Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to do complete tear down of the OEM plastics/headlight-assy to throw some track fairings on.
Does anyone have a step-by-step on how to go about the front half of the bike so I'm not accidentally snapping tabs.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Going to do complete tear down of the OEM plastics/headlight-assy to throw some track fairings on.
Does anyone have a step-by-step on how to go about the front half of the bike so I'm not accidentally snapping tabs.
Google is your friend. Or youtube. I pulled the entire front (windscreen, headlights, front and mid fairings in one piece) off this weekend. It's easy as hell. I would recommend a 3mm hex key to help with the nylon push rivets. The mirrors have to come off and then it's only a handful of bolts and unplugging the r/r, charcoal canister, etc.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesn't sound too bad. I had to disconnect that stupid canister once before when gaining access to the radiator. Any pros/cons to removing the system full time (both on/off the track)?

·
The Pace
7,158 Posts
Don't worry about plastic. Get the bike going and read this book about 1000 times:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Twist-Wrist-Motorcycle-Roadracers-Handbook/dp/0965045013/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530666690&sr=8-1&keywords=code+twist+of+the+wrist[/ame]

Once you sort out Code's basic the bike will stop bothering you.

·
Registered
766 Posts
The 4th and 5th gens are very similar and I've torn mine apart a few times. The easiest way is to start from the bottom of both sides and work your way up towards the middle. If my memory serves correctly, you're only going to need a 4mm allen, a Philips, a flat head (for the large plastic pop rivet thingy below the header) and a 10 or 12mm socket for pretty much all of it.

·
Registered
766 Posts
You can't take the front fairing off by itself. You have to remove 1 complete side from the bottom up to get to it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You can't take the front fairing off by itself. You have to remove 1 complete side from the bottom up to get to it.
Yep, just replaced all of my fairings- it’s easiest pulling the black plastic trim pieces off first. Unbolting the fasteners at the rearsets and middle of the frame helps allow you to get a short stubby phillips head behind to unscrew everything/pop the push rivets.

·
Registered
132 Posts
This video helped me quite a bit. Ya realize how easy it is after you've seen it done. I can't image gen 5 would be to much different than Gen 4 since most things are the same.
https://youtu.be/HeaG2bPLBPk

Don't worry about plastic. Get the bike going and read this book about 1000 times:

https://www.amazon.com/Twist-Wrist-...66690&sr=8-1&keywords=code+twist+of+the+wrist

Once you sort out Code's basic the bike will stop bothering you.
CAN SOMEONE BAN THIS UNHELPFUL MORON?!?!?!

·
Registered
766 Posts
I've taken both sides of fairing off, does headlight need to be removed as well?
Nope, The headlight can stay attached to the ram air tunnel. If you have all the fairings off except the middle one it could be held on by the rubber nutserts for the windshield bolts. The rubber nutserts are simply a friction fit into the fairing stay. Tug on them a bit and they should pop out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I see two screws on each side of front fairing which don't look easy to get to without removing something, possibly the tachometer or headlight idk. I've looked on YouTube for a video but can't find one of a gen 5.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I see two screws on each side of front fairing which don't look easy to get to without removing something, possibly the tachometer or headlight idk. I've looked on YouTube for a video but can't find one of a gen 5.
Are you referring to the 2 screws (1 left & 1 right) at the nose? If so, you'll need to remove the black trim piece on the inside of the fairings around the radiator. There should be a number of plastic push-pins on the sides (3 on each side) and then there should be I think 4 (2 Frt & 2 Rr) going straight up and down. Once the 8-10 pins are removed the trip panel should come out as one piece revealing the 2 screws. You'll either need to unscrew at a large angle slowly to avoid stripping or get a really short and narrow screwdriver to take care of em.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No I've got those two screws out. The ones I see seem to be to the left and right of the air box. One on each side, impossible to undo unless something is removed in front of them. I've pretty much got every piece of fairing off beside the nose piece and under tail section in which there are only two screws left on each side of the battery holder.

·
Registered
119 Posts
No I've got those two screws out. The ones I see seem to be to the left and right of the air box. One on each side, impossible to undo unless something is removed in front of them. I've pretty much got every piece of fairing off beside the nose piece and under tail section in which there are only two screws left on each side of the battery holder.
No idea what screws you are referring to.. but I pulled the headlights off with the front fairing. Maybe try that?

Once i got the full front fairing and headlight assembly pulled there were a couple screws holding the led light in the ram air duct, not sure if that’s what you’re referring to but those aren’t used to secure the fairings in place.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts