Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Where'd the boobs go?
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, she's not selling, I'm not selling her and now its time to trick her out for the track.

track riders/racers I need your valuable input. What modifications have you made to your 10r for the track? Anything be it from tires-rearsets, I want to know. Also mods like flies gone etc. What extra weight that comes stock can I eliminate? What are my first must have mods and on and on? What have you guys done to your tens? I want to know all. I was going to wait and track a 636, but I'm not going to give away my 10r for what they are going because people are hard up for cash. Thanks very much for your invaluable information. Also for handling in corners has anyone lowered the front end a little, and any other tips on setting up suspension for making the 10r handle better in corners. A 6rr/636 and 10r are like night and day for me in the corners.

·
Registered
215 Posts
i've fitted 2 my 06 a set of akira headers with carbon two bros muffler, vortex rearsets and clip ons, wp suspension, hyper pro damper, pc3, gi pro w/atre, k&n filter and race fairings but thats all for now.

·
Where'd the boobs go?
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would you save is your best or favorite mod for the track...No brake mods? Thanks for responding!!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
sorry forgot about the brakes:mrgreen: i put braided steel brake lines, hi temp fluid and sintered race pads. The best mod i done was definitly the suspension

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
The top 3 for track-bound Zx10's of mine:

1) Tires (DOT Race tires... cheaper than new bodywork :badteeth:)
2) Rearsets. I grind the crap out of the stock ones... and rearsets are cheaper than my boots too.
3) Front brake upgrade(s)... calipers and lines in my case do the job. The stockers don't cut it for me.

...beyond that it comes more down to taste/track. Gearing is a good idea, as well as removing anything you don't want to replace in the even of a crash. Things like exhaust and such are nice, but not at all necessary. I have a weakness for quickshifters, so that requires a PC3 as well. :mrgreen: If you're going track-only with the vehicle, get some 3 piece bodywork and chop/unbolt/lose everything that the bike doesn't need to run. Low mass is it's own reward, heheh.

Handling? Hrm, I like a little extra ride height in the back, and I've played with lowering the front as well. Those two, combined with aggressive tires and gearing will mike the bike pretty exciting on the power.... especially over bumps. If/when you get to that point you might find that a damper upgrade of some sort is in the cards. I think you'll be amazed at the handling difference you get just out of the DOT race tires; it really is night-and-day. When you're good enough to need high dollar suspension you'll know it.... 'till then you can tweak and dial the stockers up to a pretty fast pace.

What and where do you plan on using the bike for? Each track has its strong/weak points that people can recommend mods for. :) Setting up a pure track bike is a lot easier than compromisng one for street use.

·
Where'd the boobs go?
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great information, exactly what I'm looking for. I know I should change the gearing from stock for sure. I need a new chain and sprockets for sure. I'm not trying to set it up for just one track, but should I go -1+1? What is your gearing on the bike right now. 102 in first is pretty tall. What DOT race tires are you using? Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
for gearing it depends on the track i've gone -1 on the front and then i have a 39,40,41,42,43 options for the rear, as for tyres i use slicks but if you are new to racing your better learning on dot tyres before progessing to slicks

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
...I'm still learning as far as gearing goes. I'm a pretty good street rider, which means I have bad habits on the track. :badteeth: A local racer suggested that I gear the bike so that I don't have to shift through neutral to first ever. On a tight track that means some pretty serious gearing... like -2/+2 for me. right now I'm at -1/+2 and that's pretty wild, but I still feel like I need 1st to get a decent drive out of a few corners on this track (ASR). If you're not actually racing you don't need to be so picky about your gearing... but the advice about gearing yourself out of first is pretty sound I've found out. ;) Finding neutral hard on the brakes rolling into a tight corner is a pretty sick feeling, hehe.

Full-on slicks are a bit much for novice riders IMO too, but the DOT race tires are really nice stuff. I can't speculate on your pace or skill level, but they are worth it if you ask me. I've run the BT002 rear... the Pirelli SC2 front, and the new PP One front & back. I've heard the new BT003 front is better than the 002, but the rear is about the same.... I haven't run any of those yet. :) All of those are outstanding tires if you ask me.... especially the pirelli front. Truth be told, all those tires have more than I can properly use atm, but they make the whole experience quite a bit more enjoyable. I ended up wearing out the last of the BT002 rear/pirelli SC2 front on the street.... and it made me wish I had that kinda money to blow on tires like that all the time... just freakin' sweet grip. I can see why most racers slow down on the street: street tires are scary by comparison. ;) The ZX10R has the ability to overwhelm just about any rear tire, but I've cooked a Pilot Power street tire at a trackday and ended up on my head with no warning. The DOT race tires slide -much- more predictably and have more feel.... and the bike just handles better to boot. You can do it on street tires if you like: they are plenty capable... I just had to learn the hard way where the limit was with those. Talk to your trackside fast guys and tire vendor to see where you stand with lap times and what tire you might want to run. :)

·
Where'd the boobs go?
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks alot spaz. Very valuable information. I currently have pp 2ct's and I really want to try the new Power One's. Your telling me that those tires have put you on your head? DOT race takeoffs I'm getting from my privateer race team buddy. My skill level is also nothing even close to novice. I've reached on the clovers near limits of traction on my 2cts and suit up in my one piece every corner I take. My pucks don't look so new!

·
Where'd the boobs go?
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Come on 10r racers get with me. More insight in to track 10 mods and things that I would most benefit from would be great. I know their are a lot more of you!!!

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
...I high-sided a set of PP street tires. When they let go, they don't give you much warning. The PP One are DOT-race tires, and the -new- ones are pretty bad ass. They're expensive too... but they don't make you invincible (managed to wash the front out last month... though that was more rider error/bad track placement that caused it). the new PP One front makes the front end a litle more nervous than the Pirelli in my experience, and a few people agree with me. If you get any sort of fresh take-offs you'll be able to start getting used to the extra grip/handling pretty easy. I'm not a big fan of buying/using take-offs unless I know the bike & rider they're comming off..... they usually take them off for a reason. ;)

Start with the basic stuff before you get all crazy with mods. :) Too much at once will be a little overwhelming and expensive. If you just want to shake the money stick at your bike that badly, all the usual suspects can be bought/replaced (wheels, suspension, exhaust, bodywork, uber-brakes, traction control, etc). If you're just starting out you'd probably benefit more just from doing what you really need to do to the bike (bodywork, controls, brakes, and tires) and upgrading when your skills call for it. Racing is a whole new ball game compared to fast street riding; it's going to take some getting used to. :) Cool suspension and exhaust and such aren't going to help you much until you get lots of seat time & track miles in. Remove all the shit you possibly can and go run the hell outta the thing, the buy what you -need-. It's more fun that way. And cheaper (both pre and post crashing). And best of all you still have the 'ol "Well, it's still mostly stock" excuse to fall back on. ;)

You really don't need to do much to the bike to make it a track weapon... they almost come that way. :mrgreen:

·
Where'd the boobs go?
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the great information. Sounds like you have had your share of crashes on the track already. How long have you been track riding/racing? I have a friend who owns a privateer race team and is a professional. He used to make 6 figures wrenching on some huge ama teams years ago. I'm getting much information from him, but anything on here from smart experienced racers track day goers is a + as well. Thanks again and keep monitoring this thread if you think you forgot something and want to add or notice something about what someone else posted.:wink:

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Don't mean to be a dick but other than a fresh set of tires you need NO MODS when you're starting out. Totally stock off the showroom floor the 10 and pretty much any sportbike made in the last decade is capable of much more than anyone around here can do.

Like I said, get a new set of street/trackday tires, any of the top brands will do. Make sure all the bikes parts are securely fastened where they're supposed to be, and that's pretty much it.

Instead of worrying about having your bike be "race-ready", just concentrate on riding and learning the track.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I pretty much agree with that, but I was trying to say it a bit nicer. :) Though, most middle-group track riders will run into ground clearance issues on stock-rearset bikes with good tires. :) And any kind of "comfort" mod will go a long way to letting you concentrate on riding and learning. Just my 2 pennies there. :)

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
^^^
Yeah, after I posted I read your post a little closer and saw that you basically said the same thing.

Although, I don't agree about the rearsets. Years ago when I first got moved to the 'A' group all I had done to the bike was removed the "feelers" from the end of the pegs and installed a pipe and PC because you GOTTA have a pipe and PC if you're fast. :lol: At least that's what I thought back then, anyway. And I only touched the pegs down a couple times that season. I think if a middle-pack or 'I' rider is scraping his pegs he is likely doing something wrong like being "crossed-up" and pushing the bike down under him with his arms instead of being in-line with the bike.

But again, you are correct about being "comfy" on the bike. That does make going fast easier.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Well... maybe the guys at ASR are just stupid fast then. :mrgreen: I'm about a middle of the pack amature racer there but a few of this seasons amatures are like 5 seconds away from lap record pace. My second gen's pegs get to be trouble. With the hero blobs remove the peg likes to 'dig' really bad as the corner/edge of the peg decks out. It's bad enough that it likes to grab my boots and try to pull them off the pegs :badteeth: Woodcrafts fixed the problem, but I barely touch those on the low settings here and there. My body position still needs a little work, but it's not bad enough to cause clearance issues.... I think. (http://www.highdesertracing.com/keyword/96/1/509143366_cQQJ8/Original) :) The bike is a little higher in back to boot. My laptimes suffer from braking and transitions... and getting on the gas a little too late/soft. I don't have a problem carring corner speed for the most part. :badteeth:

...mind you, it's not an issue with street tires for me. There's no way I could run that sort of lean angle consistantly on street tires. I like rearsets too because it's one more solid frame slider between the bike and the ground. I've had a stock rearset *snap* and puncture my clutch cover before. Fun stuff, there.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Go get a 600 for a track bike. You will see that people will lap the hell out of you on them with complete crap bikes. I'm not saying that your a bad rider but this has been the case with me and I know my bike is fast as hell. I feel that everything I did to my bike was for me but really unnessary for the track. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
...looking back on this it seems like a bit of a thread-jack. :) duactibrandon is right: fast guys will be killing you on SS 600's. But if you're like me and money is tight, you race what you have. :)

Bottom line: Get good tires and go run the thing. After you get some seat time you'll know what YOU need from the experience out there. I'll tell you right now that you don't need more power or $2000 forks/wheels/shock/brakes. You may need some ergonomic adjustments, but you won't know till you get out thre and do it. Invest in track time, suspension know-how, schools, and tires... that's your best bet.

And have fun!!

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
...looking back on this it seems like a bit of a thread-jack. :) duactibrandon is right: fast guys will be killing you on SS 600's. But if you're like me and money is tight, you race what you have. :)

Bottom line: Get good tires and go run the thing. After you get some seat time you'll know what YOU need from the experience out there. I'll tell you right now that you don't need more power or $2000 forks/wheels/shock/brakes. You may need some ergonomic adjustments, but you won't know till you get out thre and do it. Invest in track time, suspension know-how, schools, and tires... that's your best bet.

And have fun!!
this is the best thing said so far. when i got my suspension tuned for me it was like riding a totally different bike. the power is there from the factory, tweeking what you already have is the key.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Lots of good advise so far. Mainly good tires, tire-warmers (mostly for tire longevity and a little confidence), and some suspension. Someone who really understands suspension can do wonders with the stock stuff. I know it's been mentioned, but fiberglass bodywork is a great small investment for a large piece of mind. I know you're tracking the bike because you can't sell right now, but you may want to one day. A simple lowside will trash your stock stuff, but you can likely easily repair fiberglass. Plus you can always swap out back to street to sell it if the situation arises. Good luck and have fun.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts