Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I know that the gen 4 and the gen 5 headers are basically the same. So my question is what issues can arise when buying an exhaust meant for a gen 5 and try putting it on a gen 4? I am finding myself liking all gen 5 exhausts for Austin, arrow, graves and akra more then the ones made for gen 4s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
615 Posts
Headers aren't the same. One is longer than the other (gen 5 if I remember correctly).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Headers aren't the same. One is longer than the other (gen 5 if I remember correctly).

Yeah I'm aware they aren't exactly the same header used they have slight differences like the length but the diameters are the same and would bolt right on to a gen 4 wouldn't it ?

·
Registered
615 Posts
The one inch(ish) in length affects how the muffler is mounted.

There's an entire thread about swapping exhausts and t goes into a little more detail.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I just went through this, the gen5 runners are the same so they will mount to the head but is longer and will cause the mounting point under the rear set to not line up. I succesfully mounted a yoshimura alpha 3/4 gen5 exhaust on my gen4. That said mount wont line up unless i go to the harware store and buy a bracket. But its solid enough without it. Also if you are mounting a gen5 exhaust to the gen4 head, you need to remove the round gasket on the header outlet and then use a gasket maker paste and let it cure. Here is my set up and i love it.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just went through this, the gen5 runners are the same so they will mount to the head but is longer and will cause the mounting point under the rear set to not line up. I succesfully mounted a yoshimura alpha 3/4 gen5 exhaust on my gen4. That said mount wont line up unless i go to the harware store and buy a bracket. But its solid enough without it. Also if you are mounting a gen5 exhaust to the gen4 head, you need to remove the round gasket on the header outlet and then use a gasket maker paste and let it cure. Here is my set up and i love it.

Yeah I work with metal in the military so I can easily make a bracket that's what I was wondering. It looks good man. I'm thinking grabbing that new graves exhaust or the Austin racing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts