Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
New member...
My question would be If you would be able to "adapt" all the brake lines and the ABS module of the same year bike, to a non ABS version
My questions are, would I need to change the ECU? Or the dashboard?
Mine is a 2013 Zx10r, and has all the sensors on the wheels (I believe are the same for the Traction Control) and I can gather all the OEM piping and ABS module on ebay for fairly cheap, would it work? or are the bikes way to different to adapt this ABS?
Thanks

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,396 Posts
Greetings!

Anything is possible if you have enough time, money, and motivation. I don't understand why you'd really want to do that, but you could.

It will take a whole lot more than just those things to do it though. The ABS hydraulic unit is only the main piece. It cross-talks to the ECU to actually work and requires power to the unit itself. You'd likely need an ABS electrical harness along with the hydraulic unit. Add a couple fuses to power it through that harness and you should be able to reflash the ECU with the ABS version. Not sure on that, but that should be easy enough. Otherwise, you'd need the ABS ECU. Then you'd need the instrument cluster for that if you want the indications. Yes, the ABS model uses significantly different plumbing for it all, including several rigid lines that mount around the engine. You'd have to pull the swingarm off to mount those unless you intend to use that. Those are a PITA to take off even, let alone install for the first time. And you'd have to mount the ABS pump to the motor and plug it in.

The wheel speed sensors are all the same since they are primarily for the TC, not ABS. ABS just uses the signal from them to control the pump. So while you could technically do that conversion, it would not be that cheap and would take some effort to do it all. There's a reason the ABS model adds a $1,000 to the price of it all. Good luck with it if that's what you want to tackle.

·
Registered
2011 ZX-10R. Black bikes matter!
67 Posts
Hello everyone!
New member...
My question would be If you would be able to "adapt" all the brake lines and the ABS module of the same year bike, to a non ABS version
My questions are, would I need to change the ECU? Or the dashboard?
Mine is a 2013 Zx10r, and has all the sensors on the wheels (I believe are the same for the Traction Control) and I can gather all the OEM piping and ABS module on ebay for fairly cheap, would it work? or are the bikes way to different to adapt this ABS?
Thanks
Before you go through all the frustration and headaches trying to retrofit your bike with ABS, I'd highly suggest trying to test ride one of the ABS bikes. Many riders, street and track, go the other way and disable/remove the factory system, as it is not universally liked.

It would be a shame to spend the time and money tracking down the parts and installing them, only to discover that you should've left it the way it was to begin with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before you go through all the frustration and headaches trying to retrofit your bike with ABS, I'd highly suggest trying to test ride one of the ABS bikes. Many riders, street and track, go the other way and disable/remove the factory system, as it is not universally liked.

It would be a shame to spend the time and money tracking down the parts and installing them, only to discover that you should've left it the way it was to begin with.
Thank you so very much for the response
But, as a matter of fact, I've been riding for around 9years now, more competitively in the last 3 years, I've used several bikes with and without ABS, And I am not ashamed to say that my last bike (MT07) save me a couple of times in an Emergency situation, and I would like that peace of mind with a way faster and stronger bike like the Zx10.

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
1,042 Posts
Thank you so very much for the response
But, as a matter of fact, I've been riding for around 9years now, more competitively in the last 3 years, I've used several bikes with and without ABS, And I am not ashamed to say that my last bike (MT07) save me a couple of times in an Emergency situation, and I would like that peace of mind with a way faster and stronger bike like the Zx10.
I second this, the abs on the zx-10r has saved me once in 9 years! That’s a win in my book, it’s never been a hinderance to me personally.

You can always pull the fuse to temporarily disable abs for the track, if you need to.

Rob

·
Registered
Gen4 '14 ZX10R ABS
14 Posts
Honestly, the gen4 ZX10R has one of the poorest ABS's, so even if its possible I would recommend you dont do that. Also, this gen doesn't have the strongest brakes either anyway. Maybe consider swapping the motorcycle for an ABS version or consider an upgrade. This will be too much money and effort just for a poor upgrade.

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
1,042 Posts
I would also agree, who the hell has time to bother TRYING to retrofit the abs! Although I don’t agree with the poor abs implementation, nor poor brakes line. But everyone has different experiences!

·
Registered
479 Posts
ABS has almost been the death of me on more accounts then I would bother to remember. The money you would spend on the retrofit would be MUCH better spent on a performance riding course to learn the potential of the stock braking system and become confident with it. IMO ABS on cars makes total sense, on motorcycles not so much unless VERY special circumstance like BRAND NEW rider in the rain. For me ABS takes away control of the motorcycle and decides for you. As soon as that rear tire goes in the air it will go nuts and prevent you from stopping shorter. With ABS your stopping distance will be greater than without. That alone is the main reason I will never ride with abs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts