Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,369 Posts
"Felix Baumgartner will take about half an hour to get back to Earth during this afternoon's 120,000-foot skydive"

Which is about 22 miles.

Whilst on earth, it takes almost an hour on the 405 freeway from 10 to 101 and that's only 10 miles.

So it took Felix 30 min to get to our planet from outerspace and yet takes me 1 hour to get accross 10 miles of freeway.

Somethings wrong here.
:headshake

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,793 Posts
I'm not exactly sure how he was able to fit his nutsack in that suit. But that sure would be one helleva fun ride!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
That shit is just insane but awsome as shit.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
How did he break terminal velocity?
I have just read/heard bits and pieces of this, but for a man to go 700mph+ seems deadly.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How did he break terminal velocity?
I have just read/heard bits and pieces of this, but for a man to go 700mph+ seems deadly.
Where he jumped from the air was so thin there was almost no resistance. They said the first 30 seconds was his chance to break the barrier. But he was spinning so bad I don't think he broke it. That was something they were worried about. since there was no resistance he couldnt really control the fall in the most important part. But had to be close.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Where he jumped from the air was so thin there was almost no resistance. They said the first 30 seconds was his chance to break the barrier. But he was spinning so bad I don't think he broke it. That was something they were worried about. since there was no resistance he couldnt really control the fall in the most important part. But had to be close.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Ok that makes sense. Kind of strange though, the only place you can break the record and you have no control over it, the irony.
Cool though, that's gotta be a rush. So when he got into the thicker atmosphere did he slow down to terminal velocity? Still seems hard on the body, but props to the guy for trying.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok that makes sense. Kind of strange though, the only place you can break the record and you have no control over it, the irony.
Cool though, that's gotta be a rush. So when he got into the thicker atmosphere did he slow down to terminal velocity? Still seems hard on the body, but props to the guy for trying.
Excatly! I guess they analyzed the data from his suit and he did indeed break the sound barrier. He went Mach 1.2 or somethin. I wanna say it was 850 somethin mph. Even in a pressurized suit that would still be a lot to take. Yeah once he got into the thicker air he slowed down pretty quick. You can watch it on YouTube. they had a speedometer on the camera. It was pretty nuts!!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,793 Posts
Just to clarify what Bgmagma said already, the term "terminal velocity" only represents the point at which an object stops accelerating. It's not a fixed speed, and is totally variable based on a lot of different factors. In the lower part of the atmosphere, a human falling flat will achieve a terminal velocity around 120mph. But if that same person goes head-down and is more aerodynamic, terminal velocity changes and you can go well over 200mph. So basically, this guy was falling at terminal velocity the whole time and also slowing down the whole time as the air got thicker.

Also, the speed of sound is variable. At sea level under standard atmospheric conditions, the speed of sound is 661.5 knots (761mph). As you go up in altitude and the air density drops, so does the speed of sound. Remember, there is no air in space which means the speed of sound is 0mph. At 100,000 feet the speed of sound is down to 587 knots. So it's actually quite easy to exceed the speed of sound without going as fast as long as you're higher in the atmosphere. Again, the speed of sound is relative to where it's measured from.

It's likely that Felix didn't feel anything abnormal going that fast other than the initial acceleration from leaving the capsule. The suit insulated him from the forces as the air pressure was so low. Kinda like the shuttle guys on a space-walk who are going well over 17,000mph. It's all relative!

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
Yes, Not sure if any of you know but this was something that was done back in the 60's just not from 127,ooo feet. The previous record was held by Capt Kittinger from like 117,ooo or so feet. The idea was, would it be possible for an astronaut to parachute back to earth if something happened with a space capsule. Kittinger proved it was possible, he was right on the edge of space, but was not in orbit (nor was Baum).

so, starting with a ground speed of perhaps 200 - 250 mph (speed of the upper atmosphere air stream) it is possible to exit, freefall, and open a chute with out burning up or what have you.

problem is that if you are in orbit your ground speed is about 23,ooo mph Orbit is, by definition, falling to the ground... and missing. To parachute back from say, the International space station, you would first need to reduce your ground speed to perhaps 18,ooo or 10,ooo mph. Something that lets you fall more to earth, then going past the edge (orbit)

The problem isn't re-entry, the atmosphere thickens gradually so a terminal velocity of 800 or 900 mph and a ground speed of 10,ooo mph would slowly be bled off as the atmosphere thickens... a drogue chute would also be used once there was some atmosphere. no heat shield would be needed as the mass of the astronaut and his/her gear would be small enough that the kinetic energy could be disappated on decent.

the real problem... is hitting any target, the earth is big, the astronaut is small. You jump out of the international space station and use a hand held thruster/rocket pack to slow down, followed by a droge chute... You wil end up anywhere... and I do mean Anywhere. Woods of Canada, to the middle of the Amazon rain forest. Prague to Easter Island... more likely you will end up in some ocean. The rescue guys would be on the way as fast as they could, but getting to any given point on the globe isn't easy, and it will take some time.

incidently I met Capt Kittinger, just for a few minutes, didn't know it was him until later but the guy was amazing, 10 minutes was enough... You could tell he had the same problem, fitting his testicals into any normal flight suit.:wink:

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
It's likely that Felix didn't feel anything abnormal going that fast other than the initial acceleration from leaving the capsule. The suit insulated him from the forces as the air pressure was so low. Kinda like the shuttle guys on a space-walk who are going well over 17,000mph. It's all relative!
Absolutly, from the Kittinger interview, he stated that he jumped from the gondola and had no sensation of "falling"... he said he though for a moment that some miscalculation had been made and he was "in orbit" with no way of getting back to earth...

he was able to roll over and saw the gondola and ballon speeding away from him at a high rate of speed... Figured he must be falling, but in the thin air, no pressure or wind resistance was flet...

that HAD to be a pucker factor 1000 moment when you think you have accidently acheaved orbit.... bugger, what do I do now?

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,369 Posts
the real problem... is hitting any target, the earth is big, the astronaut is small. You jump out of the international space station and use a hand held thruster/rocket pack to slow down, followed by a droge chute... You wil end up anywhere... and I do mean Anywhere. Woods of Canada, to the middle of the Amazon rain forest. Prague to Easter Island... more likely you will end up in some ocean. The rescue guys would be on the way as fast as they could, but getting to any given point on the globe isn't easy, and it will take some time.
Even Starbucks?
:dontknow:

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
Even Starbucks?
:dontknow:
most likely about a 50 / 50 chance between hitting the ocean and landing in a starbucks parking lot:lol:

·
Registered
968 Posts
That was bad ass, i watched it on YouTube. Id be all over that if i had the opportunity and the experience. 833 was the official mph. I believe they were aiming for the s.o.s at sea level, kitinger hit 600 something on his jump.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
168 Posts
That dude probably carries his nutsack on his back...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts