Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 10-R won't start. Actually, it won't do anything. No lights on the gauge, no fuel pump priming, no nothin'!! At first it was very spuratic, but now it won't do anything. This past weekend I did get it to start, went for a ride, and then went to move it again and it won't do anything! Yesterday when I turned the key on the fuel pump primed, lights came on, and then as soon as I pushed the button to start it, everything cut out. The kill switch does not seem to have anything to do with the problem, which leads me to beilieve it is a bad ignition. Has anybody else had problems with first generation ignitions? If so, do I need to get a whole new ignition, or is there a way to fix it? Any help on this issue would be very much appreciated.

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
I would check the battery connections and make sure the battery is good. Sounds like a bad connection though or a faulty ground.

Tread

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would check the battery connections and make sure the battery is good. Sounds like a bad connection though or a faulty ground.

Tread

Battery connections are good... I'm going to remove the ignition tomorrow, check all the wiring, and re-install it. Hopefully if it's a ground problem that will help.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Load test the battery?
It could show voltage at rest but still be screwed.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Load test the battery?
It could show voltage at rest but still be screwed.

The only thing that debunks that is the fact that one minute it starts like a champ, and the next it's got nothin! Thanks though

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Its a continuity problem, maybe a dirty connection and nothing major, likely causes are the frame to engine ground and the positive to the main fuse and the starter relay from the battery.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
The only thing that debunks that is the fact that one minute it starts like a champ, and the next it's got nothin! Thanks though
Sometimes batteries act weird right before they give up.

Is it the original battery?

Just hoping it was something simple.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
I betcha the battery has an internal problem.

Hook up booster cables from the battery cables to a known-good 12-volt battery (example, the one in your car) - do this with the ignition switched off, please! - and see if it starts and runs reliably in that state. Do this with the ground connection to the battery disconnected (so it is connected ONLY to the known-good battery) to remove the possibility that your battery has an internal sporadic short-circuit. If it works properly when connected to some other battery, now you know what the issue is.

·
Registered
45 Posts
ignition

i had a very similar problem on my old 6r, it was a bad connection inside the ignition switch . re soldered the connection and it never happened again. looked like a bad solder joint. let us know what ya find

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I can now say one thing for sure... The battery is not the problem. I just hooked it up to a good battery and still got nothin. Hopefully this weekend I will have time to pull it apart and start checkin grounds...

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
Sorry man that sucks that it wasn't an easy fix. You want to take it apart this weekend and want some help leme know.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
this was maineiacs bike correct? i think he said its still under warrenty. good luck, its a great bike once youll get that twerk worked out itll be love all over again!

·
Registered
586 Posts
this was maineiacs bike correct? i think he said its still under warrenty. good luck, its a great bike once youll get that twerk worked out itll be love all over again!
:dontknow: Not my bike :lol: jk. We have pretty much narrowed it down to a bad connection somewhere.

What did you do to my bike J while i was gone??? :cool:

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
if when you turned the key on the dash lit up and on power the fuel primed and when you hit the start button it blip'd and everything died. thats what happened to me, when i randomly blew a fuse.

·
Registered
586 Posts
if when you turned the key on the dash lit up and on power the fuel primed and when you hit the start button it blip'd and everything died. thats what happened to me, when i randomly blew a fuse.
Not a fuse, because we messed with it then it started coming back. Now every once in a while it will prime then start to crank and die. Once it dies, if you turn the key off then back on there is no prime, no lights on the dash NOTHING. I am almost 100% positive its just a lose connection, definitely not a fuse, definitely not a battery.

·
Registered
586 Posts
yeah maine help him out otherwise ill send you back to Terceira :helmet: :lol:
The problem started happening the day I sold it to him (how convenient) So he knows as much as I do on this one.

And trust me, it wont be you sending me back to terceira, I guarantee I will be there atleast 5 more times.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts