Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
keeping an eye on the Facebook stock. any one out there have any ideas or predictions on what its gonna do? do you think it a wise decision to buy?
I am thinking long term investment not short term. was thinking about rolling over my Amazon stock that I received for free for being such an outstanding employee haha.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I wouldn't see it as a long term thing, then again I know nothing about stocks. Look at Myspace friendster and all the other services like FB. Sure FB is the biggest right now but I don't see them expanding to other ventures out side of social media. I think FB is pretty much at its peak right now.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think it would be a bad long term investment considering you have to connect to facebook for every little thing you do now. I hate it because I don't even have a facebook account haha. I would actually be the first time I ever traded or bought stock. figured I would dabble a little since its free money.

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,371 Posts
I think it's going public at it's height.
I want to agree. It's hard to predict, but when ms was big, no one ever thought of any other social network. It was the place to be. Then it got ruined by MASSIVE advertisements and now when was the last time you or anyone else you know even logged in to my space?

Face book is great for what it does, but I watch the little things. Like when someone posts a video or what not and you want to see it you have to download this app, but wait... That app asks for you to agree to access all your personal info, comments, etc.. Where do you think all the info is stored?
%98 don't realize or care. But soon they will. And once that happens and they get more corporate, shareholders will want to advertise and they it'll get ruined and with in months or so will dwindle down. I could be wrong. But with technology and what not, it's inevitable that something else bigger, better will come out.

If you know stocks and the game and know when to buy in and sell, then you can make a profit. As far as long term? That's a tough one, It's not like something such as Apple, Ford, Starbucks, etc that is a brick and mortar that has been around for a LONG time thats hard to replace easily.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wait till Diaspora releases its final version:
https://joindiaspora.com/

And FB will crash to the ground. Boy, I can not wait for that day to come.

By the way:
"If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold"

And:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm leaning towards seeing what it does after the first day of trading. lots of people are speculating it will fall low after the first day and probably remain there

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wait till Diaspora releases its final version:
https://joindiaspora.com/

What is Diaspora? never even heard of it before

Oh and I wasn't thinking super long term from what I realized with most stocks is they get pretty high around the holiday season. so i would probably drop around that time. I just don't think it wise for me to day trade I'd be murdered financially haha

·
Registered
578 Posts
It's definitely not a bad idea if you're working for Amazon to sell stock from them for something else. Not that this is likely to happen, but if they were ever to go under, you would not only lose your job but your stock would be junk as well. As far as facebook goes, I think I would hold off to see how timeline affects them as well as other changes. I know most of my friends and I hate facebook more and more with every update.

·
Does not drive into smoke
2,156 Posts
The only direction in which Facebook can grow it towards being annoying. To me it looks like a bubble that will burst.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's definitely not a bad idea if you're working for Amazon to sell stock from them for something else. Not that this is likely to happen, but if they were ever to go under, you would not only lose your job but your stock would be junk as well. As far as facebook goes, I think I would hold off to see how timeline affects them as well as other changes. I know most of my friends and I hate facebook more and more with every update.

kinda what I was thinking. though I don't really see amazon going under per say I think they are growing to fast for their own good. they have opened up so many facilities. I think 8+ expected this year. one in California is confirmed and another one expected to open there. our building is slow. we have 4 buildings in the phoenix area. we also just expanded from a 600 thousand foot building to a million foot building and that other 500 thousand feet is just a big storage unit for dust haha hasn't been touched since it was a month after it was finished.

though the facebook thing is a gamble I do think it not to be a terrible investment.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just got this message from charles schwab

Urgent Notification

Dismiss
Facebook IPO, Trading and Share Allocation

Facebook (FB) is now trading, although we are experiencing some issues with orders. These issues do not appear to be unique to Schwab. There are currently industry-wide delays in reporting trade executions. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience.

IPO shares were allocated by 10:30AM ET. Please see Order Status.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wonder if this is why they aren't really doing anything. and hanging around the same rates?

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Like when someone posts a video or what not and you want to see it you have to download this app, but wait... That app asks for you to agree to access all your personal info, comments, etc.. Where do you think all the info is stored?
%98 don't realize or care. But soon they will.
I believe this will be their downfall. It'll take some big scandal to open people's eyes to the amount of information they are giving away, then the mice will scurry to the next thing.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I believe this will be their downfall. It'll take some big scandal to open people's eyes to the amount of information they are giving away, then the mice will scurry to the next thing.
I disagree completely. They are not forcing you to use FB and I am willing to be no one has read the terms and conditions. :dontknow:

You wouldn't walk into a bar and start handing out cards with your phone number, your address and ss number.

Same thing with facebook and if you don't understand it or don't feel comfortable with it, don't use it.

Think of all the spam emails you get and all the "you won a million dollars" or "i am a banker in nigeria and i want to send you a million dollars"

There are no disclaimers there and millions of people have been scammed. I trust facebook more than all the junk that comes through email or craiglist.

I like this quote from an artcle I recently read. I would put fear of facebook in the same catigory. Especially from old people :hello::crackup:

A hundred years later, as literacy became essential and schools were widely introduced, the curmudgeons turned against education for being unnatural and a risk to mental health. An 1883 article in the weekly medical journal the Sanitarian argued that schools "exhaust the children's brains and nervous systems with complex and multiple studies, and ruin their bodies by protracted imprisonment." Meanwhile, excessive study was considered a leading cause of madness by the medical community.

When radio arrived, we discovered yet another scourge of the young: The wireless was accused of distracting children from reading and diminishing performance in school, both of which were now considered to be appropriate and wholesome. In 1936, the music magazine the Gramophone reported that children had "developed the habit of dividing attention between the humdrum preparation of their school assignments and the compelling excitement of the loudspeaker" and described how the radio programs were disturbing the balance of their excitable minds. The television caused widespread concern as well: Media historian Ellen Wartella has noted how "opponents voiced concerns about how television might hurt radio, conversation, reading, and the patterns of family living and result in the further vulgarization of American culture."
"We don't grow unless we take risks. Any successful company is riddled with failures." Burke, James E. :eek:ccasion1

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
I disagree completely. They are not forcing you to use FB and I am willing to be no one has read the terms and conditions. :dontknow:
I did. :mrgreen: I read every EULA and TAC I agree to. Last time I didn't read it all....I ended up with a blue cord around my shoulder. :helmet:

To your point, it's ecactly why I said it'll take a scandal. Most have no clue they are giving away all their info. I have mine locked down and use zero apps. Still I assume anything I put on there can be seen by anyone. It is the internet after all.

No matter though. My bet is short term gains. I'll make mine in the short term and won't cry if I was wrong. :cool:

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
I am not touching that stock. Too many facebook addicts who don't really know anything about investing will be buying it initially just to own a piece of their favorite software. The reality of market-saturation limits on advertising revenue, privacy issues, etc will set in later. Don't want to own it, don't want to short it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts