Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm attempting to install the stacks and for the life of me I can't get the stacks into the aftermarket boots once the boot is in the stock boot clamp. Factory Pro's instructions are vague and if anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it greatly. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Are you sure you got stacks for the first gen and not the second gen? Stacks are slightly different in size between the two.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Are you sure you got stacks for the first gen and not the second gen? Stacks are slightly different in size between the two.
Valid point. The website doesn't have model specific part numbers. The engraved number on the tall stacks is V45.3-60 if anyone can varify the model. If not hopefully their open this week.

Just did a google search and got a list of German websites relating that part number to a GSX-R 1000 so I might have a slight problem.

·
Gone
673 Posts
mine were really stiff too mate...
i put the rubber boots in the 'figure of eight' oe clamps first then used lots and lots of wd-40 to press them in...
as in put base on the floor and press down on the stacks with your palms as you wiggle them in. once half in get a srcrewdriver aswell to help ease the rubber boots up & around the stacks' bases. time and patience thats all. i thought something was up too when i first tried to install them.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mine were really stiff too mate...
i put the rubber boots in the 'figure of eight' oe clamps first then used lots and lots of wd-40 to press them in...
as in put base on the floor and press down on the stacks with your palms as you wiggle them in. once half in get a srcrewdriver aswell to help ease the rubber boots up & around the stacks' bases. time and patience thats all. i thought something was up too when i first tried to install them.
Thanks I was losing my mind. Last time I checked I wasn't this inept.

·
Registered
226 Posts
you can also try warming the rubber up before putting soap on it. depending on the rubber somtimes it makes it a little more plyable

·
Registered
464 Posts
Did you have any luck? If not when I get home I can check my stacks since the bike is taken down for winter maintence.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I bought my bike with all shorts in it and I was thinking about installing the to taller ones in the middle to help mid& low range power. How much re tuning will I need to do?

·
Registered
63 Posts
so found out from factory Pro that using 4 short pipes has a negative effect on overall power so I put the to longer ones in the middle and now I have a set of velocity stacks for sale

·
Registered
646 Posts
Well, you can use the old school trick I used to do to get cranks into press fir bearings. Put the pipes in a freezer (if it fits of course) and easily heat the boots up. The boots will expand and the pipes will contract. I used to literally drop cranks into bearings this way, and then set it in the sun and everything tightened up perfect. Did it on a lot of motors when I was a broke high school kid haha. Somethin worth a try

·
Registered
63 Posts
the rubber slides right off the metal stack. put it in the ring and then the stack pops right back in the rubber. took me 2 min

1 - 13 of 13 Posts