Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First ticket in seven years, Boy was that stupid of me. Pulled out from a stop on to a wide two lane, speed limit is 55mph, It's a looong strait, ahead so I get on it HAARD 1st, 2nd, 3rd, then, oh shit there's a state trooper in the church parking lot, DAMN, got me. But I'm thinking for what speed, I don't know how fast I was going and I slowed as soon as I seen him. I pull over immediately and start get my stuff out. He comes up and asks me if I know why he pulled me over?, I said well I accelerated a little hard back there sir. He then asked if I knew how fast I was going? and I said no sir. He said he locked it in at 103mph but he knew I was doing a lot more before that. Asks me the normal stuff, where are you headed and stuff. Takes my stuff to his car, comes back a while later says he could arrest me, but gives me a reckless driving offense, not a speeding offense and says it a mandatory court appearance on Oct 9 and that the judge is real strict on stuff like this. I said thank you sir, yes sir, no sir, and sir after every other appropriate word. All and all I think it went quite well. Now to pay my dues and slow the hell down.

· Guilty by association
8,752 Posts
Yea i use office too. Sucks to hear you got rolled, hopefully that judge doesnt squash your nuts too bad

· FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,490 Posts
When I read the title, I was thinking something else.
I thought your tires got nailed or something.. but anyway..

Good that you're taking responsibility for your action.

On the "sir" thing, I do to.. I'd rather give the effort of being respectful than not.
Just my .02

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I read the title, I was thinking something else.
I thought your tires got nailed or something.. but anyway..

Sorry, Could you or one of the other mods. change it to First ticket in seven years

· Registered
3,051 Posts
I NEVER EVER say Sir to a cop during a traffic stop, all other times yes.

Just reread your own post and think about what you are trying to do as in "polite" your way out of a ticket.

Believe it or not, cops are insulted by that because they believe it is dis-ingenious. I have had many tell me so. A few years back I did several ride alongs doing on going research and every cop told me they cant stand that knowing good and well if they let them off they know the person is going to be calling them a cock-sucker and not Sir under their breath as they ride away laughing.

It is best to call then what they are.

No Trooper,

Yes Trooper

No officer,

Yes Officer

Yes deputy.

So yes or no and call them by their titles. :thumbsup:

They actually find that more respectful. Now you know.

hmm good to know

· Registered
193 Posts
Don't have a clue about Arkansas... (Location: Ar.) but here in Georgia reckless driving carries a minimum 6 months suspension of your license... hope it's not that way in Ar if so u may wanna consider paying a lawyer to try and get it lowered or changed to a charge that doesnt hit ya where it hurts...

Also in Georgia(atleast Valdosta) there is Drag Racing (heavy penalties) and Racing on Highway(not so heavy)... I got cited for the latter one in my mustang in 05 (basically harassed for loud pipes didnt even break 45 mph in a 40 zone)anyhow and was even told by the judge since I already paid the citation to get out of jail...then just sign in court and I'd be good to go and just have a couple points on my license... well come to find out two or three months later I received a notice in the mail saying my license was suspended for 120 days... it sucked... when you're married with kids losing your license is like being cripple... it just flat out sucks.. anyhow sorry to thread jack but just figured I would post up some helpful info for anyone who may be in this type predicament...

You can find almost all Georgia laws here:

http://www.lexis-nexis.com/hottopics/gacode/default.asp

§ 40-6-186. Racing on highways or streets

(a) As used in this Code section, the term:

(1) "Drag race" means the operation of two or more vehicles from a point side by side at accelerated speeds in a competitive attempt to outdistance each other or the operation of one or more vehicles over a common selected course from the same point to the same point for the purpose of comparing the relative speeds or power of acceleration of such vehicle or vehicles within a certain distance or time limit.

(2) "Racing" means the use of one or more vehicles in an attempt to outgain, outdistance, or prevent another vehicle from passing, to arrive at a given destination ahead of another vehicle or vehicles, or to test the physical stamina or endurance of drivers over long-distance driving routes.

(b) No person shall drive any vehicle on a highway in this state in any race, speed competition or contest, drag race or acceleration contest, test of physical endurance, exhibition of speed or acceleration, or for the purpose of making a speed record, and no person shall in any manner participate in any such race, competition of speed, contest of speed, or test or exhibition of speed.

