Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Bmc race filter....how much real world difference does running without a filter make?? Does it make any more power?? E.T. drop ?? If so...how much 1, 2hp??? .10th ???

thanks in advance??

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I have a Bmc race filter....how much real world difference does running without a filter make?? Does it make any more power?? E.T. drop ?? If so...how much 1, 2hp??? .10th ???

thanks in advance??
Well considering that a filter is designed to keep crap out of your engine, I'm guessing that initially you'll get a lil more power but after you suck in a bunch of dirt and bugs, you'll ruin your engine....

If you really want more power, just pour a bunch of sand in your intake and it'll bore and polish your cylinders.....:heyyou:

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well considering that a filter is designed to keep crap out of your engine, I'm guessing that initially you'll get a lil more power but after you suck in a bunch of dirt and bugs, you'll ruin your engine....

If you really want more power, just pour a bunch of sand in your intake and it'll bore and polish your cylinders.....:heyyou:
hmmmm.......i already have ported head, so ill skip the sand.

Anyway...for those folks that go no filter soley at the track(and PLENTY DO!!)any REAL feedback would be appreciated:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,360 Posts

Anyway...for those folks that go no filter soley at the track(and PLENTY DO!!)any REAL feedback would be appreciated:thumbsup:
Maybe look over at pyschobike as there are more racers there. If you have the time to search, I remember when the ZX14 came out in 08 I believe Gadson did a test of it bone stock with and without the filter, so it'll at least give you an idea of what you're gaining.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe look over at pyschobike as there are more racers there. If you have the time to search, I remember when the ZX14 came out in 08 I believe Gadson did a test of it bone stock with and without the filter, so it'll at least give you an idea of what you're gaining.
got a post on their now.....thanks:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

:heyyou:

All in good fun, though on a serious note,
I don't really do alot of racing {track day here and there when i can afford it} so I wasn't aware that people did this...must be a draggin thing cuz I would imagine that just riding around or even at track days, this would really fuck up your engine after a short time....But I don't really know that much about bikes in the grand scheme of things...

Maybe you could post your findings...???

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
seems like there would be some small gains BUT would the bike/map need to be redone to make up for the added air and not lean out the mixture? i know that runing open headers will pick up a few HP so the filter would have to make a difference. there was an article in SSB a couple months ago on the headers.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
probably without.........

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I believe Rickey Gadson ran his zx14 without filter and with pump 87......he must know something for that bike not sure on others though.

bloo

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Works better with the 14's than the busa's ssb mag did a myth buster story and it added very little but after replacing my 10r filter with a race one, the air box must work well cause it needed to be changed (less than 900 miles)also a good story in this month's ssb about gas 87 vs 91/92, only a very sm change as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts