Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Im going to attempt a Valve Adjustment soon but im trying to gather tools and everything that I need.i know im going to need some feeler gauges im just not sure which ones will work, I just put a bid on these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110518782019&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEBIDX:IT are these going to work?? also I think I need a micrometer what size should that be? any other tips on tools would be great, and I have been reading the how-to and many other threads on here I just need to know for sure what to get, thanks guys...

·
Registered
620 Posts
That set doesn't go low enough. If I remember right the intake is like 15mm to 24mm or about .005 to .009 and the exhaust roughly the same. You may be better to go to the local parts store or Sears. I picked up a set there for like $10

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
If you are going to buy a micrometer and/or dial indicator I recommend the brand Fowler. They make a decent quality tool and a relatively good price. I have Brown and Sharp, Mitutoyo tools but you are going to pay more. Check out motion pro they may carry all the tools that you need.

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What size micrometer do I need? My buddy says he has a 0-3 inch, whatever that means. Will that work? And should those be the only extra tools I need to buy to get the job done?

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Micrometer size 0-6in should be suitable if needed

Feeler gauges approx 0.0015-0.030in should be suitable as well.

Refer to the shop manual before buying

Dial indicator with adjustable base if you are timing your cams

You can buy nice kits that have all of the parts you need. Google search it

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool thanks man, I'm not really sure what any of that means right now but Ill understand once I get my hands in there. I was looking at my manual last night and couldn't really find any good info so I musta been looking in the wrong spot

·
Registered
609 Posts

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do not buy regular feeler gauges, get some tappet style gauges. They are much easier to use and get an accurate reading.

http://www.amotostuff.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=P554&Category_Code=zg1000_maintenance

Also a basic (I perfer digital) caliper is all that is needed instead of a micrometer. Obviously a micrometer will more than do the job.
Thanks man, but is that the only gauge I am going to need? or is there a set of them?

and do you maybe have a link for the digital caliper that you use?

Also I got outbid on those ebay feeler gauges so im not getting them....

·
Registered
609 Posts
That link was just an example of what you are looking for. Each one will come with 2 sizes (one on each end). If you look around I assume you could find a set. I just picked up the ones I needed.

Harbor Freight is a good source for cheap calipers. Digital gives you both metric and SAE, and makes it easy to read.

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool thanks man, sorry for the dumb questions I just want to make sure I get the right stuff since this is the first time ive ever gone this deep in a motor I just dont want to kill my baby...

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Do not buy regular feeler gauges, get some tappet style gauges. They are much easier to use and get an accurate reading.

http://www.amotostuff.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=P554&Category_Code=zg1000_maintenance

Also a basic (I perfer digital) caliper is all that is needed instead of a micrometer. Obviously a micrometer will more than do the job.
Thank you for correcting my mistake. Guys I work with call calipers micrometers. I have been working with calipers and micrometers for over 10 years I should have known better.

Sorry to mislead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts