Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to post up on the forums, I just signed up for my first track day with my sexy zx10. I'm pretty stoked. Just gotta figure out the small stuff and tire choice

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
welcome. it's great, there's a lot to learn, take it easy, don't expect to be rossi and dont worry about getting passed, leave your ego at home, learn from instructors, start with basics, bring shade, a seat, and extra water. start with q3's or drc's as they both work as great track tires and can be ridden on the street. have the suspension guy at the track set your bike up, its usually 40 bucks ish. no question is a dumb question, either, ask away. honestly it's far more satisfying as an instructor to help someone willing to learn, instead of having to track down someone in the pits and tell them they're being unsafe

·
Chairman of the Board
16,049 Posts
welcome. it's great, there's a lot to learn, take it easy, don't expect to be rossi and dont worry about getting passed, leave your ego at home, learn from instructors, start with basics, bring shade, a seat, and extra water. start with q3's or drc's as they both work as great track tires and can be ridden on the street. have the suspension guy at the track set your bike up, its usually 40 bucks ish. no question is a dumb question, either, ask away. honestly it's far more satisfying as an instructor to help someone willing to learn, instead of having to track down someone in the pits and tell them they're being unsafe
Write down everything he said. Its all 100% perfect advice. I would add only two things. Have fun. Ride at YOUR pace and as naked said "leave your ego at home". The second is get ready to spend every waking moment obsessing about how you can get back and do it again. Its more addictive than heroin.

Oh and report back!! We want pics and a run down of how it went.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Write down everything he said. Its all 100% perfect advice. I would add only two things. Have fun. Ride at YOUR pace and as naked said "leave your ego at home". The second is get ready to spend every waking moment obsessing about how you can get back and do it again. Its more addictive than heroin.

Oh and report back!! We want pics and a run down of how it went.
i spent my first year literally dreaming of the corners, and when i was awake, closing my eyes and running the track in my head almost every waking moment, thinking of brake markers, lines, when to hit the throttle, etc...yeah no it's totally not addicting...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts

:mod_smilie_+1:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I have 5yrs of Roadracing experience, but that was back in the mid 80’s. I’ll be doing my first track days sometime this spring and I have a question for you guys; how much of the bike should I remove? Mirrors, signals, etc.. do lights need to be taped up? should the kickstand be zip-tied up? license plate removed? Of course all this stuff was completely removed from my racebikes back in the day, but I’ve never done a track day so not sure what is expected. For instance if they allow you to leave your mirrors on, I’m not sure if I would want to spend any of my $10 of attention on what’s behind me. Not sure if it would be too distracting or not. On the other hand if you take all these parts off your bike and then wad it up on the track, how do you explain the mint-condition mirrors/signals to the insurance company when you try to make your claim? Re-install them and then tow your bike out to a canyon and push it over the edge? Then looking at a reckless/negligent driving ticket from highway patrol. Curious on your thoughts..

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I have 5yrs of Roadracing experience, but that was back in the mid 80’s. I’ll be doing my first track days sometime this spring and I have a question for you guys; how much of the bike should I remove? Mirrors, signals, etc.. do lights need to be taped up? should the kickstand be zip-tied up? license plate removed? Of course all this stuff was completely removed from my racebikes back in the day, but I’ve never done a track day so not sure what is expected. For instance if they allow you to leave your mirrors on, I’m not sure if I would want to spend any of my $10 of attention on what’s behind me. Not sure if it would be too distracting or not. On the other hand if you take all these parts off your bike and then wad it up on the track, how do you explain the mint-condition mirrors/signals to the insurance company when you try to make your claim? Re-install them and then tow your bike out to a canyon and push it over the edge? Then looking at a reckless/negligent driving ticket from highway patrol. Curious on your thoughts..
Every track day org is a bit different check the website of the org you will be doing the track day with. You can probably keep the mirrors just tape them over but if you fall down it will add additional cost to your repairs have you looked at what mirrors cost kind of expensive. You shouldn't. have to do anything with the kickstand. Most track day orgs will have you remove the license plate. Some track day orgs will let you run oem coolant in the lower classes but if you ride A you will need water wetter or Engine ice for coolant. Lights and signals must be taped up. If your riding a Gen 4 im sure you know how easy it is to remove the mirrors and fuses. Most insurance companies will cover you at track day as it is considered a rider training day. I know several guys that have fallen at track day and their insurance covered the damage. key word here is rider training day. I'm a track day junkie. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
really good point on the "training day," especially if there is a school involved. thanks!

