Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my bike will not power wheelie. Maybe it's me, im fat, 230 lbs when i ride maybe it's not. Here's the deal. I know how to ride, like really really know how to ride. But I never have wheelied before. I'll roll into the throttle in first. Nope nothing. 3/4 throttle at 8k rpm the front end feels light but the bike just scoots away. Am I rolling into the throttle too much? 2nd gear, 8k rpm, just whacking the throttle to full open and nothing. No lift, gets light but zero lift. But I'll sit on YouTube and watch Joe Schmo accidentally start wheelying in any gear. Am I just being retarded?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Running stock gearing? If so going -1 on the front will help or doing a -1 front / +2 rear will help even more but a cost of top end.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
So, my bike will not power wheelie. Maybe it's me, im fat, 230 lbs when i ride maybe it's not. Here's the deal. I know how to ride, like really really know how to ride. But I never have wheelied before. I'll roll into the throttle in first. Nope nothing. 3/4 throttle at 8k rpm the front end feels light but the bike just scoots away. Am I rolling into the throttle too much? 2nd gear, 8k rpm, just whacking the throttle to full open and nothing. No lift, gets light but zero lift. But I'll sit on YouTube and watch Joe Schmo accidentally start wheelying in any gear. Am I just being retarded?

Definitely

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Running stock gearing? If so going -1 on the front will help or doing a -1 front / +2 rear will help even more but a cost of top end.
I like the stock gearing. Doing wheelies really isn't my thing, but I'd like to have the front end come up once in a while.

Definitely
Thanks for that slap of realization. How's your Monday?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,808 Posts
I'm heavier than you and can power wheelie in 2nd gear on stock gearing. You're not getting the throttle opened far enough and fast enough. Scoot your ass to the back of the seat and make sure the traction control is off (gen 4). You have to close the throttle and then whip it open like that. All in one quick motion.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: scout

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Your bike has KIMS an early form of traction control. It could be some of the reason you can't get it to wheelie. If you really want to wheelie 1st gear crack the throttle pull up on the bars at the same time you should wheelie just don't go on your ass.

·
Registered
682 Posts
This may sound stupid but try scooting your butt back on the seat further. If that doesn't do it and you don't wanna regear, have you thought about a reflash?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts

What does this mean? Like how fast can you go?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm a bit on the heavy side and with stock gearing the bike had no problem power wheeling 1st and 2nd... since doing the gearing change for some reason it doesn't do it as much. I can blip the throttle in first at about 6k-7k and lift the front every time. The slightly longer wheel base may be partly to blame

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
My Gen. 4 will pull the front easily in the first three gears. If my sack wasn't so old and wrinkled it would prolly do it in 4th too. Power wheelie that is.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your bike has KIMS an early form of traction control. It could be some of the reason you can't get it to wheelie. If you really want to wheelie 1st gear crack the throttle pull up on the bars at the same time you should wheelie just don't go on your ass.
It isn't a KIMS issue. I have felt that before.

This may sound stupid but try scooting your butt back on the seat further. If that doesn't do it and you don't wanna regear, have you thought about a reflash?

Tried that in 2nd gear. Scooted my booty all the way to the rear, 8k rpm in 2nd, and it just went straight. I literally yanked the throttle from open to close. Didn't roll into it.

What does this mean? Like how fast can you go?
Lol most definitely not. More of an explanation of my understanding of how a liter bike works. In all honesty, I think it's my fear of looping it that's not allowing me to wheelie the bike. It's the reason I'm somewhat tender with the throttle in first. More than likely because I don't want it to come up.

·
Registered
292 Posts
It isn't a KIMS issue. I have felt that before.

Lol most definitely not. More of an explanation of my understanding of how a liter bike works. In all honesty, I think it's my fear of looping it that's not allowing me to wheelie the bike. It's the reason I'm somewhat tender with the throttle in first. More than likely because I don't want it to come up.
You can try progressivly increasing the sudden twist of throttle from a point that you know to be safe.

Start with what you usually do and keep twisting a little more little faster until you feel the wheel come up a bit. Then you know about how much to twist how fast to start one at least.

And, just to be sure, you have traction control off, right? Setting 1 is still supposed to allow a bit of front wheel lift but should kick in pretty soon to let it come down.

·
Registered
313 Posts
You can try progressivly increasing the sudden twist of throttle from a point that you know to be safe.

Start with what you usually do and keep twisting a little more little faster until you feel the wheel come up a bit. Then you know about how much to twist how fast to start one at least.

And, just to be sure, you have traction control off, right? Setting 1 is still supposed to allow a bit of front wheel lift but should kick in pretty soon to let it come down.
Also remember to keep foot on back brake pedal so if you dont like where you going(like looping) hit the rear brake, just try to be careful coming down too hard ive bent some front rims before...

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Setting 1 is still supposed to allow a bit of front wheel lift but should kick in pretty soon to let it come down.
Aaannnnd THIS is how I found out. It will let your front come up about 6", I'm guessing. Definitely enough you KNOW it's off the ground!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Also remember to keep foot on back brake pedal so if you dont like where you going(like looping) hit the rear brake, just try to be careful coming down too hard ive bent some front rims before...

This and turn TC off....it'll happen.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's a gen 3. No t/c or cool buttons like you gen 4 guys.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Take off from a corner, slide your butt back til it touches the back seat and cover the rear brake. Accelerate to 35 but to me a little over 40 is best. Hit say 40 let of the gas hit the gas back on hard, it comes up, then let off some so you dont loop and try to maintain rpm or slowly increase. You can ride it out to well over 100 mph before it will come down n you shift, then if you want it will come right back up in second. This is with stock gearing. I dunno if this was all explained earlier in the thread, but if your having issues try what I said and it will wheelie. Try it in first gear and it should be simple, second gear is a tad bit tougher.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts