Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have a 04 and everything was fine with it in the fall and then I brought it to a place to have the bike stored for the winter. I get it back yesterday and the guy tells me that theres something wrong with my bike cause the FI light stays on all the time even with the key out and I also noticed the rear tail lights stay on all the time as well but very dim. Does this more than likely sound like an electrical problem? I'm just not sure how it could be cause nothing was touched at all in terms of wires and such. The guy mentioned he had to boost it a few times to get it to start, is it possible that a bad battery could cause this? Although, he said he had it on a tender throughout winter while in storage. Any suggestions or thoughts would be great.

thanks

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
sounds like like your ignition switch is acting up. something looks to be shorted in there. try putting another ignition switch. or take the old one off and try to clean it out. maybe even spray wd40 in there. wiggle the key in there

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
well, maybe only one of the circuits is closed. the key operates more than one. its just a thought, you know.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
sounds like like your ignition switch is acting up. something looks to be shorted in there. try putting another ignition switch. or take the old one off and try to clean it out. maybe even spray wd40 in there. wiggle the key in there
:iamwithst

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not the ignition switch or anything.. if it helps, when the tail light is on, its dimmer than when the key is in and turned to the ON position.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Check the code related to the fi light. This might help identify where the short is located.

You could also review the wiring diagrams and see if you can identify anything in common with what you are seeing.

Remove the tank, seat etc and wiggle wires to see if anything changes.

You can use a multimeter to trace wiring to find where the issue is located using the wiring diagram. Good Luck, shorts can be a bitch sometimes.

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,738 Posts
I thought the bike was in storage... how come the guy had to "boost" it to get it to start ?

Are you sure it was in storage.. or maybe the "guy" was using it ? I'm confused...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
some place i take it to get it stored does and oil change and all that so when he tried to start it after the oil change he had to boost it.

i'm not sure how checking an FI light works on a bike but does it work the same as an engine light on a car so you would need a diagnostic tool to do so?

·
Registered
609 Posts
i'm not sure how checking an FI light works on a bike but does it work the same as an engine light on a car so you would need a diagnostic tool to do so?
Download the service manual (sticky in this section) it's documented there. You don't need any special tools.

Could be a dead end (no code just a short on the FI light), but worth a try.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts