Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 220 Posts

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We'll I haven't posted about my bike in quite a while... I've had her apart for probably 3 months now.... just haven't had the time to put her together and I've been weighing the options I have... I was going to put my KWS head back on and do a valve job on it and do a before and after with a different ported head....

Anyways....my head using a different head porting idea.... its a high velocity port that actually speeds up the air speed on its way into the cylinder. This has been proven on the street, track, strip and everywhere else as being much more efficient.... there's a science to actually making the air speed pick up but we have amazing results with the porting...

I have my complete bottom end assembled as of right now and just waiting for the head to receive a competition valve job, port match intake boots and re-surface the head. Going to go .002-.004" to pick up a bit more compression as well.... Going to run my Kawi intake race cam and a stock exhaust or a stock intake on the exhaust side. had piston skirts coated, new rings, wristpins and circlips, polished connecting rods to mirror finish and replaced all low end bearings... As for HP I'm not sure yet, I dont know what the bike will dyno on this dyno but I do know that with 380lbs FULLY WET and lets say 180-195hp :dontknow:.... she should definitely hauls some serious butt.... I got a few guys back home that want a piece of the 10 so we'll see.... One other thing, I'm using a 06 cyl head for a smaller intake valve for added velocity... bigger isn't always better...

These ports are quite a bit smaller then stock but the power you will gain from smaller intake ports is amazing... we got a BONE STOCK ZX-14 but with degreed STOCK cams make 188hp on motor when they normally make about 178-180....

Well heres some pics of the head..... first pic is stock port second is epoxy'ed high velocity porting....

exhaust clean up....

BTW.... normally a high velocity head port job like this including valve job runs normally $1,000 valve and springs are extra of course....

·
Registered
451 Posts
They say you can do that on the exhaust side as well, raise the floor to improve flow. :thumbsup: Especially on transverse 4 cylinders that have to make an immediate turn on the exhuast exit. I haven't seen it much on intakes as the flow usually is straight down from the airbox.

Check out the divider, I've heard widening properly like an airfoil also improves head flow and reduces turbulence.

Very nice.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, they do it on a lot of bikes that have just regular ports, if you look at the 10r the exhaust ports are raised to help that turn out into the headers.... its very hard to do it on the exhaust side since you usually have to have someone who can TIG weld very good and you have to do it piece by piece since you don't want to heat up the head and warp it....

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, I read about some of his stuff....

Actually there was a guy down south who used to port heads like this for over 20 years and built some of the fastest head around but he got burnt out and quit.... he did the same exact thing and I've wanted a high velocity head for a long time.... just so happens the place im working at my boss has been doing this for 8 years so far.

some people think epoxy will break away and explode a motor but he has a customer with a Harley with a epoxyed head and its been running for over 2 years and if a harley cant shake it loose nothing will.... actually one time a bike blew on the dyno and the intake valve shot back up inside the head well they had to cut the epoxy to get the valve out, thats how tough that is....

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Nice, very nice Garth. Can't wait to see the results. With any luck I think it's possible that I'll send the head off my 07 down to you in about a year, that way I can gain some power and get the valve service done in one shot! Thanks for coming back and posting, can't wait to see ya whooop up on some other bikes down there.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Hey Shawn, can't wait to see the results man! Definitely a different philosophy. I'm interested to see how it works. Did you dyno your bike before on the dyno up there?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have a set of race cams in perfect condition, cheap cheap cheap, if your interested, and I'm right down the street from you in sunny Palm Beach Florida.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Cant wait to hear the stories sean!

·
Registered
346 Posts
No thanks, I don't need anymore parts. I got these cams with a race motor I bought for parts and can't use them in my bike, hate to see them go to waste.
I just finally finished an 04 project that took me a year, and turned into a fucken expensive nightmare. I had motor parts scattered from one end of this country to the other.
I want to see some pics of the rods that you polished. I thought about doing that and then decided on carrillo's. I posted some pics under the "building an 08 monster" thread.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a very expensive pile of ZX12 thanks to a builder who thought it would gain something to polish the stock rods. All he did was remove the hardened steel on the rods and 2 races later broke rod. Rod bearing and wrist pin where in great shape, rod failure due to it being weakened from polishing.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Very interested in the high velocity ported head. PM'd!

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a very expensive pile of ZX12 thanks to a builder who thought it would gain something to polish the stock rods. All he did was remove the hardened steel on the rods and 2 races later broke rod. Rod bearing and wrist pin where in great shape, rod failure due to it being weakened from polishing.
yeah I was a lil weary of it but they have polished many rods before hand, there are always different variables in engine failures, I've seen a carrillo rod BEND right in the middle of the rod and they are 700hp rods lol....

well if it does chuck the motor a stroker or turbo motor will go in :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Anxious to hear about the results on this. You have to respect a guy who is willing to try all the variables in a search for power.

Good luck dude. Keep us in the loop.

1 - 20 of 220 Posts