Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Getting to know your bike?

So what is the secret to getting to know your bike? How do you get a feel for whats going on with the tires, the suspension, the front, the back, ect. ect. I dont feel a thing, its probably cause I dont spend my $10 bill wisely (I read the book lol) and only pay attention to what I am doing and not the bike. Anyways hook a brotha up...

Thank sent from me to you (now dont you feel special)...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Just ride her. (your bike). You'll get a feel for what it does and how it reacts to different inputs and road/track conditions. It's just like sex with a woman. You know how to do it, but every woman likes it done a little differently. One may react better to a nice soft touch and another my like to be smacked around and have her hair pulled. Bikes are the same. Just ride her and see what she responds to. After a while you and your bike will be carvin' corners with a smile on your face and smokin a cigerette afterwards!

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Any dirtbike or even mountain bike riding experience? I think those help.
Even a mini bike like xr50 can be a good drill because they react quickly with those little tires.

Much safer to lose the front on those as well while learning to feel the limits.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Speed, 2 words: cold shower!!! :lol:

Bike design and tires are so good these days, it's getting harder for a bike to mis-behave. One sure way to find down is to take your 10R to the track and "incrementally" push it beyond yours and the bike's comfort zone. The unfortunate thing is sometime it takes you crossing over the limit to realize that it's there but then again, it's the price you paid for the lesson learned. :mrgreen: (Been there and done that). The upside of it all is now you know what to expect and the outcome. Others can't tell you how it is, you have to know. Books and people can only give you a snapshot of the situation and you fill in the finer details. Let take a frontend slide, people can tell you how it happened to them, but only you can experience it in your own situation (ie., location, temp, speed, tune, skills...) not theirs. The sensation of an on-coming slide can't be taught or told.

A lot of club champions are not necessary borned fast, they just put in years of track riding. Take Kenny Kopecky from Willow Spring Motorcycle Club for example. Kenny raced a 999R to WSMC's #1 plate this year and ran a low 1:21s lap in the process. When he first raced WSMC at Willow Spring, he did 1:45s. That was some 15 years ago and Kenny has many racing miles at Willow Spring.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
i found the best way to feel out your bike is time on it. But if you have a few riding buddies find a nice route of open road and some twisties and try "the pace" i like this way of riding and i find it helps in learning the bike. hope that helped

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Take some twisty roads, play with the tire pressure, suspension, etc...
Ride alone someday, and just pay attention to the brakes, the shifting, how the tires feel in turns, etc..Have fun.

·
LE Post Whore
6,275 Posts
Archille said:
Take Kenny Kopecky from Willow Spring Motorcycle Club for example. Kenny raced a 999R to WSMC's #1 plate this year and ran a low 1:21s lap in the process. When he first raced WSMC at Willow Spring, he did 1:45s. That was some 15 years ago and Kenny has many racing miles at Willow Spring.
Kenny is the man! He deserves that #1 plate all the way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts