Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, last night I decided that it was time to ride my poor neglected bike to a bike night. I haven't been to Hooters on the bike night in months and everyone was callin me talkin sh*t about how long it's been since I've been out riding, so I decided to make a presence...
I get there and my eye had been really bothering me...it was really red and swollen (I think I might have cut it)
ANYWAY, I'm hangin out for a few hours and the crowd starts to dwindel so I decided it was best to go home and see what I can do about my poor eye....
I hope on Hollywood Blvd. (this is a 6 lane freakin Main drag..right?)...I get going and all of the sudden I see lights and head the dickhead going "PULL ALL THE WAY OVER, DON'T TRY TO RUN"....I couldn't beleive he was talking to me....I didn't do anything....at least I didn't think i did....
So, I pull over, the cop is like 65 and maybe 350lbs 5'8....license, registration, etc.........said I was doing 63 in a 35....wrote me a ticket and that was that....
My very first motorcycle ticket..... :headshake :rolleyes:
oh well........
PS...my eye is STILL red and swollen and burning....it hurts real bad :sad:

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
sorry about your bad luck Ash. A sore eye and a speeding ticket?? Sounds like you need a hug... :sad:

So were you going that speed??

go and have that eye checked out. your vision is nothing to take for granted..

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
sorry to hear that, i would fight the ticket so you dont get any points.I have gotten 5 speeding tickets in the last year and fought everyone and won. :wink: you pay a little more but your insurance wont go up. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
292 Posts
Well, here in Switzerland doing over 60 in a 35 mph zone would leave you walking for at least 3 months and would cost something like 2000 USD!!! I'd say you're pretty lucky for getting off with just a ticket.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
shiot!!!you just reminded me that i need to clear the illegal liscense bracket ticket by the 22nd...thx...btw that sux...

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no, my eye didn't hinder my vision...
I was riding and there was an R1 in the lane next to me....when I first saw the cop, he was talking to another cop from car to car both faceing opposite directions....
Both myself and the R1 pulled over when the cop pulled out and put his lights on...he claimed that he radared us at 63 but I remember looking down at my speedo when I saw them about 1/2 mile before we passed them and I was doing 56(not that it's much better)....so, I guess I should fight it huh? Is it really possible to clock 2 bikes at the same MPH at the same time? El D...does that sound right? anyone know?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
well if your speedo said 56 then in reality you were probaly only going about 51-53 actual. You have stock gearing I'm assuming. I'd fight it and say you weren't the only bike on the road and you weren't going that fast. Your driving record should back up that your not an everyday offender..
I have a buddy that had gotten two tickets this year and he's pissed fo' sure.
he made a court date for the one and it's not til 3/06 :lol: guess they are hoping he'll forget to show up in six months lol.
good luck to you Ash.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
i alway plead guilty and say that i cant afford the points.i just say i were just trying to catch up with my other friend and didnt know how fast i was going or some shit like that.when i plead not guilty i always lose. Thats in michigan.did anyone else fight a ticket?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
sorry to hear the misfortune.....I would think the radar wouldn't be able to pick up 2 bikes at once......but then again, the cop could claim he clocked one of you and by his expert judgement, you were both traveling at least that fast.....what can ya do.....hope you eye is or gets better!!!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Most states offer deferred ajudication (probation). I normally average about two tickets a year. I take the defensive driving class once a year and the other tickets I plea for deferred ajudication. Last time I went in uniform and the judge gave me a small fine ($125) and two months probation (not allowed to get a ticket for speeding in that two months), pays to have military friendly judges. These tickets never make your driving record if you do it right.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Did the officer offer to let you see the speed on the radar gun? If so, did you verify that it was the speed alleged? What type of radar gun? If you want to fight it, ask for documentation as to when the officer was last trained on the useage, when the radar unit was last calibrated. When you ask those questions, sometimes they don't want to open that can of worms. Traffic conditions? You said there was another bike involved, do you know this person? Will he testify favorably on your behalf? Get a good lawyer who knows what to do.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Also, see if you can check the ticket records of this officer. Does he have a history of ticketing bikes in high numbers versus cars and seat belt violations.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
When you appear in court, dress appropriately, showing that you understand the formality of this issue. Be respectful, answer firmly, without getting aggressive or antagonistic or personal. Be self assured. You were not going the speed alleged. With any luck the officer won't show and the case will be dropped.

·
Registered
424 Posts
if you have a speedohealer.....

change the setting till its 23 MPH under. You'll have to do some math to get close to the correct percentage. Take it to the shop for a calibration. They'll see how far its off. Take the paperwork to court.
Thats what I would do.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Sorry to hear, Ash. Too bad he wasn't younger--he might have let you go. :love10: Take it to one of those ticket clinics or have Crispin hook you up with his lawyer.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
motorcykleash said:
no, my eye didn't hinder my vision...
I was riding and there was an R1 in the lane next to me....when I first saw the cop, he was talking to another cop from car to car both faceing opposite directions....
Both myself and the R1 pulled over when the cop pulled out and put his lights on...he claimed that he radared us at 63 but I remember looking down at my speedo when I saw them about 1/2 mile before we passed them and I was doing 56(not that it's much better)....so, I guess I should fight it huh? Is it really possible to clock 2 bikes at the same MPH at the same time? El D...does that sound right? anyone know?

If you were side by side matching speeds it's totally possible. Sucks though... :headshake

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Dawson-ZX said:
sorry to hear the misfortune.....I would think the radar wouldn't be able to pick up 2 bikes at once......but then again, the cop could claim he clocked one of you and by his expert judgement, you were both traveling at least that fast.....what can ya do.....hope you eye is or gets better!!!

Radar isn't target specific. It won't "single out" one bike, or one car. It's up to the operator to know, and be able to testify to which vehicle within the range of the radar that it's picking up. If it was laser then a single bike or car could be picked out of a group of them and specifically clocked independent of all the others.

·
Registered
764 Posts
On the topic of your eye. Do you have any discharge coming from it especially when you wake up in the morning? Sounds like you have pink eye (conjunctivitis) to me. There are some over the counter stuff that can help clear it up. If the over the counter stuff don't help within a couple of days, I would seek medical attention. A doctor can prescribe something stronger that will clear it up in no time. The medication is either an eye wash or medicinal eye drops. Also, try not to rub your eye as it'll make things worse.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts