Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

A long post, but please bear with me....

I have been reading here on the site for quite some time now, and it's very good stuff...I currently own a 2003 GSRX 1000, and am just about ready to go trade it in for a new '05 ZX-10R....don't know what color yet...it'll be very bad if there is no black this year!

One of my biggest concerns prior to making this trade was "issues" with the trans, based on the early pre-production test bikes that were magazine mules. One of the biggest reasons I am making this change was to get the true Close-Ratio gearbox of the ZX-10R, compared to my Mid-Ratio Gixxer gearbox. I just plain HATE a mid to wide ratio gerabox!!!

So, as you can guess, this has been reason for my waiting to see what the new '05 ZX-10 was going to have in the way of mechanical changes. I spoke with a local ZX-10R owner today, a man whom I know well enough to respect his opinions and statements. He is an avid rider/racer, and owns many quality sport bikes. His ZX-10R is an '04 model, don't know the build date...

He told me the following today, when speaking about the ZX-10R tranny:

He said the two main things the ZX-10 needed was a good steering stabilizer, a fact many of you already know!!!, and some minor tranny tweaks. He told me his trans was often very hard to get into third gear under 'hard' power, and sometimes missed that shift as a result. Well, I just read about the "oil bath" clutch thing that Gladding did to smooth out his shifting issues. That was a great write-up and sounds like the fix for many minor trans issues...

However, my friend said that during his racing events, he met and befriended some of the Kawasaki racing folks, and they have assisted him with obtaining some "new" parts for his transmission. He told me he got a new shift arm, a stronger spring, and something else I can't recall.... He told me he had to drop the oil pan to install these pieces, and since that was done, he has had no problems at all shifing.

So here is my question to all you techno types...Does anyone know if the '05 model (or even the mid-year '04) has/had any changes such as my friend told me about???

As much as I want to do this trade, I don't want to do so if I'm going to have trans problems, that being the VERY reason I want to make the trade...

Thanks in advance

Take care,

JJ

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Thanks for the plug jjgi, it's made an enormous improvement on my bike. I've also talked to Marc at Factory Pro about the tranny. He's producing the parsts of which you speak, Shift Arm, detend spring, and shift star(the part you can't remember?) for the '04's. Insallation of these parts should net less effort required to shift and more positive engagement of the next gear. I have yet to miss a shift since tinkering with the clutch, and only missed a couple before. My biggest gripe was with the feel and effort needed, and those two complaints have been resolved with the clutch fix. I'll hold off for now on buying the Factory Pro shift kit, unless I have a few extra bucks this winter while it's raining :). Maybe the boys at KHI are reading and they'll look into the clutch pack assy. issue I had for '05, although I don't think it's a widespread problem. Seems like a few guys have the same issue I had, but not a ton of people talking about it. Maybe Hop Sing was having a bad day at work when he assembled my clutch(Sorry Hop, no offence intended), but it's all good now, and I'm really happy with the cogbox. Pick up the 05, you'll love it. Just my $.10R Cents.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
The pre-production shifting issue was fixed before production started. It is a non-issue. I have never missed a shift in 11,000 km of street riding, with the stock gearbox. No shift kit, no nothing.

If you're piddling around in town at 3000 rpm, sometimes it will not engage the next gear until you start letting the clutch out again, but it's no big deal. At full boogie, mine shifts fine every time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have read that the shifting problem was due to the shifter linkage rod being too thin and there was flexing in the rod. A thicker rod was used and the problem was gone, and everyone made such a big ass stink about it saying the tranny was a pos. mine has been fine since day one.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
no problems here she shifts nice and smooth....much smoother than the suzuki i traded in.....the only clunk is neutral to first.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone for the input...

I have decided I'm going to do this swap out! I have a prospective buyer for my GSXR, and I'll know about that for sure in about a week...

I spoke to my local dealer today, the actual business owner, who is a good friend and a VERY knowledgable motorcycle mechanic. He told me he just got back from a Kawa dealer meeting, and was told that the FACTORY did make some minor adjustments to the trans on the new '05, to "improve shifting", but he did not not know what specifically they had changed. He said he also heard that they ARE going to continue the black color for '05....

Well, if that works out to be true, it makes this new purchase an even easier choice...

If not, well, I might have to consider the Titanium, since I'm not too fond of the other colors showing for '05, and since I have such a great new black/silver Suomy helmet...

Anyway, thanks again for all your input..

Take care,

JJ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts