Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
So Saturday was my first time to ButtonWillow, newly repaved as others have mentioned. We rode track config #26 CCW. VERY technical track. I was lost all morning in practice, some sections of the track I couldn’t visualize which turn was coming up, but by the end of the day I started to figure it out. Would have liked to have had 1 more day there though.

Since I was racing and my Q3 rear was getting a bit worn I decided to through on some Pirelli Diablo Superbike slicks SC1 (soft) on the front and a 200 SC2 (medium) on the rear, man what a difference! Couple of times I went into turns too hot under braking and the front just stuck, a great feeling of confidence. If you take a look at the 4th photo (it’s a bit grainy because it was a long shot) you can see my forks almost completely compressed under hard braking into a turn, that’s some serious grip these tires have. Thank you Justin (Fireman 69) for the great recommendation :notworthy:

If you want to take a ride around ButtonWillow CCW with me, here you go. It was a 4 lap race, I had pole based on my practice times, got the hole shot and never looked back. First couple laps I went into turn 1 too hot, fucking up the entry/exit, had trouble with this all morning in practice. Finally got it right on the 4th & final lap. If you only want to see one lap jump 4th & final lap at 7:10, it was the smoothest lap.

well now that I have slicks on my bike no more street riding for a while :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,014 Posts
Damn man, livin' the dream! Congrats on the first place!

Youboob link is broke though. :sad:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys. I was NOT by any means in the expert class. Looking forward to getting up there in the near future and having some fast guys to chase and pull me around the track :wink:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
581 Posts
Congrats! Yeah man, slicks are great. Work up to it slowly, but in good conditions, you can brake pretty good on slicks with your knee on the ground.

Just be super careful with the slicks and heat, no heat = no traction. A set of cheap tire warmers did me in one weekend, went out on under-temp slicks and high-sided to the upper atmosphere in turn 2.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just be super careful with the slicks and heat, no heat = no traction. .
Thank you very much and I plan to follow your advice. I’m yet to buy tire warmers but when I do I will not cheap out. It was 106 deg on Sat so I left my bike in the sun which kept the tire pretty warm for practice, and then 1hr before race time I put someone else’s tire warmers on my bike. It was a great feeling rolling up to the grid knowing I could dive into turn 1. But I will take it slow out there like you suggested

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^ Absolutely! It’s on my to-do-list.
These are the warmers I used before the race, looks like they are Woodcraft. Don’t know anything about them but they worked great.
Any recommendations?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^ yeah +1, I forgot to ask too..

1 - 20 of 59 Posts