Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have -1 tooth in the front and a yosh slip on on my 04 zx10...nothing crazy at all. Haven't had it long and haven't ridden a liter bike before this one, but plenty of sportbike/tracktime experience. The bike is awesome, but I have a question.

I can't open the damn throttle in first on the top end (8-9K rpm +) without either running into wheel spin or front wheel lifting too high and causing me to roll off throttle. I'm used to a 600 or 750 where you can roll the throttle all the way on against the stop and hang on until redline...Is this not the case on a liter bike. I''m weighting the front the best I can and I'm 200lbs.

I've been thinking about putting the stock front sprocket back on and trying that. Any suggestions? I really think it takes away from the fun of riding if it is that damn touchy up near redline.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
That's what you asked for when you bought a litre bike.

You can try to switch back to the stock front sprocket. Might still wheelie. My 08 does.

You can short shift, feather the clutch, or the more advanced technique - stay in the throttle and use the rear brake to control the front wheel while still on the throttle.

Good Luck

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
There's no way getting rid of it.
Either that or you change your suspension and lower the front a wee bit more.

·
Registered
680 Posts
You can put the stock sprocket back but it sounds like you bought the wrong bike. Any generation zx10 is going to reach for the sky under full throttle in the first few gears. What seems to bother you gives most people on this site full wood.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys...No doubt it's pretty damn fun. I can't wait to get this thing out to a trackday so I can actually feel peak power over and over. It is such a rare occasion on the street to be able to open it past 8 or 9K rpm. I've ridden this thing about 1000 miles so far and have only seen the shift light twice.

I end up short shifting 1st gear around 9~rpm. It's not like this monster is short on torque when I hit second.

I was just wondering if this is the same for everyone or if my bike is setup goofy for some reason. I haven't set sag or anything yet, just trying to get used to her. It sounds like this is completely normal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
why is it you have to pin it to the stop in 1st?
Do you really need a reason? It's fun and it's not possible to go WOT in any other gear on the street without the risk of life in prison. I've also been to the local 1/8th mile strip to see if I could get used to the bike a little.

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
i have -1 tooth in the front and a yosh slip on on my 04 zx10...nothing crazy at all. Haven't had it long and haven't ridden a liter bike before this one, but plenty of sportbike/tracktime experience. The bike is awesome, but i have a question.

I can't open the damn throttle in first on the top end (8-9k rpm +) without either running into wheel spin or front wheel lifting too high and causing me to roll off throttle. I'm used to a 600 or 750 where you can roll the throttle all the way on against the stop and hang on until redline...is this not the case on a liter bike. I''m weighting the front the best i can and i'm 200lbs.

I've been thinking about putting the stock front sprocket back on and trying that. Any suggestions? I really think it takes away from the fun of riding if it is that damn touchy up near redline.
do not buy a 1/5th throttle insert!!>>>>lol

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
thats why Im asking why, are you drag racing are you street racing are you track racing

·
aka kwakrider
412 Posts
you can put the stock sprocket back but it sounds like you bought the wrong bike. Any generation zx10 is going to reach for the sky under full throttle in the first few gears. What seems to bother you gives most people on this site full wood.
:+1:

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'd say if your having that much of a problem keeping the front down, STAY OFF THE THROTTLE. It's obvoiusly not a 600/750. These bikes can do over 100 mph in first gear. So try just giving it half throttle until you get use to it.:dontknow:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Only open the throttle half way...yeah...right.

thats why Im asking why, are you drag racing are you street racing are you track racing
I ride twisties, no street racing. Do maybe 3 track days a year too. Went to the test and tune night at the 1/8th mile just to have a chance to crack it open legally. Between running at the 1/8th mile and highway on ramps, it's easy to notice where the front wheel wants to go.

Not a big deal guys and i'm not some ham fisted kid, just was looking for some experience of others. Apparently it is pretty obvious what the answer is.

Thanks for your replies.

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Not for nothing but, it sounds to me like it is too much bike for you bro.

If your not twisting that throttle wide open and getting a boner and a

shit eating grin all at the same time.

The 10R ain't for you my friend.

You might wanna step back down to a 600 or 750 before you get hurt on it.

You have to learn to finesse the 10R to keep the front end from looping.

Good side of this is, your front tire will last much longer in the air.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Well i think the answer your looking for is: you want drive and acceleration (which makes you faster) not wheelies that slow you down.

As you ride the bike more and get to know just how much throttle you can actually use in a given situation, you wont be able to use 100% throttle even remotely as often as a 600/750cc bike.
You will be fine with the bike once you get familiarized with it more, especially one day on a track will help you get a better feel fo what you can do with it, and not worry about being arrested.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
:+2:
well i think the answer your looking for is: You want drive and acceleration (which makes you faster) not wheelies that slow you down.

As you ride the bike more and get to know just how much throttle you can actually use in a given situation, you wont be able to use 100% throttle even remotely as often as a 600/750cc bike.
You will be fine with the bike once you get familiarized with it more, especially one day on a track will help you get a better feel fo what you can do with it, and not worry about being arrested.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Gee some people are quick to jump to conclusions. The bloke just asked a question and was wondering if it was his bikes setup or Liter bikes in general that was causing skywards action. Sounds like he's doing all the right things to get used to the bike and sounds like he's got a straight head screwed on so give him time and he will figure the right hand out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:thumbsup:to the last three posts. Thanks guys. It is clear it will just take a little finessing and experience in the lower gears to get good drive. It's easy comparatively to get good drive out of a corner with a 600 or 750...you can pretty much roll the throttle open early and hold on...which is why I maybe pass literbikes on corner exits there often....until the track straightens out. Always used to piss me off.

Hellsrazor; I wasn't really looking for an answer from somebody with a lowered bike and a license plate relocator. Doesn't having your plate on your swingarm hurt your cornering clearance? Your priorities in riding and how you have fun are likely much different than mine.

Not for nothing but, it sounds to me like it is too much bike for you bro.

If your not twisting that throttle wide open and getting a boner and a

shit eating grin all at the same time.

The 10R ain't for you my friend.

You might wanna step back down to a 600 or 750 before you get hurt on it.

You have to learn to finesse the 10R to keep the front end from looping.

Good side of this is, your front tire will last much longer in the air.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
It is such a rare occasion on the street to be able to open it past 8 or 9K rpm. It sounds like this is completely normal.
:spit:, I know it's a great thing... I tell people all the time; most difficult part of ridding this bike is keeping the power under control.

Best is to short shift until you get control of the bike

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I kinda like driving out of a corner with the front tire about a foot off the ground all the way thru 1st gear and 2nd gear and 3rd gear. or till its time to set up for the next corner

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I kinda like driving out of a corner with the front tire about a foot off the ground all the way thru 1st gear and 2nd gear and 3rd gear. or till its time to set up for the next corner
You must be a damn good rider. I'm sure that is lots and lots of fun.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts