Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I an looking to buy my first bike. In fact still in process of getting my licence. Everyone i spoke to so far told me start small work your way up . In engine size which sounds logical at first. But costly second over a long period. Im more looking to buy ounce and enjoy it from there. My question first is do you guys agree on their advice and perhaps a reason why. Is it possible to learn from an instructor on a large bike? I want to get the zx-10r 2009 Model. I need some sound advice both for safety and cost effective. I plan to buy new. Thanks orion

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
id do alot of reading around this site before making a big leap..... it maybe alittle more costly in the long run to work your way up, but what good will a bike be if you get seriously hurt and cant ride anymore.....

good luck

·
Registered
590 Posts
Welcome my friend. IMHO, they shouldn't sell these monsters to people with years of experience, let alone someone for a first bike. Start small, you'll end up being a better rider (and alive). Give yourself a few thousand miles and THEN get a 10 or whatever; trust us, you'll enjoy it more. Just my opinion.:hello:

·
Registered
464 Posts
id do alot of reading around this site before making a big leap..... it maybe alittle more costly in the long run to work your way up, but what good will a bike be if you get seriously hurt and cant ride anymore.....

good luck
Not only that but if it is your learner chances are your gonna drop it a few times. Better to do on a learner bike rather than one that will cost you $$$ to fix.

·
I really need to get out of the house
13,309 Posts
IMHO start with a 600, dont start off with anything smaller then 600 cause you will be selling it within 6 months of riding. A 600 is a great starter bike, just as soon as you start to ride you have to learn control, cause any bike can bit you in the ass if you miss treat it. And then within a few years you should be able to move up to a litre bike.

Welcome....keep reading on the site and Im sure you will learn lots.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Not only that but if it is your learner chances are your gonna drop it a few times. Better to do on a learner bike rather than one that will cost you $$$ to fix.
:+1:,000,000
Find a beater off of craiglist, something you wont mind dropping. You'll be a lot more confident in handling the bike through turns when your not worried about keeping it pretty.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Hello everyone. I an looking to buy my first bike. In fact still in process of getting my licence. Everyone i spoke to so far told me start small work your way up . In engine size which sounds logical at first. But costly second over a long period. Im more looking to buy ounce and enjoy it from there. My question first is do you guys agree on their advice and perhaps a reason why. Is it possible to learn from an instructor on a large bike? I want to get the zx-10r 2009 Model. I need some sound advice both for safety and cost effective. I plan to buy new. Thanks orion
Start on dirt! Go get a cheap dirt bike and crash it many times!:heyyou:

·
Registered
471 Posts
"any moron can ride a fast bike fast. You wanna impress me? ride a slow bike fast." -kenny shwantz

learn small, buy the safety gear, and if you dont hurt yourself too bad, move up when you are comfortable riding a 600. If you try to jump right to the G bikes, its gonna cost you more in the long run, possibly even your life. Ride safe, then ride fast, then ride REAL fast.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
163 Posts
:+1: Craigslist is your best bet for a cheap 600. Take it easy and learn at your own pace. Please don't let a friend push you too fast ( I've seen this happen.) Also, start getting familiar with your bike by doing minor maintenance isn't a bad idea either. GL and always wear your gear.

·
Registered
253 Posts
there are a few ppl on here including myself who got a zx-10 as their first bike. I know this thread is lengthy but ppl gave me alot of good info so i suggest u read through it.

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80935

You can drive the bike slow and not rip on it. Its not like the thing is an on/off switch like some ppl make it out to be. If you have enough respect and wear the proper gear and start slow i suggest u will be very happy

also take the training courses

·
Gone Ridin'
1,705 Posts
IMHO start with a 600, dont start off with anything smaller then 600 cause you will be selling it within 6 months of riding. A 600 is a great starter bike, just as soon as you start to ride you have to learn control, cause any bike can bit you in the ass if you miss treat it. And then within a few years you should be able to move up to a litre bike.
And a ZX6R is a really great first real bike.

+Whatever on the work your way up. Make your silly mistakes on something a little tamer.

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: I don't think I would recommend a 10 as a first bike. Not the best idea in the world.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: I don't think I would recommend a 10 as a first bike. Not the best idea in the world.
:welcome::+2:
Especially if u never rode before. Get a beater and spent a few months on it. If you dump that who cares. But if you get a ZX10R and that drops, it will almost make you cry!!!!LOL:eek:ccasion1

·
Team Green Baby!
2013 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
1,519 Posts
I would say this...You have to have the right mindset and if you are mature, responsible, have a conscience and have throttle control and all that other good stuff; that would be a start if you are seriously considering a litre bike. If you do do this route, you will scare the piss outta yourself. Be warned! That said, your best bet is get a cheap 600 you can learn from and that should satisfy your need for speed when you get to that point. 600s are still fast bikes; they don't fall into the Supersport category of motorcycles for nothing. Don't finance or buy a brand new 600, get one used instead because it will be very hard to try to sell a 600 w/ no title in hand than it is w/ 1000 w/ no title in hand.GL

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't know guys...I bought my first street bike last year....I"ve owned a harley but only for a few months....I'm 36..I might buy one again when I'm 50.....I bought an 08 ZX10R....I have been very happy with it...I"ve dropped it a couple times.....scraped up my bar ends and my frame sliders...but that's what happens.....why waste your money on a 250 or a 600 when you know you want a 1000cc....if you can afford it..buy your dream bike.....just ride it really really really safe and make the break in period a little longer like a year so you can get used to it really really good..I am glad I bought the 10 instead of the 6....I would have been disappointed and not happy if I bought a bike I knew I was going to replace....Now I know I won't ever have to buy another street bike again....I love it!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I started on a YZF600r about a year and a half ago. The only reason I ended up with a zx10r was b/c I got a stellar deal for a trade. I wasn't even going to keep it b/c it was too much bike for me. But after riding a few time I've come to terms with the power and know what is safe for me. Personally I would recommend a heavy 600. My YZF is one of the most stable bikes I've ever ridden mostly b/c it tips the scales just over 500#s. I still had tons of fun and learned to ride quite well on it. If I dumped it I only would have been mad b/c of all the hours I put into rebuilding it and painting it myself, but I wouldn't need $1000+ worth of plastics.

why waste your money on a 250 or a 600 when you know you want a 1000cc!
You may "know" you want one until you get on it and realize it's far more bike than you would have ever imagined.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
the fact is that a 1000 will get you into trouble much faster than a slower bike (although the 600 is lethal fast too). If your not used to riding especially among all the retards in cages, chances are you will have a split second lapse in concentration and all that big bad 10r needs is a split second to kill you. Start on something that is smaller and you can hone your skills on without worrying about every single little scratch, because your gonna add some more scratches sooner or later.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Your first bike is not the time to learn how fast a literbike is. They really are ridiculously fast and are very unforgiving to newbie rider mistakes. They have the ability to put you on your ass before you even realize what you did wrong.

Again, a bike that can break any speed limit in the country without leaving first gear is not something to be taken lightly.

My advice is to get yourself a 650 twin (Ninja or Suzuki) and put about 10,000 accident free miles on one of those. They're easy to ride, yet fast enough to keep you entertained for many miles. There are even advanced racers that still ride them.

Once that's done, get yourself a supersport.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts