Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently sold my evo and bought a zx10. It is my first bike and i had never rode a bike before i bought this one. Alot of ppl say its a bad idea etc but here i am. It is an 05 magma. Lowered. Possible different front sproket and i think thats all.

I took it out yesterday and rode for 8 miles around my neighborhood. I gotta say i cant wait to feel comfortable riding cause its fun. I got through all the gears just fine. Even got it up to about 45 which felt kinda fast cause im not used to it.

Let me know if u see anything else aftermarket or if u know how much the front and rear are lowered judging by the pics. I am curious about that. I am 5'9" and i can flat foot it real easily.

The season is over here in mass and its actually snowing right now:sad: but i can't wait for next year. I will be on this site alot this winter. Thanks.

Attachments

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
Have fun bro. I wont say it's a good idea having the 10 as your first bike.. but.. you know, just try to have fun with it while being careful.. CONGRATS !

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
from what i can see its lowered about an inch or so (looking at how much the forks stick out on top)

BTW, the 10r is the best bike to learn wheelies on - very easy :lol:

be careful

·
Registered
222 Posts
other than being lowered that bike is as stock as if it just rolled out of the factory.

not best choice of first bike but with the price of used bikes now I guess it could make sense. take MSF first (www.msf-usa.org), then do a track school like california superbike school (http://www.superbikeschool.com/). you will learn more in one day at CSS than you would in 10000 miles of street riding. they provide the bikes. roadracing world has a list of track organizations (http://www.roadracingworld.com/guide/detail/?guidecode=schools&guide=2). Penguin school is close to you and are ok, but CSS is much more useful for a street rider. if you have the chance fly out to one of their track events in CA/FL during the winter, that will get you ready for 2010.

dont cheap out on rider training because you might just end up spending much more than that with newb mishaps on the street. good luck.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Congrats on the purchase!
I too won't give you advise on the 1st bike thing.
When you ride just make sure you wear all the gear you have.
Your in control of it,it should never be in control of you,with a cool and calm head,you can over come any situation.
Learn to ride what you have.
After you feel confident in what your doing adjust the bike to your preferences.
I'm 5'7" 180lbs and a 30" inseem.My bike is still set-up the way it came from the dealer or factory.
With that front end lowered,you might notice it biting down faster than you like when you have to seriously grab those front brakes in a panic.You might consider raising that front end back up.
Hopefully it never happens,but if it does get back on that bike and ride after a crash.It'll help you overcome your fear of motorcycles after you crash.
The saying goes,sooner or later we will all crash,and that is very true!

·
.net Most Followed Member
8,796 Posts
from what i can see its lowered about an inch or so (looking at how much the forks stick out on top)

BTW, the 10r is the best bike to learn wheelies on - very easy :lol:

be careful
:+1: Nice 04 model you have there :thumbsup:

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Gawd Damn, that's a mint first gen. What'd you give for it? Be careful and use good judgment or it may be the only bike you'll ever own. GEAR UP!

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
clean ride man!!....I love the magma 05's........oh yeah,..........I got one too!
Be very careful with her,.....she is a beast for sure!!.......power is raw and unpredictable!
but if ya take your time and respect her,.............she will treat ya right!
Good advise on the MSF course!........and teenagers on cell phones will now become your worst enemy!...Good luck friend!

·
Registered
153 Posts
- Buy good gear
- Take MSF
- Read some good material over winter (Keith Code books for example)
- Research the term "Squid" and don't become one
- Treat ZX-10R throttle like it's a loaded gun...with great care!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes i will be looking into riding school next spring for sure. I intend to invest in some real high quality gear over the winter so i will be ready. I understand safety is the number one thing and i am 22 and have worked full time for over 3 years so i consider myself to be in the mature stage of my life for sure. I intend to learn the right way and always be geared up.

i got the bike for 5000$. it has 5600 miles.

luis, why do u say 04 model?

lol yea i intend to not be a "squid". thats a new term to me but im assuming its the same as a "ricer" for import cars.

·
.net Most Followed Member
8,796 Posts
Yes i will be looking into riding school next spring for sure. I intend to invest in some real high quality gear over the winter so i will be ready. I understand safety is the number one thing and i am 22 and have worked full time for over 3 years so i consider myself to be in the mature stage of my life for sure. I intend to learn the right way and always be geared up.

lol yea i intend to not be a "squid". thats a new term to me but im assuming its the same as a "ricer" for import cars.

cause of the sticker yellow R :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Similar but a Squid is: "A Squid is a motorcycle rider who, experienced or not, rides outside his abilities and sets poor examples by attire, propriety, and general behavior on the motorcycle." (<---from Squid Puirty Test)

Oh, from what I know it is formed from, "Squirrely and Kid"

For example:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good deal on a real nice lookin' gem. Plus, if the bike is as bone stock as yours looks I would bet that it was pampered. Have fun and be safe dude.

·
Registered
268 Posts

If the tenth (xxxxxxxxx5xxxxxxx) didgit of your vin is a 4 it's an 04, if it's a 5 it's an 05.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just checked the vin. It is an 05 for sure. So do u think those stickers, or something was replaced???

Thanks for the full description of what a squid is.

I will be as safe as i can.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
good luck she is nice looking.

·
Gone Ridin'
1,705 Posts
take MSF first (www.msf-usa.org), then do a track school like california superbike school (http://www.superbikeschool.com/). you will learn more in one day at CSS than you would in 10000 miles of street riding. they provide the bikes. roadracing world has a list of track organizations (http://www.roadracingworld.com/guide/detail/?guidecode=schools&guide=2). Penguin school is close to you and are ok, but CSS is much more useful for a street rider. if you have the chance fly out to one of their track events in CA/FL during the winter, that will get you ready for 2010.

dont cheap out on rider training because you might just end up spending much more than that with newb mishaps on the street. good luck.
:+1: TO all of that. You'll have fun.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Cool bike man and don't worry about the speed. Kawi made the red, black, blue and yellow much slower the the green ones for new riders to learn on. Green has always been the fastest of all kawi's.

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
^^^ he only wishes that was true!!...LOL

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
and BTW..........you got a hell of a good deal man!......5k with 5600 miles......man that is a clean machine!.......reminds me of when I picked mine up,.........many miles and many thousands in mods and gear ago!!!>..LOL....it is an addiction..........get ready bro!
First on your list should be a good quality steering damper....Ohlins, Scotts, or GPR are all good units!.........but this is a must for these bikes!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts