Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm new to this forum and have learned a lot from the threads and posts you guys and gals have shared. I'm a expert racer and track day coach for N2 trackdays. I've recently purchased a used 2011 zx10 and plan on racing it next year. I'd like to hear the opinions of racers and track day guys and gals on what your using when it comes to traction control. Obviously an aftermarket TC allows you to adjust the TC per gear which is a stand out big difference but, are any of you using the factory TC for racing and trackdays? If so, tell me how well it works for you or how it holds you back or limits you. If the subject has already been discussed then I apologize, please delete and point me in the right direction to read up on this info.:dontknow:

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Fireman and Dricked will chym in here I would say! Heaps of racers and track day gurus here, LDH is the parts dude and allways willing to help everyone too, Mike from RD great with parts and knowledge on performance parts! Honestly I could drop so many helpfull names and plus there is a mob I think in Italy or France that are flashing oem Ecu, s to full race spec that Joel has info on

·
Registered
225 Posts
Woolich now allows you to adjust all 3 TC modes in the ECU.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
If the bike doesn't have it, get a kit ecu/harness. It's very simple to adjust the TC settings with the software provided and for $1200 it really cleans up the wiring making the bike easier to work on. Any tuner worth their weight can tune it (basically the same as the Yosh EMPro) as well removing the need for a PC, although some prefer the PC because it's easier to tune with. Also a QS is easily added with just a sensor, but I'm sure your aware of all this.

As far as how the TC works, I'm quite impressed but would like the ability to tune it for each gear. If you leave the settings stock you'll find it FAR to intrusive and it will kill your lap times unless you turn it off. I have mine dialed back quite a bit but the "wheelie controll" still hurts my drive out of slower corners because it's somewhat unpredictable. With that said it's far better than a Bazzaz setup and unless your talking about spending big money on aftermarket TC it can be a useful tool.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the bike doesn't have it, get a kit ecu/harness. It's very simple to adjust the TC settings with the software provided and for $1200 it really cleans up the wiring making the bike easier to work on. Any tuner worth their weight can tune it (basically the same as the Yosh EMPro) as well removing the need for a PC, although some prefer the PC because it's easier to tune with. Also a QS is easily added with just a sensor, but I'm sure your aware of all this.

As far as how the TC works, I'm quite impressed but would like the ability to tune it for each gear. If you leave the settings stock you'll find it FAR to intrusive and it will kill your lap times unless you turn it off. I have mine dialed back quite a bit but the "wheelie controll" still hurts my drive out of slower corners because it's somewhat unpredictable. With that said it's far better than a Bazzaz setup and unless your talking about spending big money on aftermarket TC it can be a useful tool.
The bike I bought has already been flashed by Guhl but from what Ive read his flash has nothing to do with TC adjustments, just being able to change the modes on the fly correct? and are you saying the factory TC works better then a bazzaz? also thanks for you feed back and opinion!:eek:ccasion1

Rickey do you have a green gen 4 with checkers under the tail?

I'm also with driked regarding the kit stuff really works well. The woolich stuff is also something to consider if your on a budget.
No sir, the bike I bought is black and red. also thanks for the info:eek:ccasion1

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
Stock TC works pretty good.
Best option is to get the Kit ECU, it has a lot more options for the TC

·
Crash Test Dummy
820 Posts
The bike I bought has already been flashed by Guhl but from what Ive read his flash has nothing to do with TC adjustments, just being able to change the modes on the fly correct? and are you saying the factory TC works better then a bazzaz? also thanks for you feed back and opinion!:eek:ccasion1

No sir, the bike I bought is black and red. also thanks for the info:eek:ccasion1
Ah no problem I'll be seeing you next year as I'll be out that way hopefully!

There's a rick with a green gen 4 runs nc bike and summit he's a coach with motorcycle xcitment thought it might have been you.:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
No problem!

IMO it's much better than the bazzaz I have in my Gsxr. Don't get me wrong the bazzaz works and it's a bit more adjustable but I've never had my TC kick in on the 10 above 3rd except to bring the front down and at that point it's almost undetectable. I wouldn't shell out the money for a bazzaz until you've at least tried adjusting the oem TC. All it takes is a single numerical change and your good to go.

If you can get the Guhl software/cable for a reasonable price and you can adjust the TC you may be happy. The kit ecu has more useful adjustments other than the TC such as engine braking so if that's somthing your after spring for the kit stuff.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I have used the Bazzaz and the factory settings with the stock ECU and the Kit ECU. The best by far is the TC from the KIT ECU. It is not as adjustable as building your own Bazzaz maps however it works well and is tied into the wheelie control that will help with this bike.

So long story short. Get the kit ECU, if that isn't in your cards I would then consider a Bazzaz with the TC / QS / FI

The stock settings intervene too much and thus are useless if you can slide a bike.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No problem!

IMO it's much better than the bazzaz I have in my Gsxr. Don't get me wrong the bazzaz works and it's a bit more adjustable but I've never had my TC kick in on the 10 above 3rd except to bring the front down and at that point it's almost undetectable. I wouldn't shell out the money for a bazzaz until you've at least tried adjusting the oem TC. All it takes is a single numerical change and your good to go.

If you can get the Guhl software/cable for a reasonable price and you can adjust the TC you may be happy. The kit ecu has more useful adjustments other than the TC such as engine braking so if that's somthing your after spring for the kit stuff.
valuable info, thank you alot.

I have used the Bazzaz and the factory settings with the stock ECU and the Kit ECU. The best by far is the TC from the KIT ECU. It is not as adjustable as building your own Bazzaz maps however it works well and is tied into the wheelie control that will help with this bike.

So long story short. Get the kit ECU, if that isn't in your cards I would then consider a Bazzaz with the TC / QS / FI

The stock settings intervene too much and thus are useless if you can slide a bike.
Thanks for the info, Ill look into the kit ecu. Ive used bazzaz on most of my race bike thus far. I've like the reliability of my bazzaz units but if I'd benefit from the kit ecu more so, then it seems like thats the best way to go.

·
Registered
669 Posts
The woolich now is adjustable per gear. I've tried a few different settings and you can make a fair amount of difference in drive.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
The woolich now is adjustable per gear. I've tried a few different settings and you can make a fair amount of difference in drive.
What are the adjustments you can make per gear? The kit ecu is -5 to +5 for each TC mode.

Their website makes no mention of it and you'd think they would, that's a huge advantage and would mean their kit is more capable than the factory stuff.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The kit ECU and stock ECU have a pre programmed map for lean angle, speed, rpm, throttle position and gear.

The 3 settings that you get stock are 3 different maps (much like a complicated version of a bazzaz map that you create)

The kit ECU allows for addition or subtraction from that set map

My understanding with the woolich software is that it allows access to creating your own map. Or at least a couple of the variables (gear position being one of them)

That is how it was explained to me in any case.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
The kit ECU and stock ECU have a pre programmed map for lean angle, speed, rpm, throttle position and gear.

The 3 settings that you get stock are 3 different maps (much like a complicated version of a bazzaz map that you create)

The kit ECU allows for addition or subtraction from that set map

My understanding with the woolich software is that it allows access to creating your own map. Or at least a couple of the variables (gear position being one of them)

That is how it was explained to me in any case.
If that's true, I wonder if woolich works with the kit ecu.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Dricked: It does (Woolich working with the kit ECU).

Joel: the TC mappings in Woolich are not gear dependant. They are the same from 1st - 6th.

Fireman: There is no lean angle sensor on the bike... So it can't take into account the lean angle.

Give me a second or two and I'll post all the stock TC settings.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts