Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a vid of my first track day! All I ask is if you dont want to watch the whole thing (kinda long) then at least watch from 10min on! I felt really good through there! I played with different mounts, but LOVED this one!

Track was at VIR. Had a great time expecialy since I had NEVER ridden a track before! WOW was it unreal!!! :badteeth: Did most of the track in 2nd-3rd. First lap I was just getting the rubber warm, but I think its pretty good after that. The video is of my 4th 17min session out! Let me know what you guys think? Be gental though, im just learning!

Enjoy!
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/VIR-North-Course-Side-Cam_695216.htm

·
Registered
499 Posts
Is that the wide angle hero cam? I do the samething and check it about 8 times before i start. LOL can't see that little red light for shit.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea its a gopro wide. Sweet camra for the money! Deff cant see the red light tho! All n all I think I did pretty good for my first time out? I was in the lowest of 4 groups since I had never been on track before. Some of us "beginner group" guys (and gals) we hanging out between sessions n when they saw me watching this vid on my laptop they were like WHOLY $h!t!?! Haha! Good times for sure. Im going to try to make a level one school soon! I couldnt believe how great the stock bt16's felt out there! (30psi F/R) I'll post up some pics of them off my phone!

Any advice for next time from the "track guys?" Im really iinterested in what you guys think of my video???

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Preps not too bad there. All you need to do for beginners class is remove mirrors/tape lights/safety wire the oil filter/remove plate(I saw a bunch just taped over)run water/water wetter/zip tie passenger pegs. You only have to high temp seal the oil drain plug and oil filler cap too. (Only beginners can though)

I didnt pull the fuses because its easier to just unplug all the lights and ziptie the conectors in there somewhere. I also forgot to ziptie the pegs, but they never cared? I didnt even notice untill I was leaving! Just be sure your helmet is less than 5yrs old, they will check. You need a back protector too but they didnt ask to see it? They gave us all a pat on the back to see if we were wearing it as we pulled on track.

My only advice is to TRAILER the bike there! I rode mine 4hrs the night before and stayed in a hotel. Then rode all day the next day, and half the day after that! Only to ride 4hrs back straight FROM THE TRACK! I managed to get a speeding ticket for 69 in a 55, then rode in the POURNING rain for the last 2hrs!?! Wow that day SUCKED!!! :badteeth:

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Congrats on your first of what will likely be many trackdays. Looked like you were doing a good job of taking it easy and not trying to ride over your head the first time out. What trackday org. did you ride with? Or was it just a open trackday kind of thing?

Like I mentioned, it looks like you aren't riding over your head and you've figured out it's best to not ride to/from the track so the main advice I can give is to keep your eyes and ears open to advice/lines from the experienced guys, be safe, and have fun. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice! We were riding with MAD (Mid Atlantic Ducati) And hosted with the staff from cornerspeed.net. I got to ride a little with Aaron Stevens (if you know who he is?) and a bunch of his staff. It was really helpful! They would mix in with everyone and signal us to follow them, and then follow us to help teach us lines. I knew when I left the house that I was there to "ride my ride" and never felt over my head at all! Not that I didnt have a few OH $H!T moments! Ha,ha!! I have a LONG track life ahead of me, and there were NO LAP TIMES!;) Not for beginners anyways!

That first session out was kinda scarry too! NOTHING like the street! Even in the fast straight I couldnt bring myself to do more than 130-140mph because of the fear of turn one! Funny though because turn one is a decreasing radius and it was my favorite turn! I could carry a good amount of speed in and TONS of lean angle and knee dragging!

We did have a LOT of wrecks though! 7 the first day alone! Hell one was an instructor!?! No "serious" injuries though. Just some bruised egos!

(Thinking back a LOT of the crashes were in turn 1?)

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
that is great, looks like you had a lot of fun. were you nervous before your started, right after you adjusted the camera you looked like your throttle hand was twitchy. good vid and pics though, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Haha, good catch man! I was nervous before EVERY session that first day! Its hard to explain, but from the time they called the 10min warning to the time I turned into turn 1 My heart was in my throat! Once I got that first turn in though it all went away! You just kinda "sink into the bike" if that even makes sence? It sounds funny to say but it was kinda zen like! Like I was just looking at the track and then I was there. The bike was very easy to ride on track for sure! That video doesnt really start to get good until lap 2, and really gets good about 10min in if you made it that far?

In the classroom Aaron was talking about how we should "listen to the whispers" from the bike and that if the bike was "yelling at us" we were doing something wrong! That all made sence out there! The bars started to get really "light" in my hands, I had more weight in my pegs, and the inperfections in the track made the bike bounch/move "under me" instaed of moving ME around. Its really hard to explain but the less I fought the bike, the more I felt the track and in control. I wish I had video of day 2 because I was riding MUCH faster and really felt like the bike was "part of me"!

One big thing that stuck with me that he said is that "we are not bike RIDERS, we are bike PILOTS". Funny how much one track weekend can change your entire outlook on motorcycles!

·
Registered
764 Posts
I rode at VIR in May when I went to Keith Code's Superbike School. The track is definitely fun and technical. I know what you mean by turn 1. Turn 7 and turn 13 (turn 12a) were other corners which cauht my attention. I finally was able to get comfortable with going down the roller coaster without lifting off the seat of the bike. Turn 4 going into 5 and 6 was pretty fun with the quick left, right, and right.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
Haha, good catch man! I was nervous before EVERY session that first day! Its hard to explain, but from the time they called the 10min warning to the time I turned into turn 1 My heart was in my throat! Once I got that first turn in though it all went away! You just kinda "sink into the bike" if that even makes sence? It sounds funny to say but it was kinda zen like! Like I was just looking at the track and then I was there. The bike was very easy to ride on track for sure! That video doesnt really start to get good until lap 2, and really gets good about 10min in if you made it that far?

In the classroom Aaron was talking about how we should "listen to the whispers" from the bike and that if the bike was "yelling at us" we were doing something wrong! That all made sence out there! The bars started to get really "light" in my hands, I had more weight in my pegs, and the inperfections in the track made the bike bounch/move "under me" instaed of moving ME around. Its really hard to explain but the less I fought the bike, the more I felt the track and in control. I wish I had video of day 2 because I was riding MUCH faster and really felt like the bike was "part of me"!

One big thing that stuck with me that he said is that "we are not bike RIDERS, we are bike PILOTS". Funny how much one track weekend can change your entire outlook on motorcycles!
nervous can keep you alive, and makes it more fun when your done

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea I was a huge fan of turn 1 through 6! They warned us in advance that it was a pretty technical track! I didnt even break 100mph in too many spots!?! Next time maybe?:)

Yea my nerves were pretty shot before each run, but like I said, once I settled into the track it was ok. My lines got MUCH better day two also!!!:)

·
Registered
531 Posts
nice video homes Thanks for sharing!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not sure just yet? Im in the military, and they keep me pretty busy! I missed like 4-5 days before I cought this one! Im going to "try" to make the level 1 cornerspeed school in Aug, but we will see?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts