Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having the issue with my 08' ZX10R where everytime I shift mainly down in gears it feels clunky like somethings wrong. I read on these forums that a few guys where having issues with cracked/broken shift forks inside the case. I rode up to Flatout Motorsports today and had them check it out, one of their techs rode the bike around the block and said it seems fine. He said he lowered my rpm's down to 1000 and said it seems better! I left Flatout and it was the exact same as before except for the bike doesn't want to idle for shit at 1000rpm so I cranked it back up to the 1700-1800rpm where I had it before. I swear these dealerships are so quick to say everything is fine when clearly it's not, The bike should not shift like this when none of the other bikes I've had did or the 07' ZX6R I have in the garage doesn't! Am I bitching for no reason or should they have at least cracked open the case cover to inspect the shifter?

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Well your idle is def way to high and should be around 1100...Take it to a different shop and get a 2nd opinion. My 05 shifts a little clunky at low RPM but shifts like butter when really on the gas.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Idling should be around 1100 rpms. Yours is too high, you should look into it man..

Also check/adjust your clutch cable and chain and inspect that rod.

·
Registered
236 Posts
:+1: on the high idle. My 06 shifts a little 'clunky' under about 3-3500 rpm or so but anything above that feels completely smooth when under a load, don't even have to clutch it half of the time.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
1150+/- 50rpms or so.

And I would take the bike back and let them know that their is indeed an issue that might take longer than a ride around the block to notice!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I agree with the idle should be between 1100 and 1500 in that range, I adjusted it while at a stop sign so I need to go out to the garage and readjust it down a bit but it's definitely gonna be closer to the 1500 mark.

·
SPLAT!!!
2,340 Posts
I cant comment on the shifting as mine is fine, but if you need 1500+ RPM's to idle you got issues my friend. 1100 should be spot on, i would have both looked at for 2nd opinion though......

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I agree with the idle too high. If it won't idle around 1100 something is wrong, and the higher idle will affect your shifting. However you said the shift was the same after you left the dealer with the lower idle, so maybe more than 1 issue there

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I prefer a higher idle, maybe the op does too. Mine will idle at 1100, but I keep it at 1400-1500 as a preference. Now calmly step off your high horses and get back to the original question.

As to the clunky trans, does it matter when it's on fresh oil? Cold? Low RPM? Mine does on all three. Old oil, cold, and low rpm's make a pretty damn clunky trans. Lately just shifting to first is a little loud, but I've got 2500mi on this oil - time for some new stuff.

Edit: No, no dealer is going to crack the cases open to inspect the problem under warranty. If they can get it to re-create a significant problem that seems warrantable, they will submit the claim. If the manufacturer approves the claim, they will then open the cases to inspect and repair whats needed. I would guess that there is nothing wrong with your bike too, so try another dealer, or wait for it to get so bad that there's no doubt it needs attention.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Take the bike to Dryers on W. Washington, they are better I have heard, but don't worry too much yet, it maybe only some minor adjustment issue and btw the idle should be dead on at 1100rpm. mine is anyways and always has been from the beginning.
And who said he "needs" to get fresh oil after 2500 miles, go on waste your money is all I can say, I had mine changed at my last inspection when I had about 5000 on it. Never had problems with 5000 intervals or more even on any bike I have ever owned before. I do have to say after the fresh oil is in the 10 the clutch does get a bit rough until the oil is "slightly used". :mrgreen::mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
If you read my post, I didn't say he needs fresh oil after 2500 miles. I said I did. Unfortunately my short commute degrades oil more quickly than others. Additionally, I'm sure my motor would be safe with a longer interval, I prefer the smoother shifting I experience with fresh oil. My .02.

Thanks for answering the op's question on another dealership to visit.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I correct myself, I went out to the garage and started my bike up and the idle was at about 1300rpm so I was wrong to start with. I didn't say the bike would not idle at 1100 but the tech put it right on 1000 and it felt like it was wanting to stall, I just plain prefer a higher idle. I left the idle alone for now at the 1300rpm mark and it's perfect.

I've been meaning to go over to Dreyer Cycle, that is where my 07' ZX6R was originally purchased before I bought it with only 1300 miles on it. It's about a 30 minute ride from my house so maybe next weekend I'll shoot out that way with my wife to get a second opinion.

·
Registered
268 Posts
silverbullet2005 how many miles on your bike, mine was a bit clunky at first, but now with 9500+ on the odo it smooth as any one could ask for.

·
Registered
434 Posts
get checked again

My 08 is on of the smoothest shifting bikes I ever had.Can even up shit with no cluch no problem. If your having that much trouble, I would have it checked again.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Better beat the hell out of it till it breaks all the way! They have to fix it then, Fun and productive. :thefinger

·
Registered
375 Posts
Seems like another squid noob that shouts too much?

Firstly set idle to 1100 and NOT 1300. No matter that you "think" it won't idle. If it does, its enough.

Secondly - adjuct clutch cable tension near clutch lever, rotating adjuster. It will help too.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
my 05 would shift harder as the oil got older as well....put new in and it was back to butter smooth.....every bike is different in it's quirks.....so try all the above things and if that doesn't change it take it back to the dealer. Just a thought but what oil are you using? Regular, synthetic, semi-syn?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts