Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went down to mid ohio for my first track day on a bike ever. It was awesome! I followed my wife down to the hotel on monday night (50 miles), rode all day at the track tuesday putting in over 100 miles on track, then rode home after.

The first 4-5 sessions of the day we were in groups with an instructor doing different drills. I learned quite a bit from the instructor and still have quite a bit to learn. The last 3 sessions of the day we were on our own. Can't wait until next season to do some more. Might buy an old 600 to track though so I don't have to worry about tearing up my nice 2nd gen. Heres the 2 pics I bought from the photographer down there.

Turn 1 was so BAD ASS. I love that corner. Pretty sure the top pic is turn one.

Attachments

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Went down to mid ohio for my first track day on a bike ever. It was awesome! I followed my wife down to the hotel on monday night (50 miles), rode all day at the track tuesday putting in over 100 miles on track, then rode home after.

The first 4-5 sessions of the day we were in groups with an instructor doing different drills. I learned quite a bit from the instructor and still have quite a bit to learn. The last 3 sessions of the day we were on our own. Can't wait until next season to do some more. Might buy an old 600 to track though so I don't have to worry about tearing up my nice 2nd gen.
good for you:thumbsup: and yes a dedicated track hoe 600 a few yrs old would be a wise choice.:wink:

·
Registered
771 Posts
congrats I have been riding trackdays for a fist full of years it definitely can be addicting.
is that a car helmet? Not sure I would be using that on a motorcycle they have different test standards and ratings.
I hope to make it back to mid ohio next year the one time I made it there it was fun.
but I am spoiled I am 20 minutes from grattan raceway in michigan

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
congrats I have been riding trackdays for a fist full of years it definitely can be addicting.
is that a car helmet? Not sure I would be using that on a motorcycle they have different test standards and ratings.
I hope to make it back to mid ohio next year the one time I made it there it was fun.
but I am spoiled I am 20 minutes from grattan raceway in michigan
It's a simpson carbon bandit. I bought it when I was racing cars and karts. It is SA2010 rated, not sure if there are different tests within the rating? It was $800 so I haven't really had the heart to retire it and buy a new one :frown: Probably should get a motorcycle specific helmet though.

I cant wait to go back down next year though. Wish I lived a little closer but an hour drive is well worth it!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found this on a helmet site. Looks to me SA is the highest rated, and meets or exceeds M rated helmets in every category except for the field of vision can be narrower on SA helmets. Should be fine to use id say?

HELMET RATINGS...WHAT DO THEY MEAN?

Auto racing helmets are rated by Snell as either SA, M, or K...

Snell SA Rated Helmets:
Snell "SA" (Sports Application) rated professional helmets are designed for auto racing and provide extreme impact resistance and higher fire protection.

Snell M Rated Helmets:
Snell "M" (Motorcycle) rated helmets are designed for motorcycling and other motorsports. They offer slightly less protection than SA rated helmets.

Snell K Rated Helmets:
Snell "K" (Karting) rated helmets are designed for Karting applications. They are subjected to the same test standards as SA helmets except the do not require a fire retardant interior.

What are the key differences between SA and M Rated Helmets:
- SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not.
- SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard does not.
- SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets aren't street legal).

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Simpson's are great helmets. I bought the early Simpson Bandit years ago. Their snell rated and are as good or better than most helmets on the market. Congrats on the track day and welcome to the darkside. lol

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Simpson's are great helmets. I bought the early Simpson Bandit years ago. Their snell rated and are as good or better than most helmets on the market. Congrats on the track day and welcome to the darkside. lol
Thanks! Im definitely hooked. I think I already have my wife convinced to let me get a track bike :grin2:

·
Registered
771 Posts
I found this on a helmet site. Looks to me SA is the highest rated, and meets or exceeds M rated helmets in every category except for the field of vision can be narrower on SA helmets. Should be fine to use id say?

HELMET RATINGS...WHAT DO THEY MEAN?

Auto racing helmets are rated by Snell as either SA, M, or K...

Snell SA Rated Helmets:
Snell "SA" (Sports Application) rated professional helmets are designed for auto racing and provide extreme impact resistance and higher fire protection.

Snell M Rated Helmets:
Snell "M" (Motorcycle) rated helmets are designed for motorcycling and other motorsports. They offer slightly less protection than SA rated helmets.

Snell K Rated Helmets:
Snell "K" (Karting) rated helmets are designed for Karting applications. They are subjected to the same test standards as SA helmets except the do not require a fire retardant interior.

What are the key differences between SA and M Rated Helmets:
- SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not.
- SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard does not.
- SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets aren't street legal).
good info.I always thought car helmets had less impact rating than motorcycle :wink2:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Hour isn't Bad I am 25 minutes to grattan.(most people are traveling from 3+ hours to ride there)
2.5 hours to gingerman and 6 hours to midohio.
I liked mido fun fast track

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hour isn't Bad I am 25 minutes to grattan.(most people are traveling from 3+ hours to ride there)
2.5 hours to gingerman and 6 hours to midohio.
I liked mido fun fast track
6 hours is a haul! When I get my tax return Im going to buy a 4x6 trailer and a hitch for the elantra so I don't have to ride the bike down. Would be a little easier to push the limits knowing I can get it home if I drop it :crackup: I wouldn't mind trying some other tracks either. I can imagine they are all a blast!

·
Registered
771 Posts
6 hours is a haul! When I get my tax return Im going to buy a 4x6 trailer and a hitch for the elantra so I don't have to ride the bike down. Would be a little easier to push the limits knowing I can get it home if I drop it :crackup: I wouldn't mind trying some other tracks either. I can imagine they are all a blast!
We had a 5x8 open we pulled with a caviler and than a Honda crv with two bikes.
if it's not a stick get a trans cooler keep tounge weight around 100#'s

Barber was 700 miles but well worth the trip great facility and awesome motorcycle museum.

I have never ridden to a trackday that takes some balls.
Trailering with a canopy,fans and a cooler of water is a must.

We now have upgraded to an enclosed trailer and sleep in it the night before most track days

1 - 15 of 15 Posts