Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive had my 07 zx10R for almost a year now after my 636 was stolen. i finally got a set on me and decided to see what it would do. This was my very first time on the track with a bike so you could say i had a lot of butterflies.

the only mods on the bike is a 2 bros slip on exhaust and extension blocks that stretched it about 6". my very first pass went

[email protected] w/ a 2.3 60'

my pb pass of the night was

[email protected] w/ a 1.8 60'

i know theres a lot of improvement to be made. im starting to feel better about the launching which is really what was killing me. plus i put myself in a weird ridin position that i couldnt get my my hand completely at wot. and a couple people had issues getting the bike out of third.

i can definately see myself in the 6s the next trip out which will problably be next friday.

i put a good buddy on that is a really good driver to set the bar for me. he was supposed to be on the bike all night but only got 2 passes in. his were consistent.

[email protected] w/a 1.4 or 1.5 60' and he had trouble getting out of third.

i have gears ready to go on (-1,+3) and an air shifter that will help me greatly leaving my feet on the side.

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Put a 1/5th insert from Rifleman on it and u won't have a problem getting WOT. Its less of a turn so ur elbow isn't pointing straight down anymore. U oughta try -1,+5 or -2,+2 they're abt the same with the first setup being a bit more aggressive. Ull love it though. I run The 2nd setup.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Put a 1/5th insert from Rifleman on it and u won't have a problem getting WOT.
:+1: that thing helps out sooo much!! youll get there with practice. I started when my 10 was basically stock form and was able to work down to 7.196. Stretched it and lowered, basically drag setup, and I am now doing 6.9 and trying to get better. you have plenty of room for improvement, but that improvement is just experience. You will definently get there!! No doubt about it. If your buddy can go 6.5, so can you, just keep going and youll get it.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
1/5th throttle is the way to go... once you get more seat time under your belt you will feel more comfortable launching it hard out of the hole... and i def regear the bike bc the 10's have a LONG 1st gear.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
^definently listen to that man. Him and BG have helped me enormously with setting up for the strip and figuring out how ride it there too. One day Ill be gettin close to as good as they are.

If you street ride the bike too, talk to BigCat, hes like the watchful big brother who wont let you fuck your stuff up.

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
:werd:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the words guys. i have given serious thought to the 1/5th mod. i dont trust myself doin that kinda mod yet, but im going to take the how to i found to the buddy that rode my bike and see how hed feel helping me out with it.

the bike will mainly be a street bike and will occassionally see the track.

everyone noticed how long the 1st gear was and was like [email protected] lol. the one thing that everyone said too was after the launch my bike was flying down the track even if it wasnt at wot. i just gotta be patient and realize ill get better with more seat time. i have an srt4 that i used to track all the time but my i was never as pumped to get on the track as i was last night with the 10r

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
do the 1/5, no doubt. the how-to done on this site is excellent. you can definently do this yourself!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what is the basic drag setup? i have a few things in mind i just wanna make sure ive got myself on the right path.

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Lowered stretched strapped geared 1/5th nitous if u really wanna play and an airshifter if u get serious with it

If u do decide to lower it once its stretched DO NOT ride a passenger! I had mine extended and rode my fiance all the time. She's only 120lbs, but after I lowered it, the very 1st time she rode again I snapped my extensions. We got lucky they didn't fall off while riding. I didn't notice they'd snapped till we got back home.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
^ :+1: basically. A simple setup for it though is strapped, lowered, geared and stretched. you can always do more depending how serious you wanna get with it. you dont need to do a whole lot right off the bat, just a few things and then learn how to ride it. The biggest mod you can do to your bike is yourself. Everything in the world on your bike wont help if you arent up to the task. Just get a lot of seat time. If you can, get the bike lower and strap the front. Thatll cost you less than $100. The other money will be going into your back tire lol.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats good to hear. i already have blocks (i will have an actual swingarm pretty soon i hope), links, gears, and an air shifter (the gears/shifter just arrived yesterday. just gotta wait for the muzzy bracket to come in). i plan on lowering only when i get to the track. she likes to scrape too much on the streets around here so i just put her on the highest setting so i wouldnt have to worry about street riding after i busted my oil pan the 1st time :(

the only thing i really need will be the 1/5 mod which ill probably order next friday. i havent found a strap set for less than 250 (bracket&strap), although i havent really checked the vendor section on the site yet.

i also want to do nitrous but itll be a good minute before i actually do that. kinda worried about spraying even a small shot on a stock motor.

what kinda tires do most of you guys drag with? a lot of guys around here run shinko hookups or slicks. im not really worried bout slicks anytime soon

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
thats good to hear. i already have blocks (i will have an actual swingarm pretty soon i hope), links, gears, and an air shifter (the gears/shifter just arrived yesterday. just gotta wait for the muzzy bracket to come in). i plan on lowering only when i get to the track. she likes to scrape too much on the streets around here so i just put her on the highest setting so i wouldnt have to worry about street riding after i busted my oil pan the 1st time :(

the only thing i really need will be the 1/5 mod which ill probably order next friday. i havent found a strap set for less than 250 (bracket&strap), although i havent really checked the vendor section on the site yet.

i also want to do nitrous but itll be a good minute before i actually do that. kinda worried about spraying even a small shot on a stock motor.

what kinda tires do most of you guys drag with? a lot of guys around here run shinko hookups or slicks. im not really worried bout slicks anytime soon
save your $$$ on the brackets and do this... for the money you can't beat the shinko 003. the hookup is a sticky tire just want last as long as the 003 on the street.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
interesting.. i take it you havent had any issues like that? that being the case i may have my basic setup by next weekend.. now to just get the seat time to get it down pat lol

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
ive had my 07 zx10R for almost a year now after my 636 was stolen. i finally got a set on me and decided to see what it would do. This was my very first time on the track with a bike so you could say i had a lot of butterflies.

the only mods on the bike is a 2 bros slip on exhaust and extension blocks that stretched it about 6". my very first pass went

[email protected] w/ a 2.3 60'

my pb pass of the night was

[email protected] w/ a 1.8 60'

i know theres a lot of improvement to be made. im starting to feel better about the launching which is really what was killing me. plus i put myself in a weird ridin position that i couldnt get my my hand completely at wot. and a couple people had issues getting the bike out of third.

i can definately see myself in the 6s the next trip out which will problably be next friday.

i put a good buddy on that is a really good driver to set the bar for me. he was supposed to be on the bike all night but only got 2 passes in. his were consistent.

[email protected] w/a 1.4 or 1.5 60' and he had trouble getting out of third.

i have gears ready to go on (-1,+3) and an air shifter that will help me greatly leaving my feet on the side.
That doesn't add up at all, with that 60 ft the et. should have been a lot quicker.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
That doesn't add up at all, with that 60 ft the et. should have been a lot quicker.
hes got a bit of a point. what gearing were you running? on stock gearing I was barely into second. +5 on the back and Im in third, close to the top of it.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
interesting.. i take it you havent had any issues like that? that being the case i may have my basic setup by next weekend.. now to just get the seat time to get it down pat lol
no issues at all man... just a poor man way of doing it :wink:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ive got the slip at home. I'll try and get it posted up when I get home tonight. The gearing was stock for that run.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Ive got the slip at home. I'll try and get it posted up when I get home tonight. The gearing was stock for that run.
The only thing that makes sense is he dumpped the clutch pretty bad.. That would make sense on the good 60 and slow 330 and 1/8th. Its so hard to find the perfect combo that'll give you the good 60 330 and 1/8th but once you do the back half will show! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
there might also be something else going on too though, because at that speed on stock gearing I was around the top of 2nd gear. I know the trans gears are different and all, but it should still be close right? noone should have been needing 3rd.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts