Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I participated in my first track day event this past Sunday at Putnam Park Road Course in Indiana. There were a total of 7, 20 minute sessions on-track for the novice group. The first two were basically follow the leader sessions with control riders and then they turned us loose and continued to circulate and provide one-on-one guidance as needed/requested. I have a laundry list of things to work on (body position, brake later, get on the throttle earlier on exit, better turn in points, the list goes on and on) but it was easily the most fun I've had on two wheels. I can't wait to get back out there at the end of September! I dusted off the GoPro and recorded the last session of the day. I was running Dunlop Q3's, and kept the power mode on Low and TC on 2 all day. I regret not exploring the Med and Full power modes but I was trying to minimize the "pucker factor" for my first time out haha.

Here's the video - https://youtu.be/xSnWkZYWdKo. The 1-4 minute mark is just me sitting in the hot pit waiting to go green so skip that if you watch.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Welcome to the darkside. Your hooked. lol Congrats on your first track day. Nice looking track lots of grass and plenty of runoff area.

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,132 Posts
Another addict :grin2: in the house!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
And it starts, haha. I've done 2 track days this year (first one ever was in May), got my 3rd one booked for this up coming sunday. Its addicting. I used my 08 ZX6R for most of the day and let loose my 2015 zx10r in full power mode but traction control on #2. Had a nasty speed wobble but got out of it pretty quick. This shit is like crack.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha thanks guys! Now if only I could swing a second identical zx10 as a track-only steed... I saw a bunch of guys out there running their dedicated track bikes. Seems like a great way to go.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Haha thanks guys! Now if only I could swing a second identical zx10 as a track-only steed... I saw a bunch of guys out there running their dedicated track bikes. Seems like a great way to go.
Congratulations sir!

As an instructor for many many years seeing thousands of new riders join the trackday club what I have learned is that for most riders whose aptitude towards riding is higher than average, combined with an internal drive to become more proficient at riding simply give up street riding. You cannot even remotely use the potential of a sportbike on public roads and even the cleanest public road never has the grip of a prepped track surface so it is a natural progression for riders looking to become more adept at riding proficiency to move towards a track only environment.

Sure there are guys that still enjoy street riding or that only have 1 bike for transportation so they are stuck pulling double duty, but when it is all said and done if you are serious about going fast then dedicated track bikes are the way to go.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,049 Posts
Congratulations sir!

As an instructor for many many years seeing thousands of new riders join the trackday club what I have learned is that for most riders whose aptitude towards riding is higher than average, combined with an internal drive to become more proficient at riding simply give up street riding. You cannot even remotely use the potential of a sportbike on public roads and even the cleanest public road never has the grip of a prepped track surface so it is a natural progression for riders looking to become more adept at riding proficiency to move towards a track only environment.

Sure there are guys that still enjoy street riding or that only have 1 bike for transportation so they are stuck pulling double duty, but when it is all said and done if you are serious about going fast then dedicated track bikes are the way to go.
So true. It RUINED riding on the street for me. I still have my street bike but havent ridden it in about four months. It just doesnt even come close to sharpening the pencil like the track does.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
So true. It RUINED riding on the street for me. I still have my street bike but havent ridden it in about four months. It just doesnt even come close to sharpening the pencil like the track does.
That certainly doesn't describe me.

I love all kinds of riding. I instructed for almost two years at a track school. I took the new racer's school, got my novice road racing license, and road-raced for a few events, and did a lot of track days.

But it didn't dampen my enthusiasm for street riding of all kinds.

One can adapt to the street, which requires a totally different kind of skill set and situational awareness, and the increased skill levels from track experience thus make it better and safer.

The world just looks better to me from a motorcycle.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,049 Posts
That certainly doesn't describe me.

I love all kinds of riding. I instructed for almost two years at a track school. I took the new racer's school, got my novice road racing license, and road-raced for a few events, and did a lot of track days.

But it didn't dampen my enthusiasm for street riding of all kinds.

One can adapt to the street, which requires a totally different kind of skill set and situational awareness, and the increased skill levels from track experience thus make it better and safer.

The world just looks better to me from a motorcycle.
Thats reallly good to hear. I really try when Im on the street to just embrace the ride for what it is.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Went back out to the track again this past Sunday and had even more fun than the first time! Since I knew what to expect and knew the track layout, I could focus on my body position which needed a lot of work. I can't say enough about the ZX10. It's way more capable than I am currently but I'm looking forward to closing that gap next season. I'm taking the plunge and picked up a set of Armour Bodies plastics so next year she will be relegated to track only. I really like the stock 30th anniv. scheme it came with so the "winter" project is to get the plastics wrapped/painted as close to that as I can. Wish me luck...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts