Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other suggestions

Votes: 1 1.6%
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Extended Warranties, your opinion is needed :)

Hey guys......the dreaded idea of an extended warranty....

some say get it....some say its not worth it....

next month (January 2010) my 1 year warranty expires, and i'm faced with the decision to purchase additional warranty...which i'm considering

my bikes 1 year old, a little more than 16,500 miles.....i try and do all my own service/maintenance but i kinda am worrying about something going wrong..i guess im a worry wort :crackup:

i have done my research (and i actually used the search button:lol:) and have seen where the extended warranty pays for it self...but the extra $$ can pay for some nice mods for the bike being how its now winter:)

post your stance in the poll....leme know what you think

thanks and happy holidays!

5-F

heres the threads i used/found

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44078&highlight=extended+warranty&page=3
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51232&highlight=extended+warranty&page=2
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthr...hread.php?t=67673&highlight=extended+warranty
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57913&highlight=extended+warranty
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57913&highlight=extended+warranty

·
Registered
410 Posts
look at it this way....if the dealership had to pay out on extended warrantees, would they sell them?

sure, some people have made very good use of them, and come out ahead. But statistically speaking, I think you're better off saving your money. They know how many units fail, and they price warranties accordingly.

It's kinda like gambling...the house always wins. You might come out ahead once in a while, but statistics say you're better off not playing.

Just my opinion. Please don't sue me if you don't get it and your bike breaks.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
look at it this way....if the dealership had to pay out on extended warrantees, would they sell them?

sure, some people have made very good use of them, and come out ahead. But statistically speaking, I think you're better off saving your money. They know how many units fail, and they price warranties accordingly.

It's kinda like gambling...the house always wins. You might come out ahead once in a while, but statistics say you're better off not playing.

Just my opinion. Please don't sue me if you don't get it and your bike breaks.
hahaha thats now thats funny!!! i wouldnt sue you but id ask you to borrow your bike from time to time:) jk

·
Registered
71 Posts
I personally purchased it.
did I used it, no…… and probably will not.

But at least I know, if my bike breaks down and need a new transmission, then I am covered

But again as Chubbs said.
It is like gambling. Most of the times your are safe and your bike will not break down, but maybe you might be one of the unlucky guys if it did break.

At the end of the day it is your money, your bike , your call…..
Whatever you decide is a good decision, as you are the one that will be happy with the results.

Regards,

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
If it hasn't broke in the 1st year/16K miles screw it. I've had one thing (speedo sensor) go bad on my 05 and that's it. I fixed it myself for like $25. It's a gamble but if your mechanically inclined then it may be worth it to skip the extra warranty.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well, normally I never do, but at the time I bought the bike I had the finances to purchase it, so I got a 2 year extension. Recently, the alternator went out and they replaced all of it, including the battery for free. This occurred naturally at a time when I DIDN'T have the finances, so for me, it saved the day and paid for itself.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
look at it this way....if the dealership had to pay out on extended warrantees, would they sell them? .

IS YOU HIGH? there not backed by the dealership! there offered by them! there backed by the manufacture, and IMO I would say get it! I paid $500 for a 5 year extended warrantee thats $100 pre year for piece of mind! you a fool not to get it!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I got the extended GTPP when I bought my 07. It has me coverded till sept 2011. I felt the piece of mind was worth the extra dollars. I have not had to use mine but the zx only has 10000'ish km on it. I am not sure how it works in the states but up here if you don't get your service checks done at a dealership fairly close to the specified intervals you may get some grief from Kawasaki when you try to claim warranty work. This at the very least will result in a long wait for repair or possibly no coverage. If you are doing all of your own maintenance and moding the bike you may not be covered regardless. I did not ask about, or get any extra coverage when I bought my 09 V-strom because I knew I would be doing all the wrenching on it myself and adding mods and flogging it mercilessly.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
With powersports - one failure covers the cost of the warranty. You're rolling the dice, if a failure happens it will cost you more without the coverage. Sure, Kawi makes a great product, but if it breaks once in five years, it's still a pretty reliable bike, isn't it?

Yeah, the manufacturers are playing the odds as well. However, they stack them in their favor many ways. The least of which is screwing the shop that does the work. Have you ever heard of flat rate? Any idea how the manufact. calculates it? They train a tech to do that one job, put all the tools neccessary out (in an organized fashion), and time it. The warranty pays that many hours at a severly decreased labor rate vs. a consumer. A basic repair that would cost the consumer $600 (parts and labor), the warranty will only pay the shop $150 in labor, and ship them the part with no opportunity for margin. Why do you think a shop would always prefer a paying customer to a warranty claim?

Finally, I didn't vote in the poll. I don't know your situation, or what they're charging for the coverage. It's up to you, but if it seems reasonable, for peace of mind or any other reason, I say do it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
^^^ flat rate rocks hard when your a good tech man.. and i think(speaking certified) that its the way to go. i dont think some asshat with a wrench should make the costs higher on the consumer. the consumer shouldnt have to pay more because someone who isnt qualified is working on their stuff... not to mention the factory way isnt always the fastest, i cant compare or bring real numbers to that, but in my experience theres better ways...sometimes.. which means you get paid the same because you were clever and found a better way to do it.

sorry to thread jack... but now i wrote that and stand by it, normally i pull this crap and erase it and dont jack the thread but this is kinda close to me.

i voted mods. but that does(like others pointed out) apply if your mechanically inclined. mod your bike, if it blows up in the motor, mod that! either way you have a better product! i personally dont mod motors, to chicken to screw it up!

·
Registered
880 Posts
GET IT!!!! There is a seller on eBay that sells them much cheaper than the dealerships. Thats where I got mine from. until the last couple months, I thought I wasted my money but then i got a hole in my radiator. The warranty covered it and the part alone was $600 so the warranty paid for itself at that time! Then shortly after that, my stator went out. Warranty covered that too! Even if I never have to use it again, I've already got more than what I paid for it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
well this is how i look at it deep inside you konw how you ride ,if you are on the limiter all the time or abusin the trans get it ,,,if you dont ride hard then dont worry

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
^^^ flat rate rocks hard when your a good tech man.. and i think(speaking certified) that its the way to go. i dont think some asshat with a wrench should make the costs higher on the consumer. the consumer shouldnt have to pay more because someone who isnt qualified is working on their stuff... not to mention the factory way isnt always the fastest, i cant compare or bring real numbers to that, but in my experience theres better ways...sometimes.. which means you get paid the same because you were clever and found a better way to do it.

sorry to thread jack... but now i wrote that and stand by it, normally i pull this crap and erase it and dont jack the thread but this is kinda close to me.

i voted mods. but that does(like others pointed out) apply if your mechanically inclined. mod your bike, if it blows up in the motor, mod that! either way you have a better product! i personally dont mod motors, to chicken to screw it up!
I know what you mean. Valve guides, for example, can be done much faster in a way that works than what the service manual says (in most cars). However, in my opinion, there are more jobs that flat rate is low on than high.

Sorry for the threadjack as well.

well this is how i look at it deep inside you konw how you ride ,if you are on the limiter all the time or abusin the trans get it ,,,if you dont ride hard then dont worry
A lot of the time, it's a crap shoot. Yeah, excessive abuse wears stuff, but most warranty claims have nothing to do with that. Electronics, bad castings, friday afternoon build, etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i got one just not knowing any better just signing shit and every time ive needed it they find some reason for it to be my falt and i end up fixing it my self

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Try to negotiate with the dealer on price of the warranty. Just like anything else there is dealer cost and retail. I bought the gtpp plan on my 05 when I worked at a Kawasaki dealer and dealer cost was $320 at the time and I'm covered till july 2010. Dont hurt to ask.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thank you everyone for all your replies!!! ****UPDATES****

yesterday i received a letter form kawi with the prices on the extended warranty's
1 year $429
2 year $ 484
3 year $594
4 year $704

first impressions when i opened the letter today....F**** THAT....thats why i posted this thread up....from my research ive learned that i can order a warranty thru dealers on ebay....

i found one for 4 years for a grand total of $375...now i think thats a smokin deal!!!!!!!

leme know what you think...is this to good to be true....im thinking it is!!!
heres the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawa...4188562QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

have a good night everyone, again thanks for your input

5-F

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
After working in a car dealership (tech) I will always get the extended warentee if I plan on keep it for awhile. If you want to always drive new stuff then pass. The amount of miles you put on a bike if you have it very long things will break eventually.

·
Registered
367 Posts
If you really want it, I'm trying to get rid of mine, and can sell it to you (and transfer the policy to you) I got my bike in july i believe. I would be willing to sell it half off?
ill check exactly how it works. if everyone is interested. I do not need it since i'm going to be going track only
**edit mine is a 4 year plan**

1 - 20 of 55 Posts