Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, got my first track day coming up at Jennings GP on the 28th, as a Track day Virgin, I was wounder if anyone here would like to give me any advice. Maybe to riding advice per say, that'll come later, but generic things to expect at the track, good things to bring with to the track, etc etc... Thanks guys, im pretty pumped for this!

·
Registered
399 Posts
I will be there on Friday, Feb 20th for their semi-private day as my first track day!
You must be as excited as I am!
I've been riding for 20+ years and this will be my first track day!

·
Is still Slo
1,538 Posts
Theres a slew of things you should bring, heres just a few.... But most stuff if you don't have, others will let you borrow it.

-Tire gauge
-Sunblock!!!!
-Painters tape
-water and food (good to hydrate at least 2 days before)
-extra fuel
-shade......canopy and chair is a life saver out there.....
-and ...a good attitude, be a sponge out there, take all information from others in and apply/practice it.
-Don't get impatient and try to be all wild and fast. Learn the lines, get smooth with transitioning from turn to turn, braking and accelerating.

Let us know how it goes...... Good to have someone with a camcorder/camera so you can see how you really were doing, not how you thought you were doing. Most people are surprised they don't look like Rossi their first time out. ;)

·
Is still Slo
1,538 Posts
Oh yeah....couple things. If you see a crash, don't stop... Keep going and if needed, pull off the track in the pit area.

Also, don't get out of anyones way, let them find a safe way around you if they want to pass. If it's a 600, you can be courteous and not blast down the front straight so that he/she can pass.....

·
Registered
794 Posts
Get into ANY rider orientation the track day org may have that morning. It may help to hook up with one of the staff and get some laps in with them as well. It helps to learn the correct way to enter and exit the track as well as what is expected of you when you are circulating the track under normal conditions. Your 1st track day should be ALL about track day edict, and not on speed. Eat a good breakfast and stay hydrated no matter how cold it may be. Make it a learning day, and don't hold lap time as your main goal. Don't ride based on ego or emotion no matter what.
Have fun and survive your 1st day ..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
530 Posts
first track day is most dangerous. all these years watching racing and you're finaly going to the track and gonna show everyone that you were right when you said you could race AMA. canyon riders are the worst. next thing you know you're crying in the ambulance. sounds like you been riding a while though so my advise is follow an instructor as much as possible unless he is outdoing the pace your comfortable with then pull them aside later and ask if they'll drag you arround.my philosaphy is if I'm comfortable I'm not going fast enough but as a beginner there's sooooo much to learn you should NEVER be uncomfortable with your speed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
have lots of water, don`t look behind you, focus on evrything in front don`t worry about people behind you they will pass

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
good advise from everyone above...remember have fun!

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
oh...and theyll beat this into your head with a sledge hammer, but brute force isnt what makes you fast...finesse and silky smooth actions are what make you fast...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts