Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after two weeks of officially owning the 10r (and lurking on the forums) I finally got her home and started the clean up process. It was owned by some folks who were in way over their heads with this thing; they kept it outside on a dirt/ gravel driveway in a heavily wooded area and never really rode it (1500miles on the clock and the tires stil had the color bar identification thing). It has leaves and pine needles in places I didn’t even know existed. It also appears to have fallen over…twice (once on each side w/ minor scratches to fairing). I was simply going to give her a quick wash and wax (along with oil change and chain maintenance) but I notices some grime under the pass seat, so I pulled it to clean it and only found even more grime around the tail light. Every time I took a panel off I found more dirt and leaves. 3 hours and two beers later, it was dark and I had taken the whole tail section apart and washed pretty much everything, as well as adjusted the clutch, shifter and brakes. I am hoping to get the rest of her cleaned up tomm.

My buddy, came over and we took some back roads to the beach (240miles). I was very impressed with the power, much more responsive than the SV but the exhaust note is weak so that will need to be fixed soon. The brakes also felt really squishy, they bite well but were nowhere as crisp as the SV (any suggestions?).

Other than that she will take some getting used to but she looks to be a ton of fun.

I’m sure I’ll have a ton of questions for you guys soon.

Jeff

Attachments

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
be careful with those tires bro!......if they have been sitting outside for nearly 2-3 years.they are bound to be a lil dry rotted!!....congrats on a very good lookin 10R......I always liked the Ti color!.......

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm keeping a close eye on the tires. I have some M3s ready to go but I wanted to wait untill I was closer to my track day.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
:welcome:They are pretty tippy if you are not used to that kind of bike. They probably tipped over on their leg and they gave up rideing it is my guess. Enjoy

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
:welcome: very nice bike. If you are not happy with the performance of the stock brakes, you can always upgrade to stainless lines a get a set of front Nissin calipers off of a 07-08 ZX-6 or 06-08 ZX-14. I can tell you first hand this mod is well worth it.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
nice :welcome:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm still working on getting her cleaned up to my standards, but everytime I start one project I get side tracked by something else. I'm thinking I'll give braided lines a try and see how that feels. I have noticed they are getting better the more I ride (same with the tranny) so I'm hoping they may have just been slightly corroded, still nothing to write home about but I'm not forced to contemplate my motality everytime I approach a turn.

Jeff

:welcome: very nice bike. If you are not happy with the performance of the stock brakes, you can always upgrade to stainless lines a get a set of front Nissin calipers off of a 07-08 ZX-6 or 06-08 ZX-14. I can tell you first hand this mod is well worth it.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
:+1:

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
:welcome: :welcome: great lookin bike and color :thumbsup:

·
Registered
835 Posts
:welcome:Welcome!:welcome:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts