Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
^^^Maybe one day I'll be able to get it up like that.

·
Registered
348 Posts

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
warning warning warning.... this can be and is very dangerous...

you think you are opening the throttle... but you are not... there is about 10% of that throttle you aren't using... and yes, it makes a difference the throttle position even if the engine RPM isn't topped out.

once again, I must warn you....

part of the answer can be the 1/5th throttle... it will get you what the power plant has to offer... but it can make lifts a bit interesting...

I lift on my TLR with a 1/5th so it can be done and with control... but takes some time getting used to.

but might be something to think about

·
Registered
636 Posts
It took me a couple days to get used to wheelies with the 1/5, but now its no different. Makes it a little easier if anything.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I havent touched my gearing and my 2nd gen will pull the front wheel very quickly in first, even while rolling onto the throttle. Even in second it feels like it wants to lift but I usually back off at that point since I have zero interest in finding out. I am 281lbs btw.

·
Is still Slo
1,538 Posts
The bike will not uncontrollably wheelie, slide back some on the saddle..... The front will come up some. Like someone else mentioned, try the bounce technique. It is a technique that takes some practice but if you dont want to clutch it up, this is the way to di it.

In first, or second gear..... Accelerate significantly, right when more power hits, chop the throttle very quickly, push down on the bars (both help compress suspension), hit throttle and give it a tug on the bars..... I used to do this from 30 and up to about 136 if I chose to do so.

Be carefull, not just for safety reasons, and not just for mechanical reasons, but the better you get with wheelies.... The longer you will stay up. Until you get to the point of making slight turns, lanes changes, balance point leads to indefinite wheelie. This adds up to tickets in a fast way since any cop nearby will see you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here. Just got a stock 2012 zx10r & this is the first and only bike (bike 6) I've rode in 25 years that will not power wheelie. He'll even the 600's I've had would stand up @ 6k rpm with no clutch. Buddy says because it's stock & altitude (Fort Collins) but being that isn't is a litre bike and I weigh 165 lbs that is no reason it shouldn't stand up in my opinion. Thoughts?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,778 Posts
Same here. Just got a stock 2012 zx10r & this is the first and only bike (bike 6) I've rode in 25 years that will not power wheelie. He'll even the 600's I've had would stand up @ 6k rpm with no clutch. Buddy says because it's stock & altitude (Fort Collins) but being that isn't is a litre bike and I weigh 165 lbs that is no reason it shouldn't stand up in my opinion. Thoughts?
Greetings!

Quite the thread bump you did here, but that's cool.

Sounds to me like you have a couple issues going on with your bike if it won't stand the front up. The first issue is the reduced power from your altitude. That's normal and to be expected. The other issue is more than likely your technique. You're riding a top-end liter bike with stock gearing. So, if you aren't trying to wheelie it in the powerband at 8k or more, don't expect too much. 6k might work for some of your older bikes, but that doesn't apply to the new ones. They are geared a bit taller to prevent that power from flipping them over. Oh, and of course, you are trying all that with the traction control (anti-wheelie) mode turned off, correct? You've got to change your technique a little bit and do it right. (y)

·
The Pace
7,177 Posts
Yes, the 10r was designed to RESIST losing the front, unlike my crazy but beautiful 2007 R1, which I hated as couldn't keep the front down and all I ride are twists.

Best option is clutch up. BUT, on g4, I don't trust clutch. Many upgrade clutch but don't recall any reported confirmed clutch failures but this clutch doesn't feel like any past bikes. There are riders here that clutch up, but can't recall exactly who; they posted clutch ups, how I know.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts