Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from my first time at the drag strip. Let me set the scene. 52 degrees, rained all night and into the early morning, stopped long enough for me to get 5 runs in and actually started raining again on my last time down the track. Like the title says this was my first time at the strip so my reaction and 60/330 times are pretty bad, but improved after each run. My bike is a street bike first so I didn't have any drag strip mods helping me out, i did drop the rear tire pressure to 25psi though. It was a battle to not spin off the line or wheelie. I launched at about 5000 rpm slipping the clutch as quickly as i dared. Spun the rear on the first 2 launches and wheelied on the third. I did try spraying the nitrous on my 4th run, short shifted through 2nd into 3rd and hit the button at 95ish. The front immediately came up and I ended up coasting through the lights, matching my fastest time but 8 mph slower at the end. That was with only a 15hp shot but it is shock wheelbase and -1 in the front. It was alot of fun and I will go back, probably do a front strap and just practice, need to lower my reaction times and 60/330. Here are the numbers from my best run, try not to laugh too hard.

reaction - 0.731
60 - 2.209
330 - 5.238
mph - 109.76
et - 7.501

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
sounds like the track could have been better too... Its hard to help ya based on the time because of track conditions.

·
Registered
95 Posts
At first it sounded like you were making one shitty excuse after another. But then I took a second and realized that you told the story exactly the same way I would have...I guess I learned something here.
Anyway, here's my advice: launch at about 8k, and keep that front tire (actually, both of them) on the ground. When you get close to that redline, shift. Repeat the last two steps a couple times. And don't go to the strip when it rained all night. (you need to be safe out there--kawi only made so many 10's--we can't be crashing them cause we want to have fun in the rain)
Anyway, if you got this far, great job! The important part is that you kept getting better. You even saw that you did better without the nitrous!
(btw, I'm guessing this was a 1/8th mile track, right?:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it was an 1/8th mile. Question: Launching in second? good idea, easier to control and launch harder? another rider suggested it but I don't know. Also, clutchless upshifts, really any faster? Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Yeah, it was an 1/8th mile. Question: Launching in second? good idea, easier to control and launch harder? another rider suggested it but I don't know. Also, clutchless upshifts, really any faster? Thanks for the advice.
please :bitchslap the person who told you to launch in second, you will burn up the clutch within the first couple passes gauranteed, im not sure about the clutchless upshifts, some guys swear by them, i have a dynojet quickshifter which is the f*cking shit so i rarely use the clutch when going through the gears at wot, what kind of nitrous kit you using btw :badteeth: im gonna be in the market for one soon :cool:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
you need to start from scratch and don't use Nitrous on the strip until you are an experienced drag racer period!!!!!!!!

With that out of the way, when you go back prep the bike for learning how to launch...strapped in the front, triples lowerd, and lowered in the rear...we are talking about $70 in mods so no excuses. Then 1st Gear launches ONLY!!!!....clutchless gear changes and LOTS of PRACTICE....GOOD LUCK.

BLOO

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
you need to start from scratch and don't use Nitrous on the strip until you are an experienced drag racer period!!!!!!!!

With that out of the way, when you go back prep the bike for learning how to launch...strapped in the front, triples lowerd, and lowered in the rear...we are talking about $70 in mods so no excuses. Then 1st Gear launches ONLY!!!!....clutchless gear changes and LOTS of PRACTICE....GOOD LUCK.

BLOO
hey blue, remember my post about the leaking fork seals due to strapping it down in the truck, would a strap potential have the same affect on the seals, or am i way off :badteeth:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
hey blue, remember my post about the leaking fork seals due to strapping it down in the truck, would a strap potential have the same affect on the seals, or am i way off :badteeth:
someone on the strip section had a good post about not needed to strap it down fully..the lowering of the tripples is better the strap helps out...I personally don't think it harms it at all...with all the times I have done it on the same bike and personal miles of over 20k I say Strap Away and no Worries. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
someone on the strip section had a good post about not needed to strap it down fully..the lowering of the tripples is better the strap helps out...I personally don't think it harms it at all...with all the times I have done it on the same bike and personal miles of over 20k I say Strap Away and no Worries. :thumbsup:
whats the difference between doing that and strapping it in a truck then?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
whats the difference between doing that and strapping it in a truck then?
sorry for the :eek:t: but in the Truck the front suspension is constantly limited in the back of the truck over every bump as long as you drive(as opposed to a 1/4mile)...remember the guys that got trouble on the truck was the ones that had a setup where they compressed the hell out of the forks to keep the front end steady...you don't do that at the strip using arm pressure to clamp down as opposed to ratchets :headshake .....just get that setup I told you about. :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts