Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my first trackday with her. Wasnt racing so decided to take it relatively easy with her and take time to figure out her ways. L mode as expected was a breeze but the way it cuts down the throttle response and the speed of the engine spinning up makes you want for more. Thought what the hell, lets take it to FULL power. What i least expected was the brutal acceleration she threw at me down the main straights. Hung onto dear life as the front wheel refused to touch tarmac while i quickshifted my way down the straight. INSANE fun !!!! :thumbsup: I mean I have ridden litre bike at the track before but this sweetheart is something special.

The stock tyres held up well to two days of track use but from the look of things wont really substitute Pirelli SuperCorsas (getting a set before the next trackday for sure). Braking from the Brembos was good too and the bike felt really compact compared to the 2010 R1 which I had ridden previously.

ONE ISSUE - a couple of times on starting her up over these two days, she would fire up briefly but immediatly cut off. Almost like stalling. After 2-3 attempts with similar results, I would immediately open up the throttle a bit post ignition to keep her up on the revs for a few seconds and then she would stabilize into a regular idle. Any idea what could be causing this? The bike has done 1200 kms so far.

Attachments

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,974 Posts
Glad you had fun!

I wouldn't be worried about the throttle issue. Most bikes have a harder time getting up to speed when hot. It takes some time for the electronics to adjust with the "idle up" circuit once started. This is may be aspirated by the fact the primary throttle is ride by wire and they just aren't quick enough to adjust for the few seconds after start up. Two things you can do to help it that I would try. Hold the starter button just a tad longer than you normally do to make sure you get a good couple revs as the motor lights off. A TAD bit! Also try cracking the throttle open just a minuscule amount as you're cranking it. The ride-by-wire may well ignore your command, but it may also see that command and get the primaries open a bit more.

As always, make sure you wait to start until the cluster goes through it's song and dance and the fuel pump finishes priming. Don't turn the key and hit the button.

Also, that last pic of the bike on the stands is top-notch! I've saved that pic and will fap to it later. One of the best pics of the G5 I've seen.:cartwheel:

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
My 2016 does the same thing when hot. Also sometimes it dies instead of idling when moving and pull in the clutch and let off the throttle (also when hot). Odd that my 2014 doesn't have that issue. Good job on not crashing it into the tire wall! :)

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
Yes, learn the track. And that takes time and time and time and time is money. Wait about the start to see what you're doing. Solutions are there.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad you had fun!
Hold the starter button just a tad longer than you normally do to make sure you get a good couple revs as the motor lights off. A TAD bit! Also try cracking the throttle open just a minuscule amount as you're cranking it. The ride-by-wire may well ignore your command, but it may also see that command and get the primaries open a bit more.

As always, make sure you wait to start until the cluster goes through it's song and dance and the fuel pump finishes priming. Don't turn the key and hit the button.

Also, that last pic of the bike on the stands is top-notch! I've saved that pic and will fap to it later. One of the best pics of the G5 I've seen.:cartwheel:
Thanks SkyDork. I am always careful of letting the bike run through its electronic checks and priming before i crank her. Just that did not expect this issue to show up. Will try following your suggestion.
Yesterday when I took the bike back home from the yard post the trackday, there were no starting issues. Will anyways keep an eye out for it reappearing.

Will pass on your compliments to the photographer. The guy is a pro who shoots Formula 1 and MotoGP so I expect nothing less from his camera :notworthy:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts