Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first service done yesterday at 688 kms on the Odo. Was fortunate that the dealer had one oil filter in stock. Double checked to ensure the part number on the filter was the new one. Oil used was a 10W40 Motul 7100.

The drained out oil looked pretty ok; darkish brown color but no metal flakes even when i observed it closely.

Coolant levels were sightly below the optimum but the mech said thats not to be worried about and topped it up.

Last few days had noticed during my city rides an irritating rattling noise from around the right side of the fuel tank area. Somewhere between the fuel tank and frame on the right side. The noise vanishes if I clutch in and if i rev her beyond 6k rpm (maybe the exhaust drowns it out). Anyways highlighted this to the service chaps in the morning and they thoroughly checked the internals and all the bolts and fits and came up with no possible cause. But they did admit that there was a sound.

Scratching heads for an hour, I had a sudden brainwave (bulb moment !) and asked them to start the Winter edition bike parked there to check for the same noise. Lo and behold ! The same rattle sound crops up on the Winter ed also. Like a bunch of idiots we silently pack up my bike again realizing that the sound is generic to all 2016 models.

Any idea what it could be thats making this sound?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the bikes flux capacitor spooling up to get ready to pull positive 11g wheelie flips.
That just went over my head :surprise:

But if its a capacitor spooling up then why is the sound ALWAYS there? Only above 6k rpm it vanishes or when i clutch in, its back again the minute the revs fall or the clutch is out.

I heard it in the city because on the highway with ear plugs on and higher speeds I must have missed out on it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's the bikes flux capacitor spooling up to get ready to pull positive 11g wheelie flips.
Read it thrice. Finally got the troll :laugh2:

But on a serious note, wondering what on earth it could be since the Gen4s dont have it

·
Registered
966 Posts
Got my first service done yesterday at 688 kms on the Odo. Was fortunate that the dealer had one oil filter in stock. Double checked to ensure the part number on the filter was the new one. Oil used was a 10W40 Motul 7100.

The drained out oil looked pretty ok; darkish brown color but no metal flakes even when i observed it closely.

Coolant levels were sightly below the optimum but the mech said thats not to be worried about and topped it up.

Last few days had noticed during my city rides an irritating rattling noise from around the right side of the fuel tank area. Somewhere between the fuel tank and frame on the right side. The noise vanishes if I clutch in and if i rev her beyond 6k rpm (maybe the exhaust drowns it out). Anyways highlighted this to the service chaps in the morning and they thoroughly checked the internals and all the bolts and fits and came up with no possible cause. But they did admit that there was a sound.

Scratching heads for an hour, I had a sudden brainwave (bulb moment !) and asked them to start the Winter edition bike parked there to check for the same noise. Lo and behold ! The same rattle sound crops up on the Winter ed also. Like a bunch of idiots we silently pack up my bike again realizing that the sound is generic to all 2016 models.

Any idea what it could be thats making this sound?
You wear a helmet? When I use to ride my bikes without them it sounded like bike was rattling to pieces buuuut it wasn't.

·
The Pace
7,164 Posts
Oz is playin. Only time you have to think about this bike is when it runs like a pos. lol. Trust me on that. No need to be hyper sensitive on the 10r. it simply kicks butt.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Could be cam chain tensioner
:+1:

Gen 4 had the cam chain noise, common among some gen 4's. My first service on my gen 4 they adjusted it. Might be a common noise with the gen 5 also; haven't ridden mine enough yet to say I've noticed it.

·
Registered
776 Posts
:+1:

Gen 4 had the cam chain noise, common among some gen 4's. My first service on my gen 4 they adjusted it. Might be a common noise with the gen 5 also; haven't ridden mine enough yet to say I've noticed it.
I know they changed the cam chain tensioner on the gen 5 but wonder if the issue still persists?

·
Registered
136 Posts
The only thing that fixs this issue is what is listed in the Kit manual.

A manual cam chain tensioner. (MCCT)

Problem being you have to know what you're doing...or the noises get louder quickly if ajusted incorrectly!

>:)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would take it in and have it checked
I did. But for the life of them the service chaps couldnt identify what the sound was and when they realised that all 2016 models had the same sound they figured its something generically common to the Gen5. I anyways asked them to check with the factory and let me know whats causing the sound.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
sounds like cam chain noise to me, tensioner may not be tight enough from factory. good luck. all bikes have their own sound, the yamaha tick for instance. but, cam chain noise is never good.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sounds like cam chain noise to me, tensioner may not be tight enough from factory. good luck. all bikes have their own sound, the yamaha tick for instance. but, cam chain noise is never good.
Surprisingly, three other Gen 5s that I heard had the same goddam noise. The Kawa service techs say its generic to the Gen 5. :|

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
that's unnerving. so when do you know if your cam chain tensioner is bad! lol
Cam chain tensioners never go bad on these bikes, just ask Skydork.:grin2:

My cam chains been rattling now for a couple thousand miles, the OEM tensioner has too weak a spring and won't reset. If the noise sounds like an old Cummins diesel and it's coming from the right side near the clutch cover area it's the tensioner, it might reset on it's own or it might not. Manual tensioner is the quick fix or wait it out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm having a similar issue though I wouldn't have guessed it was a cam chain tensioner. Though it is up around the head on the right.
I plan to drop it off at the dealers tomorrow to get its first service early just to have it checked.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm having a similar issue though I wouldn't have guessed it was a cam chain tensioner. Though it is up around the head on the right.
I plan to drop it off at the dealers tomorrow to get its first service early just to have it checked.
Yup. Its around the right hand side from between the head and tank area.

Do let me know if your dealer is able to figure it out or resolve it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's the cam chain tensioner that won't reset. Common issue to many gen4 and gen5 too. Two solution. Wait and put more miles on the bike until will reset itself, or manually add a click to it to get rid of the noise immediately.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts