Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than dont crash.?

One of my friends has been bugging me forst almsot two year to go to one. I always seem to have other obligations. He emailed me last week and told me he would trailer me and the bike up for free. Just needed money for gas for the bike and food.

Didnt think I would be able to make it as the bike would need some new tires and I was pooling everything to pay my car off in the next two weeks (almost 9 months early) and just could not afford trackday fee, tires, food, and gas.

Well he calls me last week and scored me a set of Pirelli Super corsas with 15 laps on then for free, and mounts them for free for me.

I feel like I am a good or above average rider on the street, I just dont like pushing hard on teh street to have to worry about crashing my pride and joy. I really dont like the thougt at the track either.

so does anyone have any advice, I am enrolled in the tracks HART class, the track is Hallet here in OK up by Tulsa. This is the beginners track class to give some pointers and what not, but does any of the track guys have any other advice to offer as well?

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
Well, you prolly are gonna take it slow anyway, but thats my advice, be sure to learn as you go, and not just get out there and try to go fast as you can....

Sometimes beginners groups can be a little scary cause you cant predict what they will do, just remember to do your thing and not fixate on the dude runnin off the track, lol....seriously though, read through Hill's thread on track days, it has tons of useful info.

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12752

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, mucho gracias that will make for a good read tonight when I get home. I think I am going to try and find Keith Codes 2nd book in his series and read that as well. See if some of his thought will help me brush up on my skills some.

Like I said I can ride on the street just fine, I am not the fastest, but I do tend to end up in the back of the fast group most of the time. This is just something in some ways to help me overcome my fears of what the bike can and cannot do.

·
Registered
967 Posts
BadAzzGuitarPlyr said:
Well, you prolly are gonna take it slow anyway, but thats my advice, be sure to learn as you go, and not just get out there and try to go fast as you can....

Sometimes beginners groups can be a little scary cause you cant predict what they will do, just remember to do your thing and not fixate on the dude runnin off the track, lol....seriously though, read through Hill's thread on track days, it has tons of useful info.

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12752[/quote]

:+1: and have fun

AFMEDIC

·
Registered
377 Posts
Listen To The Instructions They Give U And Work On It @ Your Own Pace. U Will Get Faster As The Day Goes On. But Most Important Is have Fun.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
:+1: to what everyone else has said.

dont freak out if someone goes screaming past u, its a little nerve racking the 1st time it happens...

drink lots of water and have fun!

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Don't set your expectations too high. I thought i hadn't but I guess i did, bc I left the track very disappointed and not really looking forward to going back.

...but I will.

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
miykl said:
Don't set your expectations too high. I thought i hadn't but I guess i did, bc I left the track very disappointed and not really looking forward to going back.

...but I will.
good point, if you expect too much, itll just ruin your experience.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Drink lots of water to properly hydrate yourself. Start the day before the trackday. You should have to pee between every session if you are drinking enough. Biggest mistake people make is to get dehydrated. By the afternoon, this will cause concentration issues, making it hard to focus. Gatorade or other power drinks shouldn't be used instead of water, but are a good addition. Couple small bottles a day is fine. But drink the water.

Also, remember to breathe. May sound stupid. Like, Duh. How can I forget to breathe. But you may find yourself holding your breath when circulating the track.

Lastly, remember to blink. Many find that they stare too much while concentrating on riding. It tends to dry the eyes and makes it harder to focus.

Lots of other good info in the threads mentioned, above. But these are things that I don't generally read about in trackday threads.

Above all, have a good time and ride your own pace. :thumbsup:

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
yeah...

when Im racin or riding hard...I sing...sounds shady...but it keeps my mind calm and my breathing right.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Most track days divide riders up into different catagories based on skill. Stay in the slow group until you have learned the track and feel comfortable moving up to a faster group.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
hillcountry10r said:
yeah...

when Im racin or riding hard...I sing...sounds shady...but it keeps my mind calm and my breathing right.
Yup, when everything is flowing right I tend to do the same. Conversly, when I don't have a song in my head is when things just don't feel "right" or I'm strugling (trying too hard). ..might be something to that. :dontknow:

·
Registered
463 Posts
CanyonCarver said:
Drink lots of water to properly hydrate yourself. Start the day before the trackday. You should have to pee between every session if you are drinking enough. Biggest mistake people make is to get dehydrated. By the afternoon, this will cause concentration issues, making it hard to focus. Gatorade or other power drinks shouldn't be used instead of water, but are a good addition. Couple small bottles a day is fine. But drink the water.

Also, remember to breathe. May sound stupid. Like, Duh. How can I forget to breathe. But you may find yourself holding your breath when circulating the track.

Lastly, remember to blink. Many find that they stare too much while concentrating on riding. It tends to dry the eyes and makes it harder to focus.

Lots of other good info in the threads mentioned, above. But these are things that I don't generally read about in trackday threads.

Above all, have a good time and ride your own pace. :thumbsup:
do not DO NOT look behind you. It seems every track day I go to a newbie looks behind them and runs off the track. Some guy totaled is GSXR 600 on the track last Monday.

ride at your own pace and listen to the instructors - the key your first time out is understanding the lines on the track and being smooth. Also do not be afraid to talk to an instructor they are there to help you and can accelerate your learning curve.

Like Canyon carver said - drink lots of fluid. I dunno if I pee after every session - I sweat most of it out, but I do drink 16ounces of water between sessions - sometimes more.

and lastly, know when to say when. I'm not sure of your fitness level, but if your not in the best shape 20 minutes of track can be quite a work out. If you get tired or fatigued, head on in recover and go back out.

have fun and post up some pics when you're done.

·
Registered
23 Posts
track day

going to the track day at hallett ok on june 11th anyone else wanna join us feel free.........any advice for my first track day w/ my 05 10r???

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
Who are ya? I'm planning on that as well. You must be on KCSB right? It's hyperspd7 here.... If you need some help / advise. Just ask. Happy to get you going...

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Body position. numero uno mistake made by newbs. the ball of your foot should be on the peg. you lean in the corner THEN the bike. alot of times people lean the bike as they are counter leaning. this will hender you and cause your tires to do goofy shit... So your head should be where your mirrors were. ass just barley touching seat. balls of fet on pegs. this will feel wierd at first but you will grow to love it. here are some pics. green bike is good silver bike bad. OH and look threw the curve not at the bike in front of you witch i will post a pick of too.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
see hoe the silver bike {chris} is all kinda out of wack... the bike is good but if he were down too he would be in more controll... now he is just along for the ride.....

1 - 20 of 47 Posts