(c) Any person convicted of violating subsection (b) of this Code section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

HISTORY: Ga. L. 1959, p. 303, § 1; Ga. L. 1961, p. 438, §§ 1-4; Code 1933, § 68A-808, enacted by Ga. L. 1975, p. 1582, § 1; Ga. L. 1990, p. 2048, § 5; Ga. L. 2006, p. 449, § 21/HB 1253.

· Registered
813 Posts
This is the one time in which lawyers are truly a wonderful thing. I highly recommend paying a lawyer to work on this, and I'm willing to bet you that every penny you spend on the lawyer will be paid back to you in insurance savings over the next several years. I wish I had learned this much earlier than I did.

· Registered
193 Posts
Can you provide a link showing proof that Reckless carries a 6 month suspension of license in Georgia? Correct me if I am wrong but the link you posted is for Racing and that's different from reckless.

Waiting on the link please...
Yeah I posted the info about the law that was pertinent to my case... as far as reckless driving below is the description and I am searching for the license suspension portion that is pertinent to 40-6-390

I have had three friends in the last 10 years that were charged with reckless driving which carries a 6 month suspension of your license

JUST got through searching and now I know why they had mandatory suspension... UNDER 21 YEARS OF AGE SUSPENSION

HERE IS THE INFO

http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/DLdata.aspx?con=1744060376&ty=dl

Mandatory Suspension
The Department shall suspend a license for a conviction of any of the following offenses in Georgia or any other state:

1. Homicide by vehicle.
2. A conviction for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
3. Any felony in the commission of which a motor vehicle is used.
4. Using a motor vehicle in fleeing or attempting to elude an officer.
5. Fraudulent or fictitious use of, or application for a license.
6. Hit and run or leaving the scene of an accident.
7. Racing.
8. If you refuse to take a chemical test for intoxication, then your license will be suspended for 12 months.
9. Operating a motor vehicle with a revoked, canceled, or suspended registration in violation of Code Section 40-6-15.
10. Conviction for driving without insurance is a 60/90-day suspension.
11. If convicted for driving while license is suspended, revoked or canceled, your driver's license will be further suspended for six months.
12. If you fail to appear in court or respond to a citation, your license may be suspended indefinitely.
13. Your driver's license will be suspended if you are convicted of possession, distribution, manufacture, cultivation, sale or transfer of a controlled substance or marijuana.
14. The Department is authorized to suspend your license if its records or other evidence shows that you have accumulated 15 points within 24 months under the point system, including violations committed out of state.

Points are accumulated for:
Reckless Driving 4 points

Mandatory Revocation
Your driver's license will be revoked in Georgia, if you are convicted of one of the following:

1. For any third conviction of a mandatory suspendable offense within 5 years, you will be declared a habitual violator. This is a five-year revocation.
2. Refusal to submit to a re-examination of driving skills or knowledge of driving rules after receiving notice giving reasonable grounds for such a request.
3. If there is sufficient evidence of incompetence or unfitness to drive, due to incapabilities by reason of disease, mental or physical disability, or by alcohol or drug addiction.

Under 21 Years of Age Suspension

The driver's license of any person under 21 years of age convicted of any of the following offenses shall be SUSPENDED:

1. Hit and run or leaving the scene of an accident in violation of Code Section 4-6-270.
2. Racing on highways or streets.
3. Using a motor vehicle in fleeing or attempting to elude an officer.
4. Reckless driving.
4. Any offense for which four or more points are assessable under subsection (c) of Code Section 40-5-57.
*Unlawful passing of a school bus.
*Improper passing on a hill or curve.
*Exceeding the speed limit by 24 miles per hour or more.
5. Purchasing an alcoholic beverage.
6. Driving under the Influence.
7. Aggressive Driving, Code Section 40-6-397. (Item #5)
8. Misrepresenting age for purpose of illegally obtaining any alcoholic beverage (3-3-23 (a) (3)).
9. Misrepresenting identity or using false identification for purpose of purchasing or obtaining any alcoholic beverage (3-3-23 (a) (5) ).
10. The driver's license of any person under 18 years of age who has accumulated a violation point count of four or more points within any 12 month period.

§ 40-6-390. Reckless driving

(a) Any person who drives any vehicle in reckless disregard for the safety of persons or property commits the offense of reckless driving.

(b) Every person convicted of reckless driving shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine not to exceed $1,000.00 or imprisonment not to exceed 12 months, or by both such fine and imprisonment, provided that no provision of this Code section shall be construed so as to deprive the court imposing the sentence of the power given by law to stay or suspend the execution of such sentence or to place the defendant on probation.

HISTORY: Code 1933, § 68A-901, enacted by Ga. L. 1974, p. 633, § 1; Ga. L. 1989, p. 350, § 2; Ga. L. 1990, p. 2048, § 5.

· PostWhore
2,492 Posts
Don't have a clue about Arkansas... (Location: Ar.) but here in Georgia reckless driving carries a minimum 6 months suspension of your license... hope it's not that way in Ar if so u may wanna consider paying a lawyer to try and get it lowered or changed to a charge that doesnt hit ya where it hurts...

Also in Georgia(atleast Valdosta) there is Drag Racing (heavy penalties) and Racing on Highway(not so heavy)... I got cited for the latter one in my mustang in 05 (basically harassed for loud pipes didnt even break 45 mph in a 40 zone)anyhow and was even told by the judge since I already paid the citation to get out of jail...then just sign in court and I'd be good to go and just have a couple points on my license... well come to find out two or three months later I received a notice in the mail saying my license was suspended for 120 days... it sucked... when you're married with kids losing your license is like being cripple... it just flat out sucks.. anyhow sorry to thread jack but just figured I would post up some helpful info for anyone who may be in this type predicament...

You can find almost all Georgia laws here:

http://www.lexis-nexis.com/hottopics/gacode/default.asp

§ 40-6-186. Racing on highways or streets

(a) As used in this Code section, the term:

(1) "Drag race" means the operation of two or more vehicles from a point side by side at accelerated speeds in a competitive attempt to outdistance each other or the operation of one or more vehicles over a common selected course from the same point to the same point for the purpose of comparing the relative speeds or power of acceleration of such vehicle or vehicles within a certain distance or time limit.

(2) "Racing" means the use of one or more vehicles in an attempt to outgain, outdistance, or prevent another vehicle from passing, to arrive at a given destination ahead of another vehicle or vehicles, or to test the physical stamina or endurance of drivers over long-distance driving routes.

(b) No person shall drive any vehicle on a highway in this state in any race, speed competition or contest, drag race or acceleration contest, test of physical endurance, exhibition of speed or acceleration, or for the purpose of making a speed record, and no person shall in any manner participate in any such race, competition of speed, contest of speed, or test or exhibition of speed.

(c) Any person convicted of violating subsection (b) of this Code section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

HISTORY: Ga. L. 1959, p. 303, § 1; Ga. L. 1961, p. 438, §§ 1-4; Code 1933, § 68A-808, enacted by Ga. L. 1975, p. 1582, § 1; Ga. L. 1990, p. 2048, § 5; Ga. L. 2006, p. 449, § 21/HB 1253.
Actually, if your 20 and under, your license will be suspended. Because its mandatory 6 points, and you cant have more than 4. Automatic suspension of CDL no matter what age.

If your over 20, you can pay and take the 6 points.

· Registered
193 Posts
Here is some info from the Arkansas Driver Services website

http://www.state.ar.us/dfa/driver_services/ds_faqs.html

Driver's License Suspension

My driving privilege is showing suspended in another state. How can I get that suspension taken care of?
You will need to contact the state where you are suspended and ask them what you will need to provide them to have the situation resolved.
[ back to top ]

How many points do I have to have on my driving record before my license is suspended?
Arkansas' Administrative Point System is used to identify problem drivers. Points are assigned for various traffic violations ranging from failure to obey a traffic signal (3 points), reckless driving (8 points) and speeding 0-10 (3 points). A computer program searches all the driver records weekly and identifies the records which have fallen within a preset range for various sanctions. For example, 10-13 points a warning letter is issued telling the driver to be careful; 14 or more points a notice is sent to the licensee advising them of a proposed suspension action and advising them that they may have a hearing to discuss the proposed action. Persons with 14 to 17 points may be suspended for three months; 18 to 23 points may be suspended for six months; and 24 or more points may be suspended for one year. A hearing is automatically scheduled and they are subject to the Hearing officer's discretion, which ranges from no action, probation, restriction or suspension. If the licensee fails to attend hearing, the licensee is automatically suspended.

· Registered
193 Posts
they seem somewhat lenient... 10-13 points and u get a warning letter.... and no suspension until you have accumulated 14 or more points and that is it MAY be suspended it says... interesting

· Registered
1,339 Posts
as to Sir.

We had to adress the officers in the Army as Sir.
And most of the time it was done because we disrespected them there.
I still address a stranger dude as Sir, and a stranger gal as Mam.
The times I managed to get pulled over I address them as Sir.I believe if the officer knows personality traits he can tell if your blowing him off.Thus writes the ticket.
Politeness and honesty,seems to work better for me,I walk away with more verbal warnings than believeable.
Appearing ex-military goes along way also!

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is some info from the Arkansas Driver Services website

http://www.state.ar.us/dfa/driver_services/ds_faqs.html

Driver's License Suspension

My driving privilege is showing suspended in another state. How can I get that suspension taken care of?
You will need to contact the state where you are suspended and ask them what you will need to provide them to have the situation resolved.
[ back to top ]

How many points do I have to have on my driving record before my license is suspended?
Arkansas' Administrative Point System is used to identify problem drivers. Points are assigned for various traffic violations ranging from failure to obey a traffic signal (3 points), reckless driving (8 points) and speeding 0-10 (3 points). A computer program searches all the driver records weekly and identifies the records which have fallen within a preset range for various sanctions. For example, 10-13 points a warning letter is issued telling the driver to be careful; 14 or more points a notice is sent to the licensee advising them of a proposed suspension action and advising them that they may have a hearing to discuss the proposed action. Persons with 14 to 17 points may be suspended for three months; 18 to 23 points may be suspended for six months; and 24 or more points may be suspended for one year. A hearing is automatically scheduled and they are subject to the Hearing officer's discretion, which ranges from no action, probation, restriction or suspension. If the licensee fails to attend hearing, the licensee is automatically suspended.
Thanks for the link. I have 0 points on my license. so I should be good to go, now back to searching to see how much the fine is. :headshake

· PostWhore
2,492 Posts
Thanks for the link. I have 0 points on my license. so I should be good to go, now back to searching to see how much the fine is. :headshake

My wife seems to recall the minimum to be ~350 in GA, but cant remember for sure. Could check when she goes to work tomorrow.

· Registered
193 Posts
http://eiselelaw.com/blog/index.php/2008/07/30/reckless-driving-charges-in-arkansas/

Arkansas Code 27-50-308
(a) Any person who drives any vehicle in such a manner as to indicate a wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving.
(b)(1)(A) If physical injury to a person results, every person convicted of reckless driving shall be punished upon a first conviction by imprisonment for a period of not less than thirty (30) days nor more than ninety (90) days or by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($100) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both such fine and imprisonment.
(B) Otherwise, every person convicted of reckless driving shall be punished upon a first conviction by imprisonment for a period of not less than five (5) days nor more than ninety (90) days or a fine of not less than twenty-five dollars ($25.00) nor more than five hundred dollars ($500), or by both such fine and imprisonment.
(2)(A) For a second or subsequent offense occurring within three (3) years of the first offense, every person convicted of reckless driving shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than thirty (30) days nor more than six (6) months or by a fine of not less than five hundred dollars ($500) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both such fine and imprisonment.
(B) However, if the second or subsequent offense involves physical injury to a person, the person convicted shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than sixty (60) days nor more than one (1) year or by a fine of not less than five hundred dollars ($500) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both such fine and imprisonment.

So anywhere from 25-500 thats pretty broad...

· Registered
193 Posts
Georgia is TOUGH on under 21 years of age drivers, but "reckless driving" in Georgia for drivers over 21 is no license suspension at all. Its just a fine. But I guess there are a lot of under 21's on here so basically what you posted would be correct,...... for them under 21, in Georgia. :thumbsup:
Well the three incidents I recalled were in 2000 & 2001... it's been a while since I have been under 21... but my wilder days took place during that era...

· Registered
468 Posts
Sorry to hear that.
I would highly recommend getting a lawyer that is experienced in handling issues like this. Not really to fight the ticket, but more to salvage your driving record. Showing up with an expericenced lawyer will help your chances in getting the charge reduced to speeding or even dropped if the lawyer sees an way-out of any kind.

I hired a lawyer to help me get out of a speeding ticket once before. I still had to pay the fine, but the judge allowed me to attend traffic school for a second time; therefore, keeping another ticket off of my driving record.

Hope it works out for you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.