Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode my bike into work, everything good...about an hour later, fire it up, idle for about 10 seconds, heard a very audible pop, and a cloud of white smoke...killed biked immediately, removed plastics, and had oil above the headers on the clutch side...what is it?...I've never had to do motor work or had problems, so this is new territory for me...I'm no expert, but an initial assumption would be a head gasket...I'll post pics in a few minutes...

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,798 Posts
Yeah, oil above the headers would normally be the valve cover, but a pop and white smoke out the exhaust is coolant getting passed the head gasket into the combustion chamber. But I guess I assumed it was out of the exhaust since re-reading the original post doesn't really state that. If the valve cover was leaking and putting oil out onto the hot headers....white smoke.

The "pop" is what's concerning. I'll wait to see some pics and more info before speculating any farther.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
okay so i just got off the phone with mark. sounds like a valve cover leak but like mentioned the pop is whats got me worried. he said the smoke looked like it was above the number 4 cylinder.

i had him fire the bike back up for a few seconds while i was on the phone and it fired back up and seemed to run ok for the 15 seconds or so that he had it running.

so lets brainstorm and help a brother out. i had him look at the valve cover for any bad spots and he didnt see any and when he fired the bike back up he didnt see any crazy leaks. what could have popped like that.

i am about to head to work then leave to michigan for the weekend so i wont have a chance to look at it in person but when i get back you are welcome to bring it over mark

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,798 Posts
The pop is not normal. I'd pull the valve cover first thing and check the top end. Cam chain issue maybe? Wonder if the cam chain whacked the valve cover slightly and caused it to spit some oil out onto the header. Don't know though. Seems like if the cam chain skipped or something to cause that, the valve timing would be messed up. Seems really strange to me that the pop, followed by the shut off and smoke would let the bike start back up and run afterwards.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
i am more thinking of something like too much pressure in the valve cover for some reason. any ideas guys.

i would also think that if the cam chain messed up that it would not run after. he shut the bike off after the pop it didnt die

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry guys, should have been a little more detailed in my original post, I was just so flustered!...The bike fired up and ran fine for about 15 seconds, heard a pop and saw the big cloud of smoke, I immediately shut the bike off and started inspecting...I would describe the pop as sounding almost like a plastic sandwich bag popping, didn't really sound like metal hitting anything...more like pressure being released, which to me would explain the blowout of oil from the valve cover...The smoke was from the valve cover, not the exhaust pipes...
I spoke with Cookmaster on the phone, and started the bike up with him listening and let the bike idle for about 15 seconds...everything sounded normal, no oil dripping out, or air bubbles where the oil previously came out...the valve cover seems to be in good shape physically, meaning no dents, nothing missing, no deformation, and is only above the #4 cyclinder, and a little bit on the cylinder next to it...Also, there was no dripping oil, only the initial stuff that came out, and a small amount of residue as you can see in the pics...The only performance mods I have are slip on pipes, and GIpro ATRE, and 15T sprocket...
So what do you guys think...Am i safe to fire it up and let it idle for a bit, and if everything seems to be ok, take it for a very gentle ride around my block? I really appreciate the help, I've never had motor issues or had to work on the motor so this is all foreign to me...

And Barry {coockmaster 30} you are the man, and thanks so much for the help...i 'll get the bike over to you when we can work it in our schedules...

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,798 Posts
Sorry guys, should have been a little more detailed in my original post, I was just so flustered!...The bike fired up and ran fine for about 15 seconds, heard a pop and saw the big cloud of smoke, I immediately shut the bike off and started inspecting...I would describe the pop as sounding almost like a plastic sandwich bag popping, didn't really sound like metal hitting anything...more like pressure being released, which to me would explain the blowout of oil from the valve cover...The smoke was from the valve cover, not the exhaust pipes...
I spoke with Cookmaster on the phone, and started the bike up with him listening and let the bike idle for about 15 seconds...everything sounded normal, no oil dripping out, or air bubbles where the oil previously came out...the valve cover seems to be in good shape physically, meaning no dents, nothing missing, no deformation, and is only above the #4 cyclinder, and a little bit on the cylinder next to it...Also, there was no dripping oil, only the initial stuff that came out, and a small amount of residue as you can see in the pics...The only performance mods I have are slip on pipes, and GIpro ATRE, and 15T sprocket...
So what do you guys think...Am i safe to fire it up and let it idle for a bit, and if everything seems to be ok, take it for a very gentle ride around my block? I really appreciate the help, I've never had motor issues or had to work on the motor so this is all foreign to me...

And Barry {coockmaster 30} you are the man, and thanks so much for the help...i 'll get the bike over to you when we can work it in our schedules...
Hmmmm...that sounds different than the way I read the first post.

Yeah, you should fire it up and see if that problem is repeatable. Just let it idle for a little while and get warmed up. Then slowly try raising the RPMs above idle slightly (and that doesn't mean whipping the throttle open and closed several times so the RPMs go up to 10k or anything). Just get a feel for the way the motor is responding and if anything seems abnormal.

If you do that and everything is A-OK, then take it for a slow ride down the street and back. It's going to be very difficult to troubleshoot if it's a 1-time occurrence. But you should not go beating on the motor until you get some confidence that everything is normal and the problem doesn't show back up.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update...I started the bike up, let it run for a couple minutes, everything seemed normal engine wise, raised the rpms a few times (very gently) and noticed some drops of oil on the trailer...so I looked up as far as I could see, and definitely leaking oil somewhere on the valve cover, but its on the backside so I can't see where exactly it coming from yet...just got home, got her unloaded, and fixin to start wrenching on her asap...is there anything special I need to do to get to the valve cover? I'm going to start by taking the airbox off, and I guess I'll just go from there...thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How do the actual throttle bodies come out? Ive got everything removed, but cant figure out whats holding them in...HELP???

·
Registered
629 Posts
You don't do a lot of stand up wheelies do you?

I've seen the catch bottle from the airbox fill with oil and then pop off and get oil on the lower header thence making a light blue cloud of smoke...

But the bike was already very hot...

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,798 Posts
How do the actual throttle bodies come out? Ive got everything removed, but cant figure out whats holding them in...HELP???
There are metal clamps around the rubber intake boots underneath the TBs. loosen those bolts and the pull up on one side of the bank of TBs. they will be in there tight so pull kind of hard on them and they'll pop out.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
There are 2 little holes in your frame that you stick an allen wrench in to the throttle bodies clamps. I was thinking maybe it was just a backfire unburnt fuel plugged cat?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts