Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
can we ride yet!?!?!?
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which is; stick (ignition)coil #1 malfuntion open wiring or short.
gen 1 10r

Now the bike was running fairly rough but had no "FI" light on. I replaced the plugs, cleaned air filter, and changed the oil. Now I'm getting the 51 code. so i went back in, checked the coil to make sure everything is hooked up correctly and it is. I took the #1 spark plug back out just to make sure it was installed correctly.I even swapped the #1 and #2 coil packs to make sure i didn't have a bad coil. Still no change. I have made sure the wire connection to the coil is clean and even greased it.

Bike is running better but still not 100%

unhooked pcIII still no change

One thing i didnt do was gap the plugs before i put them in. (cant access the manual to know what gap should be) The other three seem to be fine

Anyone got and ideas? Point me in the right direction?

My computer took a dump on me so i no longer have the service manual, and my I-pad wont allow me to open the manual in the sticky thread. Even if you could tell me how to get the manual on my I-pad, i could pobably take it from there.

·
can we ride yet!?!?!?
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
been awhile since i been on the board, but you are dating yourself with that signature dude :crackup: and no, i don't remember it, i was born in '76. sounds like gerry curl juice to me. appreciate any help i can get. thanks man

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Spark Plug Gap: 0.8 - 0.9 mm (0.032 - 0.035 in.)

Stick Coil (Ignition Coil together with Spark Plug Cap) Inspection • Remove the stick coils (see this chapter). • Measure the primary winding resistance [Aj as follows. OConnect the hand tester between the coil terminals. OSet the tester to the x 1 0 range, and read the tester. • Measure the secondary winding resistance [Bj as follows. OConnect the tester between the plug terminal and (-) coil terminal. OSet the tester to the x 1 kO range and read the tester.
Ignition Coil Winding Resistance Primary Windings: 1.2 - 1.6 n Secondary Windings: 8.5 - 11.5 kn
*If the tester does not read as specified, replace the coil.

Stick Coil Primary Peak Voltage
NOTE OBe sure the battery is fully charged.
• Remove the stick coils (see this chapter), but do not re- move the spark plugs. • Measure the· primary peak voltage as follows. Olnstall the new spark plug [A] into each stick coil , and ground them onto the engine. OConnect a commercially available peak voltage adapter [C] into the hand tester [0] which is set to the x 250 V DC range. OConnect the adapter to the lead wire-peak voltage adapter [E] which is connected between the stick coil connector and stick coil. [F] ECU Recommended Tool - Peak Voltage Adapter Type: KEK-54-9-B Brand: KOWA SEIKI
SpecialTools -Hand Tester: 57001-1394 Lead Wire-Peak Voltage 57001-1449
Primary Lead Connection
Adapter:
Adapter (R, +) to lead wire-peak voltage adapter: Stick Coil #1 (BK) Stick Coil #2 (BK/G) Stick Coil #3 (BKlW) Stick Coil #4 (BK/O) Adapter (BK, -) to lead wire-peak voltage adapter (R)
A WARNING To avoid extremely high voltage shocks, do not touch the spark plugs or tester connections.
• Turn the ignition switch and the engine stop switch ON. • Pushing the starter button, turn the engine 4 - 5 seconds with the transmission in neutral to measure the primary peak voltage. • Repeat the measurements 5 times for one stick coil.
Stick Coil Primary Peak Voltage Standard: 72 V or more
• Repeat the test for the other stick coil.

·
can we ride yet!?!?!?
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so after chasing my wiring gremlin, it came down to my speedo healer being the culprit. i unhooked it, plugged the factory harness back together and no "fi" code. then i plugged speedo healer back in and everything is fine. had nothing to do with my coil packs or a short or open wiring.

just wanted to update for the next guy doing a search. i actually thought that it might have been my gi pro. heal tech gear indicator but i didn't even get that far

1 - 5 of 5 Posts