Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2004 ZX-10R
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all fellas!
It´s been a hard year for me, since I´ve broken my right arm on May/08 on a highside I´ve went into during a trackday, and not been riding since then. I was riding a 954 in that occasion, since I began the motor work in my bike by that time.
Long story short, and after eleven screws and a ti bar inside my arm, I´m back riding and best of all, my 10R is also back in one piece!

I decided to do some engine work since my kawi race intake got ruined by metal failure and/or an oil related issue... whatever.. and having taken the decision to switch to Web Camshafts and take full advantage of them, and not go back to stockers.

My friend and tuner Gabriel did one of his usual great jobs on my cylinder head. I did myself all the disassemby and assembly work, cam timming, etc.. and enjoyed it very much.

I have to say that the final results met my expectations, and in fact they are outstanding to me.

Head porting is the usual one, not the high velocity type. Ports have been enlarged, both sides but mainly the exhaust one, smoothed out, and the intake boots perfectly matched.
Along with a .45mm head gasket, the head was decked to achieve 13.5 of compression ratio.
Combustion chamber ceilings and valves were teflon coated (yes!.. like a fry pan) This coating is incredibly highly durable, and not only prevents the carbon build up, but also reduces the air friction and increases the flame frontline speed.
Prove to this is that we had to retard the ignition to keep gaining power during the dyno tune.

Cams work just perfect. I´ve got better results than with the kawi race intake, but this is my own experience and may not apply if you don´t have the same configuration as me, or may be you get better results:badteeth:

This set of cams has same lift, and though total duration is less, more duration is measured at .05", related to the stock ones.
I know many people will ban them in their minds, but I want to tell that there is a lot more than degrees and lift to consider a cam as a good one.
This topic has been treated somehow with banality, and is extremely rare to hear speak about one of the most important factors of a cam, which is its profile.
The profile of a cam is what opens and closes the valves and at what speed it does the job (speed measured in degrees of rotation).
Then, you may have, for eg. two 270° cams with 9mm lift, and both of them can be as different as many wouldn´t imagine. One of them can work marvels in your engine, and the other can be a complete trash. And both have the same basic parameters (degrees/lift)
One of them can start opening slowly the valves and close them the same way, and the other cam can smash open the valves, keep open, and close really fast, imposing extra requirements on the valve springs.

What I want to say is that I gave a try to this cams, and they did the job of gaining power.

The complete list of mods to the engine, and related is:

BMC race filter
Factory Pro stacks
PC3
Ignition Module
Cylinder head complete work - upper stage porting, decking, and ceilings and valves teflon coated
Web camshafts (int-exh)
Kawi race valve springs
Kawi .45 gasket (decking and gasket to set compression at 13.5)
Akra Hex Full Ti.

The baseline for the stock 2004 10R on this dyno is 162CV at the wheel and 174CV at the crank. This figures are not far away from that measured in the US, and if there is a difference we know this is normal. That´s why the importance of setting the baseline to consider the achievement

What this bike made is 192 rear wheel CV, corresponding to 204+ CV at the crank.
That is about 30 CV + from completely stock.
What I can say... the bike just flies like a missile:lol:

I want to share pics with you, of the head, and from the dyno runs. Some of them are cellphone ones- sorry for the shitty quality

I´d like to debate anything you´d like to, regarding this whole build:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 ZX-10R
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dyno runs:
Pics show best power (wheel and crankshaft) and torque numbers, and all the associated data, as rpm, etc
The engine has put out 204.5 CV at the crank and about 192.1 to the rear wheel. We may have gone for sure over 205 CV if we would have tested the bike next day with fresh air in the dyno room, as we ended tunning with a very stuffy environment... but I was eager to run the bike and took her home

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 ZX-10R
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pic 004 shows -at the bottom- the average power output between 10500 rpm and rev. limiter (green bars). Average to the crank is 200 CV in the range!! and almost 189 to the wheel. Average loosen power something over 11CV

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 ZX-10R
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pic shows in white my engine power curve, and below (light blue curve) the one from another 2004 10R. This bike has a full Akrapovic ti exhaust and PC3 with custom map. It´s odo was 1800km by the time it was tested and tuned.
At 8000 rpm both bikes deliver almost the same power and from that on my engine starts to move away, up to 21 CV of difference!!

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
Pablo, una cosa de locooooos !!!! Quiero ver esa bestia en persona, ya nos veremos. Abrazos !

Sorry about the spanish thing... thats because this guy is a fellow countryman ! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2004 ZX-10R
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks a bunch to everyone for the nice comments!!:thumbsup:

This bike is really strong now; decided to put hands on the engine as I love this bike so much and didn´t want to feel her underpowered compared to the latest generations.

There´re many people in search of power, and this is another REAL choice; not a cheap one though as extensive work and components are needed, but will get you there, and good results are evident.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Finally it's posted!!! I've known about this bike and its development for a while and now I'm glad it's out there to be seen!
Pablo (owner) is a walking encyclopedia of the ZX10R and made great choices when modding his engine...I learned a lot through him and of course now I'm completely convinced that I need to go the same route:mrgreen:
Thanks Pablo for being a bad influence!!!!:eek:ccasion1

Congratulations on a fine ride! and post more pictures!!!!:badteeth:

racer155

·
Registered
2004 ZX-10R
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally it's posted!!! I've known about this bike and its development for a while and now I'm glad it's out there to be seen!
Pablo (owner) is a walking encyclopedia of the ZX10R and made great choices when modding his engine...I learned a lot through him and of course now I'm completely convinced that I need to go the same route:mrgreen:
Thanks Pablo for being a bad influence!!!!:eek:ccasion1

Congratulations on a fine ride! and post more pictures!!!!:badteeth:

racer155
Thanks for the generosity in your comments Marcelo!!.. I not sure I deserve them though... :lol:

You know this 10R is ready for you to take a ride on her if you decide to come to Argentina and spend some days around here :eek:ccasion1 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 ZX-10R
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is a lot more engine work than what my bike will ever see! I hope you use it all!
I´m trying to get used to the new power level, and haven´t been riding for a year, what makes things worse :lol:

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Nice work :thumbsup:

What is the comparison between a CV and HP?
Also what did all these cost you?

I am seriously thinking about it...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts