Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any one tell me what the first set of butterfly valves are for in the throttle body. When you look through the factory velocity stacks, you can see them they are the aluminum ones. Wasn't sure if the surved a purpose other than restricting air flow. But now that i think of it maybe they are used to maintain vacuum through out the motor. Any way any help would be nice. The bike is an 06 10R.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
try searching young grasshopper, there was a thread couple days ago, pretty informative.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Yes, I have them removed, you will need the accelerator pump turned up to account for the extra hit of air right at throttle snap, or it will lean surge. Otherwise its 50/50 in what you want out of it, it does help top end a little bit.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
butterflies

well i removed them yesterday and i also disconnected the servo motor and punched the cats. bike definatly has a different sound to it. its kinda funny though. it seems to bog a little in really low rpm but it lifts the front end easier. i haven't brought it up in the higher rpms to if it effected it or not but the throttle is definatly smoother. i just figured that they restricted the airflow going in to the motor. they were pretty easy to remove once the airbox was taken out. putting a power commander, pipes, k&n, and velocity stacks tommorow, and i think the combination of everything will be very positive.. will keep every one posted on the outcome.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
yeah you defintly want to retune the bike.....I did the same mod back to back runs on the dyno and i got no increase of power except the very peak rpm but it was a 5hp increase!!!! I have dyno sheets posted up here somewhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the replys guys, like I said I'd heard alot about people doing the mod to the zx14,but they are definately weaker off the bottom than the zx10r.I rode them back to back last month,and the 10 felt like an animal after hopping off the zx14.

·
Registered
798 Posts
oh its fun the material is tough i had to use a chisel and various drill bits but got it out

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I gutted the cats, it actually wasn't that bad. I used a long flat screw driver and a hammer. I would tap it in a little ways then start turning it back and forth. Then tap it in some more and turn again. Untill i got through. I used a pipe also and it cleaned up the sides pretty good. Although I still had to use a screw driver on the sides to take the remaining out. Not sure if it made a difference cause I also eliminated the servo motor and took out the secondary butterflies. Over all I noticed a difference with everything combined. Just not sure which of them did it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts