions offered should work fine.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,542 Posts
the DS series prob won't work for his bike, since that has to plugged into the Diagnostic port, unless his kit loom still has that on it. If it doesn't the others versions offered should work fine.

Hmm, good to know. Didn't realize the diagnostic port I'd removed with the kit harness.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
What you need to do is fabricate a Speed Sensor mount next to the Sprocket nut but it has to be an edge type sprocket nut that's how the speed sensor works on the Gen 1. We had a member a long time ago do this but that thread is so hidden it will be hard to find.

The other option is getting a gear indicator that goes off the Gear selector voltages but I believe that version I use to make and sell is not available I don't sell them anymore since my parts store went out of business......I am going to check to see what I still have left though maybe will be able to make a few down the road. :dontknow:

Bloo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply's guys, it's all interesting stuff, I might plump for a magnet type indicator for the time being and see how I get on. ��

1 - 6 of 6 Posts