·
Registered
632 Posts
What???? I know of no insurance company that will cover you on a track day.

If someone can name just "1" insurance company I'd like to know.

Some people think they know, but better check with your insurance company.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
:mod_smilie_+1:
is there supposed to be a photo in that post??

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I have 5yrs of Roadracing experience, but that was back in the mid 80’s. I’ll be doing my first track days sometime this spring and I have a question for you guys; how much of the bike should I remove? Mirrors, signals, etc.. do lights need to be taped up? should the kickstand be zip-tied up? license plate removed? .
all depends on the trackday group. usually, if you tape stuff over you're good, i'd take the license plate off cuz well, you'd be amazed how much stuff i've seen fly off a bike at the track. i'd just show up early and take off the mirrors and tape stuff up, only takes about 15 minutes. taped mirrors annoy me as in, in my field of vision they're distracting to me when on the track. but when i rode with PTT at thunderhill, they didnt care what you did, literally, no tape, nothin lol so just give em a call/email to double check but it should be on their website too

What???? I know of no insurance company that will cover you on a track day.

If someone can name just "1" insurance company I'd like to know.

Some people think they know, but better check with your insurance company.
progressive. on technicality. if the track day org is a "school" then you're taking safety classes, and it's covered and as long as you maintain you did not exceed highway speeds. ask me how i know.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm going this spring too. Glad to read the mirrors are easy to take off.

Since I'm getting HID's, I'm getting a switch added to remove power from ALL lights to avoid wasting power generating light that will be blocked from tape.

Nervous energy for sure....

·
Registered
632 Posts
all depends on the trackday group. usually, if you tape stuff over you're good, i'd take the license plate off cuz well, you'd be amazed how much stuff i've seen fly off a bike at the track. i'd just show up early and take off the mirrors and tape stuff up, only takes about 15 minutes. taped mirrors annoy me as in, in my field of vision they're distracting to me when on the track. but when i rode with PTT at thunderhill, they didnt care what you did, literally, no tape, nothin lol so just give em a call/email to double check but it should be on their website too

progressive. on technicality. if the track day org is a "school" then you're taking safety classes, and it's covered and as long as you maintain you did not exceed highway speeds. ask me how i know.
Well my Progessive Policy is quite clear....

EXCLUSIONS - READ THE FOLLOWING EXCLUSIONS CAREFULLY. IF AN EX-CLUSION APPLIES, COVERAGE WILL NOT BE AFFORDED UNDER THIS PART IV.

b. any riding activity conducted on a permanent or temporary racetrack, racecourse, or during any closed course event.

I think track days would fall under the "any riding activity" I did not see anything in my policy that even mentions "not exceeding highway speeds",
"Safety training", "school" etc. A Track Day is a Track Day on a closed coarse/racetrack. I guess some people could try bull shitting the insurance company, good luck with that. I'll digress.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
All good info, thanks.
As for the debate on insurance coverage, my guess is it would be a very hard sell to disclose riding on the track and file a successful claim.
Back in my racing days it was common to hear about guys that would take their wrecked bike, bolt the gear back on and then push it off a cliff on Mulholland dr. in the Los Angeles area.
Anybody know anybody that has gone that route?
Knock on wood though.. last thing I want to deal with is dropping my brand new gen4

·
Registered
615 Posts
Statefarm Insurance will cover anything but a timed event, so just riding a track day is covered. I had a friend that crashed on a track day and Statefarm paid him, knowing where he crashed and that it was track riding.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts