Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

First time with my 04... addicted!

3K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  danzx78 
#1 ·
Some local riders organized a meet for dinner and a trip to a drag strip in the area. This was my very first time to run my 10 at the quarter and i was giddy as hell! Anywho, Im pretty happy with my 8 runs as they were damn consistent and considering whats on my bike. Im running SWB, full titanium arata exhaust, secondaries removed, -1, +2 or 3 (i think, cant remember), and my damn PC3 was supposed to be here this afternoon but no, it was sitting on the counter when i got home just now. Im 195 suited up and with a full belly.

I had only run the 1/4 mile once before on my zx9 about 4 years ago and best time was a 11.2 so i was expecting much better. I was careful with my launches and kept them very tame and mellow coming out of the hole. It seemed that 7k and working the clutch through first gear was the only thing i could do to keep the front wheel from pointing at the star. In the last few runs, I could manage to keep the rpms up high and the front wheel about a foot off the ground all the way through first gear, then hit second and was balls to the wall and WFO. I also found myself missing shifts... a lot! I was wearing a pair of boots I wasnt used to so it could be that or that a pair of rearsets need to be ordered.

I dont want a full fledged track bike, but I want faster times. Gearing is going to be changed. Period. Aside from that I think i will drop it 1.5" and possibly throw some 6" extensions on it and clearly get the PC3 running smoothly with everything... sound like a good plan?

Heres all the runs I made, minus the one where I started in second gear. Whatcha think?:badteeth:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
We want video proof dammit!!!!!! just kiddin Nick, wish i coulda made it out there with ya man but maybe next time. did any of the other 2 guys run tonight? the repsol or that pretty burnt orange 3rd gen? i bet you can get a strap on here for dirt cheap and if not then let me know and i can probably pick one up of ebay or from a buddy for a good price for ya so you can keep that front wheel down!!! congrats man, i'll try to tag along next time.

#5 ·
Good consistency in the quarter, and you're a couple tenths quicker than I was - I'm heavier, and my bike has stock exhaust and +2 on rear sprocket only - and I'd forgotten how to change the shift light RPM. Our 60 foot times were about the same. Your reaction times are all over the place, though.

I know what I need to work on :)

When I did my chain/sprocket job. I put a longer chain on, so that the axle is almost all the way back. Originally I didn't do this with the quarter mile in mind, mostly for stability on bumpy roads, but I think this made a big difference. 6" extensions might be a bit much unless you are running turbo or nitrous or some other major power adder. I have half a mind to extending mine about 3 or 4 inches, to help with the launch but still preserve some semblance of streetability and handling. Strapping the front end is an easily reversible thing, too. At this point, I don't particularly want to lower mine in the rear. I'd like to preserve the down-angle on the swingarm to maintain anti-squat, again for streetability and handling. On a dedicated drag bike, different story. I'm not going down that road yet.

#6 ·
Yup, Im gonna be plugging in the PC today when i crawl out of bed! The guy riding the 10 didnt end up racing at all but the REPSOL and I made about 5 runs together. I ate him up out of the hole, and he even said I was pulling away from him down the track and finshed about 3-4 bike lengths ahead everytime :nana:. I there was also a guy with a stock 14 that i ran a few times who had me off the line everytime but once i hit second he never pulled away from me. Our times were withing a 1/10 sec and .25 mph evertime.

#7 ·
nice times man ! i would suggest lowering the bike and straping the front, both are easy to do and will help lower them times. also your mph seems a lil low, i was traping 113-115mph on my 05 10r and i weight 200#'s suited and the bike was bone stock even had the stock can still on it. only thing done to the bike was sec flies removed, lowered 2 inches with front end strap, bike went 6.70's@115mph.

#8 ·
I attribute the low mph to the gearing, I just couldnt do anything to keep the front end down AND get on the throttle hard enough. Im throwing the PC on today with a buddy and hopefully changing out the rear sprocket to +1 this week and im gonna see how that helps next friday. Ill probably look into some straps too.

#17 ·
i was told today if i go -1 +2 it wont hurt my top too much maybe limit me to about 170mph instead of 186. And the dude said it would be night a day difference out the hole

#20 ·
im stretched 6 as well and -2 in the front right now should i go +2 or 3 in the rear im stock now. I usually do street runs from like 60-160 and 1/8 mile tracks runs i just dont wanna loose mid range or tooo much top end

#24 ·
I have yet to make it to the track again since my first runs. Havent done much aside from a PC3. Im thinking about bringing the rear sprocket down one tooth to keep the front on the ground. Im going to keep it SWB for quite some time. Plan on strapping the front end for the next time to the strip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.