Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On start up this am, engine runs fine but FI indicator blinks and red 'dummy' light stays on. Could someone direct me to the thread that covers this issue?

Thanks! :dontknow:

·
Registered
678 Posts
One thing you could scope out real quick is your Oil level. I had a bike with a piston ring and well I rode it for awhile before I rebuilt it. But when the oil would get low enough it would do what your saying. Just throwing something quick and easy

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,856 Posts
You need to pull the error code while the light is on. There are a number of things that could be causing the FI light. Some minor, some major. If you have a Gen 2 or 3 bike, then you need to put the instrument in the mode to show the odometer, then press and hold the Reset button until the error code(s) are displayed where the mileage would be. If more than one code is active, they will scroll each number in sequence.

On the Gen 1's, I believe you need a jumper to put the computer into a diagnostic mode to get the codes. But I'm not sure as I've never dealt with a Gen 1 before.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
On start up this am, engine runs fine but FI indicator blinks and red 'dummy' light stays on. Could someone direct me to the thread that covers this issue?

Thanks! :dontknow:
it would help to know the year/gen of the bike and have you done anything to or changed anything recently on the bike?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it would help to know the year/gen of the bike and have you done anything to or changed anything recently on the bike?
2006 .. totally stock. Got on to ride to work in the am and started fine. I noticed a bad oil smell (but like gear oil/not sure if thats relevant) which made me take a double look at the gauges and I saw the FI indicator on and the red light blinking.

There was no visible oil leaks (in regards to the smell) but I parked it and took the car to work.

It rode fine a few days ago when I rode to work.

I'll check the oil level like the above post suggests and then I guess it's going to the shop. The shop is about a 14 mile ride.. should I just have it towed?

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
IF it's not leaking anything or running funny then i would personally ride it to the shop.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got home and pulled the error code of '34' /= exhaust butterly valve actuator malfunction. What the heck is this?

I guess that means its safe to ride to the shop?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Save yourself some money and fix this one yourself. It's easy-I've done it to my 06.

I used Ivan's Performance exhaust servo eliminator. With basic hand tools and the service manual (free download from this site), you can have it squared away in no time and not have to pay someone else $100 an hour.

Service manual

Ivan's Performance

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Just got home and pulled the error code of '34' /= exhaust butterly valve actuator malfunction. What the heck is this?

I guess that means its safe to ride to the shop?
its probably not even broken. take the seat off and wiggle the switches that go to it. and check the cables that connect to the valve in the exhaust to see if they are stuck. it should take you 30min

1 - 11 of 11 Posts