Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay I need some information on falling at high speeds in a turn and while sitting up straight is there a special way of falling.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Stop, drop and roll:thumbsup:

Seroiusly, there is no good way to fall off the bike at high speeds. Ok, let go of the bike and try not to flip to much:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
zx10ragentorange said:
Stop, drop and roll:thumbsup:

Seroiusly, there is no good way to fall off the bike at high speeds. Ok, let go of the bike and try not to flip to much:dontknow:
Yeah, the best thing you can hope for is to get away from the bike.. it happens so fast that you won't have time to think of much more

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
try to keep your head off the ground. dont let your feet dig into the ground either. that will cause you to flip and possibly fugg you up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Actually there is a way to crash, I have vast experience at this unfortunately.

I have had many crashes literally hundreds at speeds up to and over 130 mph.

I raced Grand National Flat track for 7 years and pretty much tossed a bike at every track on the circuit over that time. Just part of going fast is falling off. Most of the faster tracks We rode (1/2 mile and miles) saw very high speeds with very little run off, if any actually. The thing that was hardest to wrap my mind around was the fact I would reach the line of hay bales we spread around the outside of the turns at these horse tracks, or sprint car venues. You see the track builder would stand these bales on end with the theory that if you get into them you hit them low, they flip over you and you dissipate the energy of the impact by converting the forward lateral energy into vertical energy. The fly in the ointment is hitting this 150-pound stationary bale at 130 mph fucking hurts.

This is where technique comes to play. If I find myself in a pre-crash scenario. Knowing I will be on the ground in the next split second I release the bike and get my arms as close to my chest and kick my legs straight out trying to get6 as flat and stiff as possible. The concept is that I will slide and not tumble. It works. If you go fetal, pulling your knees towards your chest, you become a rounder shape with a higher center of gravity and stand a much higher chance of rolling, then bouncing and then you will lose control of your arms and legs and that is when the shit starts breaking or torn out of socket or dislocated.

Also by going flat I am making the largest contact patch as possible to help decelerate my projectile like body. Flat on my back at 120 mph at Laguna Seca earlier this year I was able to slide to a stop in less then 150 feet with nothing more then a few holes punched through my Dainese's My bike went another 200 feet cart-wheeling its way to oblivion.

The worse thing you can do if you are in a crash is throw out your hands to break your fall. This will more times then not, instantly break a collarbone as well as shatter wrist, break fingers, dislocate elbows etc. If you are heading towards the ground try to impact on the hardened corners of your gear, shoulders are best with elbows, hips and back being acceptable impact points.

In a crash sliding is a good thing bouncing is bad.

All my experience is track related I have very little advice in biffing on the street. In most cases street crashes are just gonna fuck you up.

I am too scared to even think about it
:eyecrazy:

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I just went down at Palomar and broke 4 bones in my right hand...untouched all over the rest of my body...sliding is good...putting hand down isn't...

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
grasshopper said:
okay I need some information on falling at high speeds in a turn and while sitting up straight is there a special way of falling.
i don't know if it would work for you but i usually yell "OH SHIT!!" right before i impact.....i think it helps to relax me...:mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Older Guy said:
I just went down at Palomar and broke 4 bones in my right hand...untouched all over the rest of my body...sliding is good...putting hand down isn't...
Steve!!!!!! I didn't know you went down at Palomar....did i miss the thread?? damn dude, i'm sorry to hear it and really sorry to hear about it late...you doing ok...pm me with the story...you need anything? I'll be going back to work Oct 10th..so i guess that means i'm healed..:sad:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the reason why I ask is that me and my friend that dose not ride was having a discussion and I was trying to tell him that there is know such thing as tuck& roll on abike when falling at high speeds you just have to be limber and relax so if I'm wrong let me know

·
Registered
11 Posts
going limp is the worse thing you could do. You need to get flat, get straight and most important get stiff. Tense up every muscle you have, squeeze your chest as tight as you can with your arms, try to stick your thumbs right through your nipples.

Seriously the harder you can flex the better chance you will have of preventing a limb to get broken or ripped out of socket. Muscles will bruise tendons will stretch but if you are in control you will have a higher chance of walking away, bruised, scraped but unbroken.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
My roadracing-crash experience isn't a whole lot different than sp2pilot's ... I've fallen off a good number of times, although not in the last couple of years. My buddy Jeff just fell off his GSXR yesterday at about 100 - 120 km/h at a track-day and is a wee bit sore today (but there really wasn't any serious damage to bike or body).

The best crash advice is to put on all your gear before you even get on the bike. Helmet, leathers, good boots, good gloves, back protector, armor where appropriate, etc. If you haven't good gear on, nothing else matters much.

In a low-side, you generally don't fall very far before hitting the ground. Let go of the bike and if possible, try to get away from it. Usually the bike will slide in front of the rider, and generally that's the way you want it. You do NOT want the bike sliding behind you. Try to slide rather than tumble or roll, and don't stick your arms or hands out except maybe momentarily to stop a roll ... but make sure the sliding has stopped before you try to get up. When you first hit the ground it feels like you are going way way faster. Then you lose the sensation of speed, but more than one rider has tried to get up before they are actually stopped. that is a BAD BAD thing!

I have only ever high-sided once (about 12 years ago), and it was not fun. If the bike sends you straight up, then until the sky-ground-sky-ground deal stops, you are along for the ride. In my case, I landed on my head and the bike landed on my thumb. (WEAR A GOOD HELMET!) I didn't break anything, but my thumb got squashed flat, and I got knocked out. No "how-to" can do anything when that happens. I don't remember anything from the time the rear end stepped out, until I woke up in the track ambulance.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm not trying to start an arguement but over my racing career I have talked to a lot of pro racers and the over whelming amount of info is to go limp and just let whats going to happen happen. There is no way you can stop any of the force thats about to be applied to your body so stiffening up only increases your changes of pulling something or worse.

One of the big things to remember especially in a fast low side is when you think you've stopped put your hands down on the ground and make sure the sky is where its supose to be. Then count to 10. Standing up when you're still sliding at 40 mph will have you taking some pretty big strides down the track and most likely end up with you going end over end.

Over all the advice I've been given is let go of the bike and go limp.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
We use to call that dead man postion. lay flat. legs stuck out. you should slide on your back and sometimes you will start to spin on your back. it's hard to remember all that. everything happen so fast.

·
Registered
94 Posts
:+1: with sp2pilot and GoFaster... Great responses.

Short answer -- low sides are way, way better than high sides; if you have any control of the fall at all, get the bike away and in front of you; maximize the contact (impact) area of your body with the ground, that is land on your body or long flat of legs & butt, do not break fall with arm or outstretched leg; get long and flat keeping arms tucked into chest or along side; don't get up unless you are absolutely sure you have stopped.

Of course, every fall off is unique. Try not to panic. Stay focussed on your circumstances and do your best to minimize your impacts to the extent you have any control at all. Again, impact minimization means maximizing your contact with the ground or any other objects to which you may come into contact before coming to rest.

So much for the short answer.

·
Registered
175 Posts
A pray to god is also good,but thats before you hit the ground LOL,any way is hard to explain a fall especially to somebody that hasnt experienced one,its too damn fast :heyyou:

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I've went down once and it was the one not many are talking about. the dreaded high side! ummm I didnt have the sky ground sky ground effect i had the slo mo thing though. I was pitched up so fast the next thing i saw was the ground about 10 feet away and i was coming in for a landing. the impact sucked! it was like someone picked up the earth and hit me with it. Uh i covered my head just befor i hit Brains befor arms. Yea i had a brain bucket on. from what i have seen and been threw the high speed high sides {witch still suck} are better than the low speed high side. the reason is even in the high speed you still have SOME forward momentum. But at ....30 40mph you go Strait up, pause Scream OH SHIT! and plop your down HARD! so there ya go my .02

1 - 20 of 21 Posts