Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been itching to get some times on my bike all summer I recently got my new front sprocket installed and that made the itch worse and worse. Sadly the closest track to me requires full leather for any bike that can run over 120mph, clearly our zx10's will pass that in a quarter mile therefore I've been unable to go because I have bills to pay and a suit or full leathers is just not going to happen right now.

So, I live about 20 mins outside of boston and we have HUGE local motorcycle night in Lowell that sucks in anywhere from 200-2000 bikes on any given week. And one of the local sponsors brings a truck that has a dyno drag setup for 2 bikes at a time, with the full tree and everything. Needless to say I have been waiting for a couple weeks now to get my bike on it and 2 nights ago I finally did.

For simply not moving, it was one of the most fun things I have ever done on my bike, I got up there with one of my buddies, we did a burnout for the crowd because nobody was doing them, and we ran our bikes 4 times down the "track". I saw about 30 bikes go ahead of me including Gixxer and Honda 1000's and nobody came close to my time or speed. The results are posted below, the only thing that bothered me was the estimated horsepower which seemed way to low for my bike, and I saw the same pattern with the other bikes that I saw go ahead of me. I feel that since so many bikes go on the dyno, and we are simply burning through all 6 gears, the horsepower was off by 5-10 at least. On another run it was at 154 horsepower, instead of this run at 152.

Overall for my first time running my back in any type of a drag I was pumped with the results, also if you have ever run on a dyno drag before, you can't just dump the clutch and launch your bike, you have to feather the clutch because the dyno has some resistance in the beginning. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
774 Posts
someone else did 150 hp here recently and had the same sentiments

·
Registered
772 Posts
I wouldn't make a habit of hitting the "dyno drags" You are beating on your clutch and drivetrain for no reason.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I wouldn't make a habit of hitting the "dyno drags" You are beating on your clutch and drivetrain for no reason.
:+1: tried it once when I first got my 10R a year or so later...wasn't even sure how to launch it(meaning do I just dump the clutch etc.) but still was low to mid 9s, but an 04 R1 hit 8.9s(the guys was running more than a few runs and showing off :headshake) and the HP thing was off I just got finishing doing 156hp on a dyno from a local shop and the fun dyno said I had about 140hp less than some other bikes where I knew I must be close or above :spit: Then some regulars told me to watch it about the clutch and drivetrain as well even seen a bike that was sidelined after a run........fun stuff to try once but nothing compares to the REAL THING. :wink:

bloo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts