Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the current talk of feeler gauges and winter maint of checking valves.. I did some research and found the best AFFORDABLE gauge I could find.

I order this gauge yesterday at 4pm and no joke it JUST came in the mail today. A 1 day turn around. Mind you I live in Columbus and it came 150 miles from me ;)

To the goods....

McMaster-Carr web product. Part # 2334A66, only $11 dollars plus shipping.

The important mm sizes..
.20 if you need it.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
i got a 6 dollar set from O'reillys. that has

Its a set of of 32 that does more than enough to get the job done

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
i got a 6 dollar set from O'reillys. that has

Its a set of of 32 that does more than enough to get the job done
Actually yours is a better set than biglipps66(sorry bud) and allthough you can add feeler gauges to get more exact measurements I would have felt better buying a professional kit that had almost every possible measurement between .13-.25. because me and memeber Goldfaster spent alot of time taking looking for the right one between my 5 different general feeler gauges some old/new some with angles it was a mess but we usually found something close but also had to add a few times. :badteeth:

I hope others chime in on this thread with some other choices with links for some better ones out there because usually at the Auto Store they just don't cover what us Motorcycle mechanics would like. :wink:

bloo

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine has a .07 and a .09 :p
All good.. together we shall make this the best valve checking thread on the 10 board :D

My numbers came out very snug :/
.15,.18 - .16,.16 - .18,.16 - .14,.16 IN
.18,.18 - .20,.18 - .18,.18 - .18,.15 EX (not bad)

Looks like a shim kit is in my future. Has everyone been using the kawi .025s or the .05s found on the web?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Mine has a .07 and a .09 :p
All good.. together we shall make this the best valve checking thread on the 10 board :D

My numbers came out very snug :/
.15,.18 - .16,.16 - .18,.16 - .14,.16 IN
.18,.18 - .20,.18 - .18,.18 - .18,.15 EX (not bad)

Looks like a shim kit is in my future. Has everyone been using the kawi .025s or the .05s found on the web?
Exactly...if you have feeler gauges that do .02 increments not the most accurate....if you have gauges that go in the .01 increments then at least you can guess....for example a .18 feeler gauge is not going in between bucket and cam lobe but your next gauge you have that is lower than .18 is a .15 and going in to easy than you have to guess the REAL measurable is somewhere between a .03 difference. ....that is huge it could be the difference between many things like do I need to REALLY pull the CAMs this time or not. :wink:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Bloo,

After our valve adjustment experience, I decided to check my feeler gauges that are 40 yrs. old. I have the exact size increments as codyc_13. I 'll be set when it comes time to get ot done. By the way, who is Goldfast? I've never seen him here on the board? LOL! Did you get the bike back together? The weather is amazing!!:helmet:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Bloo,

After our valve adjustment experience, I decided to check my feeler gauges that are 40 yrs. old. I have the exact size increments as codyc_13. I 'll be set when it comes time to get ot done. By the way, who is Goldfast? I've never seen him here on the board? LOL! Did you get the bike back together? The weather is amazing!!:helmet:
He is your evil twin :lol: and know I have too been lazy after work :badteeth: ...but will give you a call when I first fire her up. :eek:ccasion1

bloo

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just needed 3 shims.. ordered them last night.. better get them soon my place is start to smell like oil :crackup:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My valve check is complete.

I replaced the 3 shims with the ones ordered.. ordered from http://www.procycle.us/
Quick on shipped and cheap total price.
Reminder for anyone ordering shims.. YOU CAN BUY A "REFILL KIT" if you need say 3-5 of 1 shim instead of ordering a whole kit for x2 the price!!!!!!!!! Of course if you need just a few then order the few individually, but if you need a bunch in the refill kit range obviously youll benefit from that pricing.

I followed the manual and it was very simple, even a rookie should be able to do this if they follow the manual. The exhaust side has the main starting tension, just count the 28 links as stated and youll see the intake cam fall into place as it should. When I did mine there was obviously some small slack in the chain up top between the cams, and the intake cam was ever sooooo slighty "off" in timing... remember that when the tensioner tightens it will snug up perfectly and be timed correctly.

My measurements came between an average of .19 and .21 for what I had intended for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts